Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WATb9.png

As Team Meat co-founder Edmund McMillen has stated, "we have been playing with the idea of porting SMB on the iphone for some time," but over the weekend he confirmed Super Meat Boy: The Game for iOS devices is now fully in the works.

Initially, it was the team's intent to simply port the game over to the platform, but they found the game didn't translate to the system's touch screen well enough.

"So, we decided to totally remake the whole game instead, from the ground up," McMillen said.

Just what's in store for the game in terms of controls? We'll have to wait and see, as McMillen says Team Meat have just begun work on the new game. Here are some things we can expect, though (from McMillen's blog):

What the game is:

- A feature length touch controlled platformer SPECIFICALLY designed for Touch devices.

What the game isn't:

- a shitty port of an existing game with non tactile buttons spread all over the screen blocking the players view and making for frustrating controls.

- the Super Meat Boy you're used to, there are aspects of Super Meat Boy in there, obviously, but this is a brand new game with new art, new sound, everything.

:arrow: Source: Official Team Meat Blog

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Despite what they've said, I find it almost impossible to design a real Super Meat Boy game that works using touch controls.

But hey, only time will tell.

However, I have a feeling this game will be a rip off. It could really use some more "meat" on its bones. BAWHAHAHAHA I'M SO FUNNY.

Reactions: 1 person

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope after they port it to iOS, they re-port it to Android (which wouldn't be as hard as the initial porting, seeing as they're re-making it for touchscreens)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't see why they wouldn't make an Android port. Plus with stuff like the Xperia Play (if that's what it's still called), you can get button controls as well as touchscreen ones.

I'd even assume a Windows Phone port seeing as they brought the original Super Meat Boy to XBLA. But it's Windows Phone so who am I kidding.

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
Yep, I'd like to see an android version too.
I'm still a bit dubious about how well it will work with touch controls, but it sounds like an intersting idea.

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet, a remake. I always wondered what SMB would look like if it was TOTALLY REMADE for handhelds.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't really imagine a good way to make this work on the iPhone or any Android phone.

Maybe on tablets, since your thumbs won't theoretically block your vision of the action.

But either way, I look forward to this(Assuming it's good).

But I hope when/if they make it for Android is isn't just a port. I hope it's recoded for Java and optimized well because I've seen so many games run terribly on my Galaxy Nexus(Though, I don't really play games on it that often) that run well on my iPod touch because it's better optimized for iOS.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
...yeah, but they cant do that for the wii, eh? "it wouldnt be the full super meat boy experience bwah bwah bhwa"

also, yeah, i dont exactly see this being much like the real super meat boy, jsut cause the controls on touchscreen are somewhat slow and not perfect. i guess, there will be autojumps or some other kind of help? or it probably just wont require much precision, like the original did

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Now I'm going to break my 600$ phone.
Thats just great.

Who the hell pays $600 for a phone? Or are our conversion rates just really different?
Some people have to buy it off-contract in their countries.
----

The issue about the Wii was that the file was too big for the Wii Shop Channel and Nintendo wouldn't make an exception for Team Meat. If they removed some stuff it wouldn't be the "full experience"

vpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to see this on android to, but i have a feeling like others have mentioned that the touch controls will destroy it and it won't feel like a super meat boy game.

D

Deleted_171835

Android port please.

I don't really care if this uses touch controls. I'll just hook up a controller to my tablet and play it like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM