Super Smash Bros Ultimate Accessory Roundup - Nostalgia Strikes Back

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Scarlet, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Scarlet
    OP

Scarlet A Convenient Oddity

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    Ahh, the Hori ones release next week in the UK. That's where I've got myself a little mixed up. Good to know! Let me know how you get on with the Hori pad, I'm direly tempted to grab the Luigi one myself.

2. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA

I love my Hori pad. It feels just like a GameCube pad but with the added buttons. I don't exactly like the rubber system buttons (Plus, Minus, Home, Capture and Turbo). Who uses rubber buttons in 2018?! I DO love the triggers. While they are not analog, they have a tiny "spring" in them, allowing for a smooth, soft push that feels very enjoyable. A few notes. ZL, ZR, L and R are physically reversed. You can swap them back simply by holding the bumpers before plugging in the controller. The setting will stay until you perform the button combination again. Lastly, this controller is completely PC compatible. I tried it with a few Steam games before plugging it back to my Switch dock. Since I already have a pair of GameCube styled controllers for my PC (check out the Hyperkin ProCube) I purchased the Hori and PDP pads purely for gaming on Switch. I am definitely not a fan of the traditional SNES button arrangement. Give me GameCube buttons any day!

Scarlet likes this.
  3. Scarlet
    OP

Scarlet A Convenient Oddity

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    aaaaaand suddenly it clicks why they have the bumper swap button. Because on a traditional cube controller, Z is at the front, with L and R at the back, while modern ones are the opposite. It makes sense now lol. Dang though, I think you've sold me on it.

LightyKD likes this.
  4. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA

Exactly. It's funny how Hori mucked up and un-mucked the controller at the same time by adding the software swap feature. I can't wait to see my PDP controllers soon. I do like that the character emblems are molded onto the PDP pads, giving them a more premium feel.

Last edited by LightyKD, Dec 1, 2018 - Reason: My phone is "drunk" and commercials keep popping up.
  5. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Most of gbatemp played it last week, old game now, waiting on smash 6.

Bst22322, Vorde and Eddypikachu like this.
  6. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I can't stand unofficial controllers. I've never used one that felt like it's as good of quality. Probably because most want to be cheap and "accessible". I'm curious how PowerA's controllers stand up tbh. I love my wavebird, but it's kind of gone missing.

The new smash controller Nintendo released felt weird at first, but comparing them side by side with my perfectly functioning original gamecube controller, all of the buttons feel better. The feel of the controller body's plastic is worse though, oddly. It feels cheaper.

The 8bitdo wireless adapter is a curious device. If it's well reviewed i'll probably grab one. Seems like the best of both worlds for me.

Vorde likes this.
  7. Ericthegreat

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    When you have 4 players, cheaper ones are important (especially for younger guys), also some kids go through controllers fast, so best to buy cheap.

8. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I understand the concept behind it, I just wish companies would cater to both markets. Then I might actually buy their product. There's plenty of people who would buy a good quality alternative if it emulated the original controller well, or even better.

9. Vorde

Vorde GBAtemp Regular

Jul 8, 2015
    Canada
    Gotta teach these kids and younger guys how to not break things. My NES and SNES controllers are the original ones I have been using forever. I guess what I am saying, is that official expensive controllers wont break as fast as the cheaper controllers. A person who buys cheap usually has to buy it again.

10. TerraPhantm

TerraPhantm GBAtemp Fan

Jul 27, 2007
    United States
    The smash controllers (both the ssb4 and ssbu ones) have a more textured finish for whatever reason. I don’t think it’s truly any cheaper. Maybe Nintendo thought a slightly grippier controller would be good for smash.

The original Gamecube ones and the white Gamecube branded one that came out with the Wii all have a smoother finish (and it’s not just age, my white Gamecube branded one and white smash4 controllers both have a similar amount of use on them)

11. Ericthegreat

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    I never had this issue, nor did one of my brothers, the 3rd would chew on his thumbsticks....

12. Thesolcity

Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

Oct 2, 2010
    United States
    San Miguel
    Are the controllers the same that released for the WiiU? Obviously they have a high chance of not being compatible but I was curious if the internals and dongles and stuff were the same.

13. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    I would assume so. I don't think they'd change anything considering they're just GameCube controllers... And it looks to be the same USB adapter.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Not everyone... Mostly because they're blissfully unaware of the internal issues 3rd party controllers have.

14. Thesolcity

Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

Oct 2, 2010
    United States
    San Miguel
    I think its USB-C no? I haven't been able to read today so I might be wrong.

15. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    The official Nintendo controllers are gamecube connection I do believe. The Power A controllers are USB

Vorde likes this.
  16. jamezfat

jamezfat GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2016
    United States
    Still stuck in 2009...
    personally, i'll be playing with a gameboy micro with a gcn input payload over a modified gba>gcn link cable.
    truly the best way to play smash...
    aside from the dk bongos of course, but those are obviously so great of an advantage the competitive scene wont allow them...

tbf, i'll kinda miss using a 3ds as a controller...
    that was pretty neat.
    and the c nub was great for smash attacks.