Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct Nov 1 - Roundup

Nintendo is getting right to the meat of things with its upcoming Super Smash Bros, as they've scheduled a 40-minute Direct focused on new information about the game. The remaining roster additions will be revealed here, as well as other game mode details. So let's see what we're in for.

Immediately, Street Fighter's Ken is shown as an Echo Fighter, and Pokemon's Incineroar are joining the fight. Incineroar's attacks focus on a lot of wrestling type moves. This brings the roster up to 74, with no further characters for the base game.

Before unlocking any characters in the game, players will start with seven to choose from, and will end up with 74 once they're finished recruiting every addition.

Just like with the previous Smash Bros. game, amiibo figures are being made for every fighter, with Young Link, Ken, Daisy, Ice Climbers, and more showing off what they'll look like.

The Spirits Mode was also shown, which entails certain differently powdered characters from Nintendo history giving fighters extra abilities, sort of like Super Smash Bros. Brawl's stickers, taken to a new level. An example of fighting against these is Fire Emblem's Owain being shown as a Spirit, which gives increased power to melee weapons, but also makes the enemy taunt a lot, like the character's personality. Or, with Mega Man's Guts Man, who will power up the enemy to not flinch easily, and use more grabs and throws than usual.

Additionally, these "spirits" will also be used to power up your added amiibo fighters.

This mode takes the place of previous Smash games offering tons of trophies from the represented Nintendo franchises.

The online mode will try to prioritize finding opponents that are nearby, and Nintendo recommends buying an Ethernet adapter for the Switch to get more stable connections.

You'll be able to specify certain rulesets for rooms online for matches. The Nintendo Online phone app will allow for voice chat, and a new app called Smash World will launch sometime after the game, which will focus on players sharing fun gameplay moments.

Spring Man from Arms, Tiki from Fire Emblem, Vince from Art Academy, Shadow the Hedgehog from Sonic, Akira from Virtual Fighter, and Street Fighter's Guile are all shown as assist trophies. This time, you can knock assist trophies off the map, giving you a chance to avoid getting hit by their attacks.

The Mii Fighter gets some brand new outfits to use, too, with a Splatoon set, an Arms set, a Chibi Robo costume, a Toy-Con set, and a Ray MkIII one all shown.

DLC has been confirmed for the game that will be out post launch. None of these will be Echo Fighters. Each piece of DLC will come with a song, character, and stage for $5.99. A season pass will be available called a Fighters Pass, which will offer all five of the scheduled DLC characters once they become available. All the characters won't be known yet, but the pass is $24.99.

The first of the DLC roster additions is the Piranha Plant, who will be free shortly after launch. The other five will follow by next year.

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Geno hasn't been shown anywhere as mii costume or else. Vergeben got everything right, so it's safe to say that there -will- be a second Square Rep.
So DLC > Geno or Sora
Vergeben also talked about Minecraft related stuff.
So DLC > Steve, but Banjo Kazooie isn't too far away.

Only hard no is Isaac, sadly, for his fans.

It also makes sense to have third party as DLC, as there most likely are royalties associated to it.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Geno hasn't been shown anywhere as mii costume or else. Vergeben got everything right, so it's safe to say that there -will- be a second Square Rep.
So DLC > Geno or Sora

It also makes sense to have third party as DLC, as there most likely are royalties associated to it.
and shadow, he was shown as an assist yet again.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Fuck the haters, this direct was amazing. Only three new fighters revealed so far, but Jesus that puts us at 75 before DLC character reveals. What other fighting game even comes close to that roster size? I would've liked a couple of those leaks to have been true, but there is still a chance for some of them in the DLC.

Don't know how anyone could dislike what they revealed in terms of the single-player or spirits system, either.

Last edited by Xzi,

Garro

Pendulum of souls!
Trophies
Website
garrothedog.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Chile
So DLC > Geno or Sora

Geno did appear in the Direct though, as a player avatar (which it's to assume he's a Spirit)

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Shadow won't be dlc, because Sakurai said each DLC character will have to built from the ground up, and no echoes.
just stated that many characters that fans wanted got shoved as assist trophy's.

Also i still don't see why sakurai doesn't make more alt costumes, srs every fighting games has loads of unique alt costumes, we get like 7 or 8 at best on a 74 roster...

dry browser,miss pac man, louie for olimar(i know alph exists but still...), twilight ganon,twilight zelda,armored mewtwo(srs how the hell we didnt get armored mewtwo costume yet?), big boss and so on.

So many good choices and sakurai could even sell them as dlc costumes, but he only does mii costumes apparently...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just stated that many characters that fans wanted got shoved as assist trophy's.

Also i still don't see why sakurai doesn't make more alt costumes, srs every fighting games has loads of unique alt costumes, we get like 7 or 8 at best on a 74 roster...

dry browser,miss pac man, louie for olimar(i know alph exists but still...), twilight ganon,twilight zelda,armored mewtwo(srs how the hell we didnt get armored mewtwo costume yet?), big boss and so on.

So many good choices and sakurai could even sell them as dlc costumes, but he only does mii costumes apparently...

In my opinion, Mii characters royally suck, and I see them as just filler.

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
More DLC in Smashbros... Nintendo is disappointing yet again. Just hold off the game until all the characters have been fine tuned and balanced, and stop asking for handouts for characters. I can't get around playing for DLC if I want to use my Switch for a Smash setup at Tournaments. What a terrible way of treating your fans, as always.
Aside from that, the content looks good so far.

Reactions: DuoForce

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It was bound to happen with some fan-favorites, especially since fans are always moving the goalposts when it comes to new Smash characters. Before these three were revealed, most people were saying the game already had everybody except Waluigi. It's simply not realistic to have playable characters who represent every Nintendo game, let alone every game in general. At some point you just have to be happy with an already-ludicrous roster size. If the majority of characters are viable in competition, then this is the Smash game which will have the longest time in the spotlight, bar none.

More DLC in Smashbros... Nintendo is disappointing yet again. Just hold off the game until all the characters have been fine tuned and balanced, and stop asking for handouts for characters. I can't get around playing for DLC if I want to use my Switch for a Smash setup at Tournaments. What a terrible way of treating your fans, as always.
Aside from that, the content looks good so far.
I'm not a fan of DLC of any type, but the pricing is definitely a lot fairer than you see from other modern developers. $40+ season passes are pretty damn common now, and the quality is very rarely as polished as Nintendo content.

Last edited by Xzi,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was bound to happen with some fan-favorites, especially since fans are always moving the goalposts when it comes to new Smash characters. Before these three were revealed, most people were saying the game already had everybody except Waluigi. It's simply not realistic to have playable characters who represent every Nintendo game, let alone every game in general. At some point you just have to be happy with an already-ludicrous roster size. If the majority of characters are viable in competition, then this is the Smash game which will have the longest time in the spotlight, bar none.

I'm not a fan of DLC of any type, but the pricing is definitely a lot fairer than you see from other modern developers. $40+ season passes are pretty damn common now, and the quality is very rarely as polished as Nintendo content.

And the season pass being 25, that's a helluva discount IMO.

Reactions: Xzi

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Question, why are people hammering other game companies for their exorbitant prices on DLC yet no one complains about Nintendo?
7 bucks for just 1 character, 1 stage and 1 song, basically you're paying for something that's already in the game. Its not like the 3DS/Wii U DLCs were cheaper too but damn.

Reactions: DuoForce

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D +1