Homebrew Super Mario World Clone

GEMISIS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I did a little bit of DS homebrew a while back, and haven't been very active since. Trying to become more active now, and part of that was me trying to start a Nintendo DS/DSi game engine. Currently, it's going very well, and I have been testing on my DS using a flash card, and on my DSi using the sudoku hack. I am curious if this will work on a CycloDS iEvolution in DSi mode. If someone could test that and let me know, that would be nice. DSi mode currently just brings up an extra menu that should pause the game and allow the user to select to go back to the DSi menu, or to go back to the loader.

Also, another reason I am releasing this demo is to see if anyone would be interested in me continuing this project. It currently features 4 enemy types (as well as room for expansion. Adding enemies is a rather easy task now
biggrin.gif
) and all power ups from super mario world should be in it and working. Not included with this is a level editor, that I may release as well that can be used for designing custom levels. I'll post the rest of the game's features below. My big question is whether this is something people would be interested in seeing completed.

List of current features for this Mario Demo:

-Supports all power ups
-Has 4 enemies with the ability to add more
-Level loading is very simple, and multiple levels can be added very easily.

List of current features for this game engine:

-Time system (game background changes based on the time of day)
-Simple background loading and manipulation
-Simple sprite loading and manipulation
-Achievement system (not shown)
-User data system (not shown)
-Custom text system
-A basic DSi mode system. This is currently being tested is very simple at the moment.
-Pixel perfect collision system

List of things I may add to the engine:
-More in depth achievement system and user data system
-More background and sprite control
-More text functions
-A behind the scenes .wav music player for DSi users

Please let me know what you think of this, as I'm really curious as to whether or not I should continue this
smile.gif

Download Link: http://gemisis.acupofbrew.com/Mario_DS.nds

List of known bugs:
-Collisions are pretty picky lol
-Star power pauses music, but does not play it. (Still searching for the star power music XD)
-No blocks (yet)
-Fire balls are absent

Controls:

Control Pad - Move
A - Fireball (when as fire Mario)
B - Jump (and fly a bit as caped Mario)
Y - Runs faster

-GEMISIS

Edit:

Here are some in game pictures:
mario%20ds%20clone%201.png

mario%20ds%20clone%202.png

mario%20ds%20clone%203.png

mario%20ds%20clone%204.png

mario%20ds%20clone%205.png

mario%20ds%20clone%206.png

mario%20ds%20clone%207.png

Updated Pictures showing blocks and fireballs from 5/19/11
mario%20ds%20clone%208.png

mario%20ds%20clone%209.png

mario%20ds%20clone%2010.png

mario%20ds%20clone%2011.png

mario%20ds%20clone%2012.png

Edit 5/18/11:
Fire balls now work with the fire flower power up
biggrin.gif

Edit 5/19/11:
Ok, so I've added blocks to the game now. That means all power up related things are completed for the most part now. Koopa's and Goombas can be hit by fireballs and die now too. Block collisions as a whole are still pretty buggy, but they work.

2nd Edit for 5/19/11:
Fireballs are now complete. There was a small collision bug with the last version. It has since been re uploaded.
smile.gif

OmegaVesko

Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds good to me, I'll download it and take a look.

EDIT: Dude, this is really good. Give it a proper menu system, fix the bugs and add more levels and you've got yourself a game.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'll give it a go too I guess.

Having the cape work puts you about 5 years ahead of anyone trying to make a SMW hack/port so far...

GEMISIS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^ well, I just updated the first post too. New demo has blocks as well as working fireballs
smile.gif
If you guys have any enemies you'd like to see in the game now, please let me know that as well so I can start adding them in as well. I know there's quite a few, and I'm going to start adding them in as soon as I can patch up the blocks collisions as well as a few other things. Also, I have a working level editor that I may release if people are interested in helping with the level creation process.

GEMISIS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
FT link: http://filetrip.net/f25142-Mario-DS-51911.html

GEMISIS, have you considered making this a homebrew bounty entry?
http://gbatemp.net/f180-homebrew-bounty-entries

Could win cash.

I'm actually considering making an entry that doesn't use all of these Mario related sprites and stuff. It would probably be very similar though, so I would probably want to change certain parts of the gameplay as well just so it added something new to it
smile.gif

Just wondering, are multiple entries allowed in that by the way? I was considering doing a small game, and then maybe a more featured one if I have time. And what do are homebrews have to do to qualify for the DSi section? Just wondering about that because anything made using the current version of the devkitPro tools since February is *technically* DSi homebrew. Just wondering if there is more to it
smile.gif

On a side note to anyone following this, the game has been updated to a new version where I feel the collisions are finally ok enough
biggrin.gif

GEMISIS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you
biggrin.gif

Also, another side note, I finally found the star power sound
biggrin.gif
New version has been uploaded ^^

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks very good
smile.gif
. But just do me a favor don't treat like those really really really impossible SNES Super Mario World hacks.

GEMISIS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
choconado said:
looks good. The collision detection needs work. Also, I'd like to see the spinning jump implemented...

Oh wow, I completely forgot about spin jump
ohmy.gif
Will add that in as soon as possible.

On a side note, I am finishing up a level editor for the game. I am hoping to have it released soon so that people can create levels to put in if they wish
smile.gif
Hopefully it will be done today or tomorrow. Also, I am going back and working on the sprites, as some of them are incomplete still for what animations are shown (such as Mario's cape power).

Finally, I will hopefully be adding file system support in the next version (which should also come with the level editor
smile.gif
)

Hopefully all of that will be done in the next 3-4 days ^^

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
GEMISIS said:
Just wondering, are multiple entries allowed in that by the way? I was considering doing a small game, and then maybe a more featured one if I have time. And what do are homebrews have to do to qualify for the DSi section? Just wondering about that because anything made using the current version of the devkitPro tools since February is *technically* DSi homebrew. Just wondering if there is more to it
smile.gif

you can have multiple entries but not multiple entries of the same homebrew. so a few dsi entries (1 game, 1 app), a wii entry, etc, is just fine. the dsi section was originally designed with the ievo in mind, the point is to push dsi-mode homebrew. just because it runs in dsi-mode doesn't mean it will be considered by the judges to be a "dsi" homebrew. we are more specifically looking for dsi-mode stuff that benefits from running in dsi-mode (such as using the increased cpu to demonstrate something that is impossible to do in ds-mode) and more specifically homebrew designed to run on the ievo.

-another world

GEMISIS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shiki_Tachoyn said:
I'll DL this once its more complete and has more content (It's a demo so i assume its not the full game with bosses yet)

Well, I'm not sure if I'm going to go through a recreate the game bit by bit. I'll probably add in a bunch of simple levels showing how they can be made, and then release tools (such as the level editor) to allow for people to create levels themselves. I don't want to spend too much time on level design, as I want to try and enter the homebrew bounty. Considering putting it on pause for now just to get an entry started.

As for the development on it so far, the level editor is nearly complete. It currently allows for fairly large levels (max level size is 2048x2048 pixels, but that will increase since that's just the limit due to what I've set it to
smile.gif
). Level design is currently using a tile system, that works, but is a bit slow right now. I probably won't be able to do too much about the speed of it unfortunately, but making levels isn't hard at all for the most part
smile.gif
I've also started looking more into what sprites are missing. Hoping to get a new version out sometime tomorrow with a few new additions. Tempted to add in at least one boss as well, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to that easily.

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
GEMISIS said:
Shiki_Tachoyn said:
I'll DL this once its more complete and has more content (It's a demo so i assume its not the full game with bosses yet)

Well, I'm not sure if I'm going to go through a recreate the game bit by bit. I'll probably add in a bunch of simple levels showing how they can be made, and then release tools (such as the level editor) to allow for people to create levels themselves. I don't want to spend too much time on level design, as I want to try and enter the homebrew bounty. Considering putting it on pause for now just to get an entry started.

As for the development on it so far, the level editor is nearly complete. It currently allows for fairly large levels (max level size is 2048x2048 pixels, but that will increase since that's just the limit due to what I've set it to
smile.gif
). Level design is currently using a tile system, that works, but is a bit slow right now. I probably won't be able to do too much about the speed of it unfortunately, but making levels isn't hard at all for the most part
smile.gif
I've also started looking more into what sprites are missing. Hoping to get a new version out sometime tomorrow with a few new additions. Tempted to add in at least one boss as well, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to that easily.
A couple suggestions for the level editing: Make it a block-based system for blocks/objects, but for sprites, pixels or half-blocks. That is how I'd handle it... Or, perhaps fully block based, but hold 'Shift' or something in the editor and allow free dragging?

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Egg

P.S. Epic job, dude! I haven't got to play it yet, but it looks awesome, as-is
smile.gif

Will the levels be forced into the homebrew or will it use DLDI to load levels? Or something else???

GEMISIS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm planning on doing it via the SD card so no forcing it into the game
smile.gif

As for the level editor, it currently is a block system, where you click a block to change it. A default level size is the same size as a DS screen. It's a 8x8 tile system so it's 32 blocks across and 24 down. The main problem is that it currently overlaps since some of the sprites are bigger than 8x8 (32x32 being the biggest so far). Not sure how I'm going to handle that, but I may leave it in at first. The biggest problem is how levels are designed as you have to either type in an offset or click on the mini-map view.

Going to finish testing it and stuff and then I'll release it on here for people to try out. First I want to make sure I get it so people can load levels into the demo.
biggrin.gif

Also, any enemy requests? Looking to add in 2 or 3 more if I can before I do the next release
smile.gif

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That is AWESOME! Dude, I never saw you before, but I love you already.
biggrin.gif

Enemy requests? Hell yeah, what about cameo enemies? Like Samus, Megaman or Link (if possible).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome