Super Retro Boy announced at CES 2017

large.jpg

This Super Retro Boy will be a all-in-one solution that plays GB, GBC & GBA games, also comes equipped with a TFT HD scratch and shatter-resistant screen, 2,500mAh battery which offers up to 10 hours of gameplay, four action buttons and a bundled 10-in-1 game cartridge. It's expected to ship in North America on August for $79.99.

Source

EDIT

Last edited by ElYubiYubi,

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks...cramped think I'll wait till they release a GBA fat version of this system.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nintendo just needs to re-release the gameboy micro but with a micro-usb/C charging port. It'll be as big as the miniNES

The micro & sp were horrible both are too cramped Nintendo should re release the GBA fat version.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo just needs to re-release the gameboy micro but with a micro-usb/C charging port. It'll be as big as the miniNES
THIS. I would love a Gameboy Micro sized device that I can put on my keychain (even if I need to buy an antiscratch shell.

Multiplayer connectivity would be a little more tricky. Maybe a couple type-C ports, or just go wireless?

That being said, I don't know about sticking to one style. To most of us the Gameboy, gameboy Color, and Gameboy Advance kinda blur together, and the Advanced especially has multiple designs. I don't think sticking to the original Gameboy design is a good idea, especially if games from all three platforms will be on the same system.

Honestly? I see Nintendo coming out with something in the style of the original Gameboy Advanced, hopefully with support for removable batteries if they can bring down the power requirements. I still would prefer something in the Gameboy Micro design though.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
so after 10 years everybody can replicate a GameCube or GameBoy?
Yes outside of the bios (which is copyrighted rather than patented), but it's perfectly legal to create an alternative to the official one (and most GB/C/A emulators do indeed this if you don't supply your own rom)

is 10 hours of battery life a selling point?
A DS Lite in GBA mode gets more than that with little more than 1/3 of the capacity, do your math...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes outside of the bios (which is copyrighted rather than patented), but it's perfectly legal to create an alternative to the official one (and most GB/C/A emulators do indeed this if you don't supply your own rom)

A DS Lite in GBA mode gets more than that with little more than 1/3 of the capacity, do your math...

mGBA, VBAGx, etc don't need BIOS files though.

Retinal_FAILURE

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if original carts is what theyre going there's the GB boy Colour for $30 (gb, gbc games) which has a great backlit screen NIB, and i got a mint Micro at a thrift store for $10 (gba) great backlit screen. still leaves $40 to buy some breakfast.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano
D

Deleted User

L and R placement is disgusting, actually ruins any chance of me buying one. They could have put them on the back, or yknow stop using the classic Gameboy design for the millionth time. Like really why aren't there any GBA or SP remakes.

D

Deleted User

Can we really expect this to be good? This is coming from the same company that brought us such chintzy guff as the "Retrobit Generations" which was infamous for stuttering on even the least demanding titles that it came with, and terrible pack-in clones of mobile games. The same company that manufactured the $14 NES clone that failed to play most games and had a flimsy cartridge slot that would fail to read games 80% of the time. I'll admit the RDP was nice, though I wouldn't be surprised if that was someone else's design.

Reactions: Ryccardo

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll stick with my SP for GB/C and DS for GBA.

That LR placement is some piss poor design, unless in the unlikely event those are secondary duplicates and there are real ones on the back.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
with L and R there they might have aswhell said only gb and gbc games, becuase manny gbagames need to hold L and a or B and such and its just impratical, and games that need L+R+A or B will be almost impossibe to click unless you drop the dpad hand, they blew it with a gbc design, if they had a gba design it wuld work for everything.

Also i use my SP and i can play all that perfectly, 80 bucks for that is crazy.

Skyhigh_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looks nice but why do people like buying these types of layouts?

it causes hand cramps to hold an object like that, not to mention the button positions. A gameboy advance layout which is horizontal is better ( IMO ) and smoother for playing games.

It would have been better to build a horizontal layout system

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM