Hacking Super Smash Bros Black Screen on rxTools

PaolaScorpio

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Ok, guys, I've searched everywhere and got no solution at all.

I've installed rxTools 3.0 Nightly, and got emuNAND with the latest firmware. I have an old 3DS USA, and switched emuNAND version to EUR.

I've installed a lot of CIA games, like Zelda Triforce Heroes and Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon, that are running smoothly. However, although the installation seemed to be successful, whenever I try to launch Super Smash Bros, I get the Nintendo 3DS screen followed by a plain Black Screen, that freezes the console, so that I have to force it to power off. Unlike many other people, I have no error message whatsoever.

At first, I thought the problem could be the game file. I've downloaded many Super Smash CIA files, from many sources. I've tried to convert .3ds files to .cia files. They all had the same result.

I've decided to format the console in order to fully separate emuNAND, as many people told me to do. It didn't work at all.

I've tried other rxTools versions - 2.5, 2.6... Same problem. I got back to the 3.0 Nightly. Nothing seems to make Super Smash work.

Any ideas?

D

Deleted-236924

This video is private.

idk, it's supposed to work, wild guess is that region-changed emunand might interfere with playing MH4 or SSB4 but I don't actually know.

SSB4 has to reboot into extended memory mode on O3DS (and MH4) which are the only games to really do that.

Last edited by ,

PaolaScorpio

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sorry, video is public now.

I'll check the region change thing, even if the super smash cia should be region free, and I've tried both eur and usa versions of the game. I've only changed the region 'cause I wanted to play in italian. :)

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

D

Deleted-236924

I'll check the region change thing, even if the super smash cia should be region free, and I've tried both eur and usa versions of the game. I've only changed the region 'cause I wanted to play in italian. :)

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

I have no idea, maybe region changing breaks extended memory mode or something, or maybe it doesn't. If you've tried downloading multiple different .cias or even roms and converted to .cia yourself and they all fail at the same point, then something's up.

Might have to see if others with region-changed emunand can run that game properly.

Reactions: samiam144

Ermelber

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Italy
The "iso" site is a good source. I don't think it's the problem though, since you ACTUALLY managed to install it. There has to be something within your CFW that makes it not work. Maybe there is some setting you have to change in rxTools? IDK
There is something you can try:
Since Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and Monster Hunter Cross work the same way as Super Smash Bros 3DS, you could try getting one of these and see if they boot up.

PaolaScorpio

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So... I've installed Monster Hunter Cross, and got the same precise problem.
Then, I tried to install Super Smash via HANS, on Homebrew Launcher, and it seemed to work... Until I tried to start a match, when everything froze again on a black screen.
Also, installing the american cia for Chibi-Robo gives me a yellow screen.

I think I'll let emuNAND in US and use HANS to translate the games to italian. I hope that'll work. :/

D

Deleted-236924

You can't run Smash through HANS on an O3DS, because Smash relies on the 3DS rebooting into extended memory mode to work properly. I don't think HANS can do that, so Smash doesn't have access to enough resources and crashes.

If you are interested, I'd recommend checking out NTR-CFW, more specifically, the LayeredFS plugin. That should do the same thing as HANS does except without having to be in HBL and using HANS.
Not entirely sure if anything NTR-CFW would get unloaded once Smash has to reboot into extended memory mode, so that might not work for Smash. But may be possible to get it working for other games.

Ermelber

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Italy
You can't run Smash through HANS on an O3DS, because Smash relies on the 3DS rebooting into extended memory mode to work properly. I don't think HANS can do that, so Smash doesn't have access to enough resources and crashes.

If you are interested, I'd recommend checking out NTR-CFW, more specifically, the LayeredFS plugin. That should do the same thing as HANS does except without having to be in HBL and using HANS.
Not entirely sure if anything NTR-CFW would get unloaded once Smash has to reboot into extended memory mode, so that might not work for Smash. But may be possible to get it working for other games.

MHX doesn't work with these games. Also why do you want to play in Italian :3 (I'm Italian, lol)

PaolaScorpio

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

MHX doesn't work with these games. Also why do you want to play in Italian :3 (I'm Italian, lol)
Why? Well, can't a girl just want to practice a language she has studied for 6 years, in order to keep it sharp?

Nah, I do that everyday already. Actually, the only reason I wrote in this forum is that my boyfriend, who's from Torino and is the real 3DS player, doesn't speak english. ;)

darklordrs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Quick question: how exactly do I use LayeredFS? I have all the necessary files apparently, but ctrtool has been repetitively feeding me "not a valid win32 application" and the batch file that has to be used on my exefs feeds me "the application has failed to start because msvcr110d.dll was not found."

Jordyboppers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i've got exactly the same problem I can not get super smash to boot just kicks me out with an error like OP. Ive installed what I think is the latest rxtools and installed custom firmware switcher which has a separate mode for smash and monster hunter..still no luck :/?

Jordyboppers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah right ok I see no my EMUNAND is still on 9.2.0 after I did the downgrade yesterday, sorry for the noob question but is it as simple as just running the regular update to 10.3 in EMUNAND?

Tenshi_Okami

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Ah right ok I see no my EMUNAND is still on 9.2.0 after I did the downgrade yesterday, sorry for the noob question but is it as simple as just running the regular update to 10.3 in EMUNAND?
Unlink the emunand bu Formating on Sysnand while the SD Card is removed
Then make sure you're on Emunand(should have RX-E at the left side of the Version)
then update like normally

Just make sure it says RX-E!!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Chuck your brain out the window, it's useless, use your head instead