1. 4,794

Front-page
    ninty world.PNG
    Super Nintendo World, the Mario-themed park at Universal Studios Japan, has been delayed yet again. It was first slated for an opening in summer 2020 and then postponed to February 4, 2021, and has once again been postponed. This is due to the "State of Emergency" in Osaka Prefecture issued on January 13 following rising COVID-19 cases, and is the region in which Super Nintendo World is located.

This state of emergency will continue till February 7th, after which a new opening date for Super Nintendo World will be announced.

:arrow: SOURCE

2. Discussion (45 replies)

3. ForeverEternal

ForeverEternal GBAtemp Regular

United States
    All those fan projects and youtube channels that they closed. Guess karma:s a bitch.

I still feel kinda sorry for Miyamoto.

4. Lazyt

Lazyt GBAtemp Regular

Czech Republic
    that was kind of "unexpected"

shanefromoz likes this.
  5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Malwarebytes Bootable Developer
    Developer

United States
    That's weird... It's almost as if there's a GLOBAL PANDEMIC going on or something... Who could have *possibly* predicted the park being delayed? Anyone!? :unsure:

:rofl2: :hateit:

6. tomasowa

tomasowa GBAtemp Regular

United States
    ... In other news, the COVID-19 vaccine is wet.

That said, I have a few Theme Park Managers on my contacts list and I don't envy any of their jobs right now.
    Although those in Vietnam seem to be doing just fine, their newly-built Theme Parks opening to crowds.

7. IceyyColdSnipez

IceyyColdSnipez GBAtemp's Certified Meta Runner™
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    :creep:

8. Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy HEY YOU GUYS!

United Kingdom
    I think we all knew this was inevitable but companies seem to think that if they keep to a schedule that was written down ages ago, maybe it will still happen!

Is there possibly a legal reason why they stuck to the original dates and then had to announce a delay?
    Yeah.....insert Thanos meme here....

MarkDarkness likes this.
  9. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Portugal
    They did it so they don't have spend money to get disinfectant everywhere and pay people wages to clean thing thoroughly.
    Also, alcohol based solutions would damage the kart's leather seats and character costumes.

Ten years ago, I'd believe that Nintendo would care for it's customers, fans and general supporters. Now, I believe in my first two sentences.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  10. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Same situation with the summer olympics. I see ads on TV now for the upcoming olympics games this summer! :rofl2: If they seriously believe they'll be able to hold the olympics 6 months from now...

RobXcore and MarkDarkness like this.
  11. MiiJack

MiiJack GBAtemp Fan

Madagascar
    Perhaps because of contracts. If not, they have to pay for extension of time.

Lostbhoy likes this.
  12. shamzie

shamzie Conform comrades

United Kingdom
    This sucks for everyone in Japan who was going to the opening. Me and my friends talked about possibly going to Japan for the grand opening, this year isn't going too be much different from the last I guess.

13. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    I don't see why not. Vaccinate all the players, broadcast it on TV but don't have a live audience.
    They could possibly even allow a live audience if they require proof of vaccination but at the rate they are currently vaccinating people, they are not going to have the majority done by summer.

14. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    Raise your hand if you saw this coming a mile away.

Last edited by raxadian, Jan 14, 2021
  15. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Nocturnal

Poland
    What a shock.

m_babble and felix.200 like this.
  16. shanefromoz

shanefromoz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    I can not believe they even annouced the opening date with Covid out of control in Japan

17. RobXcore

RobXcore Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Chile
    What's funny is that they don't wanna postpone the olympics in Tokyo. I guess that's more profitable than a goddamned amusement park.

18. CPG

CPG good morning.

Canada
    i could sense this from 7,912 kilometres away

19. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    It's a global pandemic what is your dumbass even talking about? "Man i'm sure glad hundreds of thousands of people could die to slightly inconvenience Nintendo"

They're obligated to protect their IPs, and they've literally never shut down any youtube channels. They had like 3 months where they had some stupid conditions for Nintendo videos but they gave up pretty quick. Boohoo? It's their stuff to do with as they please.

20. HarvHouHacker

HarvHouHacker Owner of Rock Band Customs (Wii/vWii/Dolphin)

United States
    This figures. I think they are teasing us. :P

21. zupi

zupi Member
    Newcomer

United States
    well... dont

the guy is a jerk and you have no idea how many millions he made from licensing mario to the park
    not to mention hes like one of, if not, the biggest reason they go after those fan projects
    and hes not shy to do it inhouse either, as hes famously banished characters he didnt create from appearing in mario games.

in that super nintendo world thing he was arrogant through the whole thing and then tried to forcefully coin the term 'father of mario' for himself, because keiji inafune is known as the father of megaman but hes just the generic 'the creator of mario' ( and the mother of bowser jr, but thats another story )

hes responsible for the failure of the wii u and he ( along with eiji aonuma ) is usually the biggest roadblock when any dev at nintendo has fun, innovative ideas
    if you dig just a little youll see the damage hes done

heck, just watch the guru larry video on him to have idea of what an egocentric jerk he is
    rare sold itself to microsoft just to get away from him

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - postponed, Nintendo, opening