Super Smash Bros. Ultimate smashes sales records to become highest selling fighting game

C6EDE3FA-50F7-479F-ABC3-F9EFE34EBF5C.jpeg

New fiscal reports are in, meaning that the time has come once more to pore over dozens of official documents and pieces of information about how the game industry is doing. Nintendo has released their financial briefing for the past fiscal year, with one of the major reveals being that the Nintendo Switch has outsold the Nintendo 64. Another interesting tidbit stems from the sales document, showing the incredible popularity of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Since its release in December, the game has sold 13.81 million copies. Living up to the name of “Ultimate”, the latest Smash Bros. game has surpassed even Super Smash Bros. Brawl as the highest selling franchise entry. Brawl previously held the record at 13.30 million units. And if you’re going by a single video game release, Ultimate is also now the highest selling fighting game of all time. Super Street Fighter II sits at a higher 14.05 million, though this counts every major re-release of the title, as opposed to Ultimate’s single release, while Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS combined achieved a whopping 14.85 million sales, though when separated, they’re at 5.36 mil (Wii U) and 9.49 mil (3DS). Nintendo itself considers these games to be separate entities, due to differing content between the two.

:arrow: Source

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
View attachment 165075
So you're saying Smash is a Beat 'em up?
that's a new one, didn't knew wikipedia defined beat'em up as brawler (hint: they aren't. brawlers are similar to fighting games in the sense that you fight in an arena, but it can be against more than one opponent and the arenas are anything but a flat surface, it can be a true 3d environment too, also you don't need to input combinations to make advanced moves just press a button and a direction, items are also available. prime examples are smash, digimon rumble arena and powerstone).

have this instead then.
Nintendo Power: Why do you think Super Smash Bros. continues to be so popular even though interest in traditional fighting games has dwindled?

Sakurai: I think it's because it is, in fact, not a fighting game. The nature of it is similar to a sports game in which the player shoots an opponent as if it were a ball. The results are different [every time you play], which, I think, is also a unique and attractive quality of the game.

Last edited by Sakitoshi,
Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
that's a new one, didn't knew wikipedia defined beat'em up as brawler (hint: they aren't. brawlers are similar to fighting games in the sense that you fight in an arena, but it can be against more than one opponent and the arenas are anything but a flat surface, it can be a true 3d environment too, also you don't need to input combinations to make advanced moves just press a button and a direction, items are also available. prime examples are smash, digimon rumble arena and powerstone).

have this instead then.
That quote is referring to something like 4 player Smash with items on. It can and very often is played as a 1v1 fighter on standard (battlefield) stages without any items, though. And that's the reason I believe Smash has longevity: it has something for everybody, both the casual and competitive crowds.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

have this instead then.

Does it really matter what genre it is?

Reactions: Xzi

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
That quote is referring to something like 4 player Smash with items on. It can and very often is played as a 1v1 fighter on standard (battlefield) stages without any items, though. And that's the reason I believe Smash has longevity: it has something for everybody, both the casual and competitive crowds.
Even if you go to such lenghts to ignore 90% of the game to do that you still lack a tradicional movesets.
What's next? Portal is a first person shooter? You do have a (portal) gun, but the focus is complerely different.
In a fighting game your objective is to beat your opponent, in smash you just need to make it go away.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
In a fighting game your objective is to beat your opponent, in smash you just need to make it go away.
I'm not recognizing the difference. It's more accurate to say, 'in other fighting games, the opponent's HP goes down, in Smash, their damage goes up.' Either way you're trying to defeat the opponent before they can defeat you.

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Stamina mode.
Again, you ignore 90% of the game, it doesn't represent the game.

I'm not recognizing the difference. It's more accurate to say, 'in other fighting games, the opponent's HP goes down, in Smash, their damage goes up.' Either way you're trying to defeat the opponent before they can defeat you.
It's clear as water. you don't have health in smash, you don't have to beat them, just push them of the stage.

I know there are some games were the same apply (soul calibur), but those are largely traditional except that one rule.
Smash goes as far away from the traditional fighting formula that stopped being a fighting game and transformed into a brawler.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's clear as water. you don't have health in smash, you don't have to beat them, just push them of the stage.
Yeah, like I said, you build UP damage on your opponent instead of taking their HP DOWN to zero. Different characters have different damage thresholds at which they can reliably KO, but it's mostly consistent across the light/medium/heavy weight classes. In the default mode (stock), KOs are still your objective just like any fighting game. I don't have any issue with you calling it a brawler, but that term does invoke the thought of beat 'em up games for me.

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Yeah, like I said, you build UP damage on your opponent instead of taking their HP DOWN to zero. Different characters have different damage thresholds at which they can reliably KO, but it's mostly consistent across the light/medium/heavy weight classes. In the default mode (stock), KOs are still your objective just like any fighting game. I don't have any issue with you calling it a brawler, but that term does invoke the thought of beat 'em up games for me.
Yeah, but outside of pushing them off the stage, they can't die.
In a fighting game if you are down to 1hp and receive a poke, you die. In smash if you are at 999% and receive a poke you can still live (character dependant).

Wanderer0891

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do like Ultimate although as I've said before I wish there was more single player content as it feels like all the polish for Ultimate's single player went into Spirits mode.

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Man, this post was derailed way far by thus stupid genre argument.
Does it matter what genre it is???
If you like a game, just play the damn game!

EDIT: just for the sake of the argument....
I, too, would count it as a fighting game.
It comes down to the objective of KOing my opponent/s in a setting befitting the fighting genre more than a brawler.
And don't you dare using SSB Brawl as a counterargument!

Last edited by Super.Nova,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but outside of pushing them off the stage, they can't die.
In a fighting game if you are down to 1hp and receive a poke, you die. In smash if you are at 999% and receive a poke you can still live (character dependant).
that's like saying an rpg is only an rpg by listing the important bits of ff6 that make it fun. An ideal example of the genre, of course, but that shouldn't mean alterations to a great example means you should change the top-level genre.

It's probably best to define both as "fighting" games, but break them down into sub-genres, or even sub-sub-genres. Sounds like you prefer traditional arcade style fighters (which are awesome) that generally are slow-moving characters, zoomed-in, with a focus on quick reflexes and knowledge of complicated button-combinations and move consequences. Smash is more quick-paced, zoomed-out fighter, with a focus on quick reflexes and knowledge of move/stage consequences. And there are loads of fighters who are closer to one or the other, but Smash definitely falls into the same category.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could be worse, people could be categorizing Smash as a party-game :P

Back on-topic, its not that surprising Smash has sold so well in comparison to other traditional fighting-games. Fighting games have been designed to primarily be competitive. While this is neither good nor bad, this means its only meant for people who will play the game seriously. Smash on the other hand is a game that isn't aimed at anyone; its a game that can be played however you want meaning it can be enjoyed by both casual and competitive players alike. Smash simply has a wider audience meaning it will be bought by more people. Again, I should emphasize this is neither good nor bad but just how the marketing works out.

D

Deleted User

Man, this post was derailed way far by thus stupid genre argument.
Does it matter what genre it is???
If you like a game, just play the damn game!

EDIT: just for the sake of the argument....
I, too, would count it as a fighting game.
It comes down to the objective of KOing my opponent/s in a setting befitting the fighting genre more than a brawler.
And don't you dare using SSB Brawl as a counterargument!
''And don't you dare using SSB Brawl as a counterargument!''
lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt