Super Smash Bros. Ultimate adds Joker and stage builder on April 17th

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Something whatever

Something whatever Gazer of the East

Sep 1, 2015
    United States
    Can't wait to see how many cheeky people upload child-unfriendly stages and get banned for them.

The only thing I'm surprised by this video was there wasn't any hint or tease about the next DLC fighter.

Still, looking forward to Joker. Looks fun. Mementos has a great selection of music too, baby baby baby baby baby

2. WiiHomebrew+Snes

WiiHomebrew+Snes GBAtemp Fan

May 4, 2016
    United States
    This is PS5. PerSona5.

medoli900 and jajamundo like this.
  3. cucholix

cucholix Banners guy

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
    And I'm here with a 7.0.1 Switch that can't update to 8.0.0 :hateit:

4. AdenTheThird

AdenTheThird GBATemp's official Weedle fanatic!

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    Route 2
    Okay... Poochy as the next confirmed fighter... fingers crossed...

fst312 likes this.
  5. CainanC12

CainanC12 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2017
    United Kingdom
    London , UK
    JoeBloggs777 likes this.
  6. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    In Germany it's the 18th.

7. Beerus

Beerus Gbatemp's God Of Destruction

May 3, 2017
    Canada
    Universe 7
    whats the minimum version for 3.0?

8. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Holy crap, so many people are trying to download this at once that it crashed the server. :lol:

9. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    Just install the NSP lmao

10. fst312

fst312 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 4, 2008
    United States
    New York
    poochy ain't stupid

AdenTheThird likes this.
  11. Paolosworld

Paolosworld GBAtemp Regular

Jan 12, 2019
    United States
    Amityville
    Nintendo really shat the bed with this one. :sleep:
    Joker's move-set is completely dumbfounded to me.
    His side special is a better recovery that his upper? And it grants INVINCIBILITY!? How do you edge-guard him then?
    Who the hell asked for this anyway?
    Instead of adding someone cool they add daisy, this guy and a damn piranha plant? WHY?

Also, paid online and $24.99 DLC pack for this shit? They might as well add loot boxes now. :rofl2:
    SAD!

12. Bimmel

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Piranha Plant was free at least. ;-)

Paolosworld likes this.
  13. Paolosworld

Jan 12, 2019
    United States
    Amityville
    oh okay i take it all back

Bimmel likes this.
  14. MagnesG

MagnesG Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2016
    United States
    Did you need to pay for online to play Joker?

15. Paolosworld

Jan 12, 2019
    United States
    Amityville
    No... You don't. But I don't think that I ever say that you did?

To clarify, when I said; "paid online and $24.99 DLC pack for this shit?", It was referring to the full package, meaning the entire game.
    The only people that would buy this unnecessary DLC are Nintendo fans, who probably are into Smash, meaning that they probably want to experience the full game.

This means that if I wanted this game and was going to actively play it for, let's say, 2 and a half years...

That's $60 for the base game,
    plus $40 for two years,
    another $16 for the half year,
    and $25 for the DLC
    ...THAT IS $141 (not including additional DLC, mind you)

Technically, you could only get away with paying for Joker exclusively for $6, but STILL.
    SIX WHOLE DOLLARS for another throwaway character? Nobody would buy that.

The fact that you even are REQUIRED to pay to experience the online play is just insulting.
    Nintendo thinks that their fans are so blinded by hype culture and brand loyalty that they can suck dollars from them.

The worst part is, they're totally right.

16. SexySpai

SexySpai xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    your mom lol
  17. Bimmel

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
  18. Peninsula

Peninsula GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2014
    United States

I'm really confused as to what you're complaining about. Are you upset that that people have the option to buy DLC and access to online play? Like, I hate to break it to you, but paying for DLC and online gameplay has been going for a long time and is not exclusive to Smash Bros. Microsfot and Sony also charge a monthly fee for using their consoles online, and currently Nintendo has the cheapest rate for online play.

And $141 for 2 and half years of a fun game is not bad at all. That comes to a little over 15 cents per day, but if that's still too expensive, just don't buy the DLC. You clearly don't like Joker anyway so just skip it. Or skip the online service. Or skip buying Smash Bros in general if it's not worth $60 to you and just play a free to play game like Fortnite if you're just concerned with spending as little money as possible.

19. MagnesG

MagnesG Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2016
    United States
    That's not true at all, for me I don't even plan to subscribe if I'd just want to play online smash. I'd say if I was really desperate, I could pay for 2 months tops = $8 individual plan. I can search for a physical copy so I can sell it later for maybe with $10-20 loss. $6 for Joker DLC also includes 1 new stage, new spirit mode fights and 11 new soundtracks. Not even a huge Persona fan but I still can tell that was a good price for a piece of DLC.

You're exaggerating. A lot.

Edit Lol just googled NSO pricings, it was $8 for 3 months.

Last edited by MagnesG, Apr 19, 2019
  20. Paolosworld

Jan 12, 2019
    United States
    Amityville
    Funny that you claim I exaggerated, and yet do the same yourself

The whole appeal of smash bros (at least for most people I know) is that it's a PvP game, perfect for playing with other people.
    Nobody would buy the online service for ONLY playing 3 months worth of smash matches, as the paid online fee is a barrier applying to ALL SWITCH GAMES. People usually would want to play online mode in more games than just smash, let alone for only two months.

You also say that if you were "desperate", you would buy the plan with the LEAST amount of online access and only play the game for 3 MONTHS before selling it?
    You literally named the least desperate and cheapest possible way one could play the game.
    ... And you didn't even get the real numbers right.

For the record, the singular Joker DLC is $6, but the rest of the DLC (the full package, as I called it) will run you $25 WITH the discount. And once we throw in some more realistic online purchases and also don't pretend like most people would resell the game that quickly, the figures you used are exposed as to be underrepresented.
    In other words; You're sugarcoating. A lot.

And how on earth would 1 stage, 1 character and 11 soundtracks amount to $6? The full game itself is $60 and it has 103 stages, 74 characters, a shit-ton of music and the base game itself. The DLC doesn't even come CLOSE to adding 10% more content, and yet you somehow think that it "was a good price for a piece of DLC"?

Not trying to be mean here but that post was a perfect example of the apologist mindset that Nintendo is abusing.

EDIT: Also thanks for the correction on the month fees, I thought it was for only two months

Last edited by Paolosworld, Apr 19, 2019