1. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Not even sure profit is their primary concern, wrt the Olympics or this theme park. It's the sunk cost ... billions already spent constructing massive fixtures that now sit idle. Nintendo and Universal should be fine with the theme park, even though every day of age without revenue is a major loss. Eventually the park will open. But if the Olympics are never held there, that's a whole lotta infrastructure built that will never serve its intended purpose, not just for those who invested in the Olympic facilities but businesses that invested, upgraded, relocated and etc. in preparation. I understand 'profit' is a dirty word for some people, but 'waste' should be a dirty word for everyone. And this is turning into a very, very huge waste. It's a damned shame.

2. tomasowa

tomasowa GBAtemp Regular

United States
    On the subject of Olympic Parks, they've always been an Architectural White Elephant, so to speak.

After each Olympic Games, countries find themselves with a whole infrastructure that is either left idle with minimal profit nor public engagement or left as derelict monuments until such time demolishing them is feasible.

With that in mind, this may be the best time for Tokyo's Urban Planners to figure out what they could use the infrastructure for afterwards, and maybe apply some of that now; there is no law that says buildings have to be virgin and pristine for the Games, especially if the schedule is under threat of being pushed back even farther.

3. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Tokyo is huge, and at least the largest Olympic facilities will find use regardless of whether the actual Olympic games are held there. International track meets, soccer games, concerts, etc. But they will not be as attractive venues for not having actually hosted 'the games.' But the mega-structures are only part of the investment ... a lot of it is on the street merchant level, and local neighborhood level. Investment into hotels and shopping places to accommodate massive international crowds, the historic tsukiji fish market was moved, mass transit system adjustments ... all to accommodate nothing, potentially.

4. jesus96

jesus96 Pinkboi

Mexico
    well that was expected tbh

5. MadMakuFuuma

MadMakuFuuma Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    man, Miyamoto even insinuates at one point, that his own son is like "r*t*rd, because was bad at one of his games lol. yep, i am fan of some Nintendo franchises, like metroid, zelda, even mario... but i never had sympathy for the company actions.

about the postponed event, well:

6. AkiraKurusu

AkiraKurusu DS Pokémon Fan

Australia
    Likely because Iwata's gone, and the new guy's a lot more corporate than he ever was; I miss the guy. Nintendo's not the same; I doubt we'll ever see anyone like Iwata again.

eyeliner likes this.
  7. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 QVID PRO QVO
    Developer

Mexico
    Got C&D by Corona, Nintendo?
    Too fucking bad.

The more money these assholes lose, the better.
    I won't empathize for a company that threats their fans worse than shit.

AkiraKurusu likes this.
  8. AkiraKurusu

Australia
    Back in the day, I'd disagree, but...just not feeling it anymore. After everything I've heard - their previously-atrocious relationship with YouTubers, shutting down harmless fan games like AM2R and various Pokémon ones, how shitty their mobile "games" are, et cetera - I just cannot argue with this.
    2007 Nintendo's dead and gone. The days they actually experimented with Pokémon are over; the DS Lite is a fading memory. Even the 3DS is being forgotten. That's miserable; I'm feeling miserable now.
    What else is there, what else is left?

ShadowOne333 likes this.
  9. AngelsEcho

AngelsEcho Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Well, a pandemic IS happening...so...

10. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 QVID PRO QVO
    Developer

Mexico
    Ditto.
    I don't have even the most remote shine of respect to them since long ago, years ago.
    They are the worst example of a piece of shit company, and they deserve every bit of money they lose for their awful treatment of the ones that actually feed them.

AkiraKurusu likes this.
  11. banjo2

banjo2 gamer

United States
    Isn't this like
    Universal's park ?

12. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    guess you didn't get the memo
    * COVID vaccine is not an actual vaccine and does not actually prevent you from contracting COVID

you still need to wear the mask , and "social distance" because the vaccines do not actually prevent you from getting COVID
    you just get it "less bad" supposedly and are still contagious and still spread it

Last edited by weatMod, Jan 15, 2021
  13. AkiraKurusu

Australia
    Wait, it "does actually prevent" the contraction of COVID-19? It works, even though it's "not an actual vaccine", as you put it?

weatMod likes this.
  14. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    oops yeah fixed that ,
    no it does NOT actually prevent you from contracting COVID
    and you can still be contagious and you can still pass it on even with the mRNA concoction

what is even crazier is that my aunt had COVID and has been on a vent since Thanksgiving
    she just got off it on new years day and is now in a rehab and they have been trying to force the vaccine on her every day since the day she got there and she doesn't want it
    why would they try and force a vaccine on someone who just got over COVID , if you don't gain antibodies from actually having the virus then what is a vaccine going to do for you
    especially one that does not even prevent you from contracting the virus

Last edited by weatMod, Jan 15, 2021
    AkiraKurusu likes this.
  15. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Nyan-binary

United States
    Hasn’t Nintendo always been shitty?

Mama Looigi likes this.
  16. AkiraKurusu

Australia
    Didn't feel like they were, back in the DS era - more than a decade ago, which is honestly scary.

Mama Looigi and Jayro like this.
  17. UltraSUPRA

UltraSUPRA Masks don't work.

United States
    We have a vaccine.

18. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    Not everyone can get it yet.

19. UltraSUPRA

UltraSUPRA Masks don't work.

United States
    Not everyone has to.

20. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    I want it, but it's not available to me yet. I just have to wait. Meanwhile, my friend living in Hawaii just got her 2nd booster shot. :/

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - postponed, Nintendo, opening