GCN Super Smash Bros Melee: Gamecube - Wii versus Gamecube with HDMI Adapter

dman777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only play the game Smash Bros for GameCube.

Right now I play it on the Wii. But, I hate using the Wii wand and the menu system. I also get annoyed I have to hold the power button for a few seconds to turn the system off.

If I bought a gamecube and a hdmi adapter, would the Super Smash Bros Melee: Gamecube look as good as it does when it plays on the Wii?

Last edited by dman777,

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, it matters more on the fact that the Gamecube can only display it's output at one resolution since it only has so much power.

You'd have a better chance making a backup of your copy of Melee and running it through Dolphin on a semi-modern computer for even a slight improvement in visual fidelity.

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use priiloader with nintendont, you can boot directly to a game selection menu that you can control with your gamecube controller to boot your game disc or dump.
Then you can press B + Z + R + D-Pad down at anytime to shutdown your console.
According to some tech channels on Youtube the best video signal seems to come from the gamecube for gamecube games but it isn't really noticable compared to a wii.
With a component cable and patching the game to progressive mode + widescreen with nintendont you get a really good picture on your wii as well.

And if you are willing to spend a lot of money there is a chip called wii dual that allows you to get the best possible picture out of your wii through hdmi.

Last edited by Wuigi,

Deleted member 386348

local death grips enthusiast
Trophies
XP
If the Wii menu and the remote are cumbersome, you could always install homebrew on your wii and have it boot directly to Nintendont or the Game Disc through Priiloader.

dman777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Deleted member 386348

local death grips enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Reading here http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ecube_hdmi_adapter_-_gc_video_plug_n_play_3_0 it saids that this particular hdmi adapter will output to 480p. Wouldn't that equal the Wii's output for gamecube smash?
I believe the best quality you can get is 480p progressive scan without emulation. With emulation, you can get up to either 1080p and IIRC 4K depending on your hardware. The best quality on Wii should be a component cable with a forced progressive scan mod (Nintendont)

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@dman777 Melee natively supports 480p when pressing b on startup, so you don't have to patch it to put out that signal.

For both Wii and gamecube you need a component cable so they can both can put out 480p with really minor differences in color and sharpness.
The adapter only makes things more convenient for a gamecube as cables are expensive and you have hdmi without needing to buy such cable.

For Melee the focus is also on latency I think with all the frame perfect input stuff.
So probably a 480i signal on a crt is more ideal for that game, that can also be transferred in better quality via said adapters and cables.

Last edited by Wuigi,

dman777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The other option is to buy a used Switch and the new Melee and play the Gamecube version stages. Do those same Gamecube stages play different/have a different feel than the original game cube version?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Switching my home routing/firewall solution from pfsense to OPNsense. Boy how I hate networking...