Hacking Super Smash Bros 3DS - 9.2.0-17U Update

TehCheez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been waiting until I have enough funds to get a Gateway 3DS, so I've been careful to keep my WiFi off so it won't auto update. I wasn't too worried about games forcing me to update because to my knowledge the newest update available on a game cart is Super Smash Bros 3DS with update 8.1.

I received Super Smash Bros 3DS today and when I started the game it asked me to update to 9.2.0-17U. I visited the Gateway 3DS website and confirmed it supported up to 9.2 so I went ahead with the update. It wasn't until halfway through the update it dawned on me that SSB should only have 8.1 on it. I did a quick Google search and can't find any other reports of people receiving 9.2.0-17U updates from SSB. As a matter of fact, I searched "3DS 9.2.0-17U" and can't find one occurrence where somebody states they have this firmware.

Is anyone else aware of SSB holding a 9.2 update now? I have a NES 3DS XL that came with 7.4, it's never been connected to the internet, and the copy of SSB was purchased at GameStop on February 11th.

EDIT: I uploaded the ROM and a user confirmed the 9.2 update is on this cart.

1423949901-smb3ds.jpg

EDIT: Image of game case.
FDzdzF9h.jpg

Dragaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's very odd... I just purchased a copy of Smash and a NN3DS XL today, and I didn't receive any messages about me updating firmware, considering i've played Smash for a few hours now. I haven't even enabled Wifi/connected to my AP; maybe you want to consider forgetting your network.

Reactions: Jaredmf1012

TehCheez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's very odd... I just purchased a copy of Smash and a NN3DS XL today, and I didn't receive any messages about me updating firmware, considering i've played Smash for a few hours now. I haven't even enabled Wifi/connected to my AP; maybe you want to consider forgetting your network.
I can't forget it if I've never connected to it :)

vingt-2

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

TehCheez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure how to dump the ROM. I can upload an image of the firmware version if you'd like to see that?

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Sadly I don't have the resources to do that. Would you still like to see an image of the firmware version?
Na, that's not necessary. I guess we'll just have to trust you :P

Honestly, the 17 on the end of the firmware version pretty much proves you updated via cart but ctr.exe/rom_tool tells a bunch of other stuff that's quite interesting.

TehCheez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not too surprising. They could very possibly be rolling out new game cartridges with even perhaps the game itself updated to latest version.
I'm curious to know what the newest version is and what version it normally ships with. Mine says 1.0.4 so I'm guessing the original version was 1.0.

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious to know what the newest version is and what version it normally ships with. Mine says 1.0.4 so I'm guessing the original version was 1.0.

Newest update for SSB is 1.0.5. The -17U looks like somehow you have the eshop from 7.x on 9.2. Which makes sense I guess if you used the cart to update from 7.x with no internet.

Would you be open to trading your SSB cart for a new one?

TehCheez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Newest update for SSB is 1.0.5. The -17U looks like somehow you have the eshop from 7.x on 9.2. Which makes sense I guess if you used the cart to update from 7.x with no internet.

Would you be open to trading your SSB cart for a new one?
I might be. Before I decide to trade I'd like to know what benefits could come from a game cart holding a 9.2 update.

Helper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the interest of Science(TM), please consider reporting details and/or providing photographs of the cart; such as the front/label side and the back side, and any identifying strings. I would expect every easily-visible detail to be identical, but you never know...
The PCB might have some visible difference, but I can't expect you to pry open your cart.

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might be. Before I decide to trade I'd like to know what benefits could come from a game cart holding a 9.2 update.

9.2 is the last fully exploitable firmware. It's the most recent version that works with gateway on sysnand. The rom could also be useful for updating emunand (gateway can update from rom, don't know about MT).

For the -U region I don't believe there were any N3DS released below 9.0, so it has no significance there. A JP SSB with 9.2 would be good for getting all these JP N3DS people bought off of 8.1, but that's unrelated.

My interest is in dumping the rom with firmware update, for emunand updating. I'm not actually interested in keeping the cart; but I assume you wouldn't be interested in lending it via mail to be dumped.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not sure how to dump the ROM. I can upload an image of the firmware version if you'd like to see that?
I'd certainly like to see a photo of the version number in settings, along with pics of the cart itself.

We've had enough trolls here of late, so I'm a little sceptical.

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, he has an old 3DS XL?

You can just use the gateway launcher to dump via browser exploit without having a gateway.

TehCheez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>Own an 3DS XL which comes with an SD
>Own SSB
>Doesn't have resources to dump

okay
Wait, he has an old 3DS XL?

You can just use the gateway launcher to dump via browser exploit without having a gateway.

Forgive me for not being aware of this. Can someone link me to this exploit and I'd be glad to try it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1