Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Online Event to be livestreamed this weekend

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Monado_III

Monado_III GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 8, 2015
    Canada
    /dev/null
    this is a 1 vs 1.....

2. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Figuring out strategies and combos with characters' base kits is fun for competitive players. Items are flashy, but flashy does not equal fun for everybody.

Walk-off stages and oddly-designed stages are banned for much the same reason items are: they allow skilled players to exploit them for fast KOs. Battlefield stages (tri-platform) equalize the playing field so that character recoveries matter. Balance hinges on recovery being a central mechanic.

3. Monado_III

Monado_III GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 8, 2015
    Canada
    /dev/null
    Yes, and I don't even play melee, and since there is money involved in these tournaments, people will play in the most boring unfun ways (circles camping, infinites etc) if it gives them an advantage, some people are there to win and having fun is secondary to them, so stage bans help prevent stupid stuff like that and force people to play the game.
    long post

Last edited by Monado_III, Feb 9, 2019
  4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I know that, and I know they have fun with those rules, but man... They should be able to find some middle ground, outright banning every stage that doesn't follow the same exact formula as Final Destination is a bit much.
    Every player that wants to get into playing Melee competitively is forced into these rules, even the ones that are in it just to have fun and not to become the very best, which is a large percentage of them. I can understand why they're not allowed in pro tournaments with some of the world's best players, but even small tournaments that are mostly for fun follow the same rules, and for me that takes all the fun out of it.

5. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    Oh. Shit, you're right, then.

Monado_III likes this.