Super Mario Run Launches for iPhone & iPad on Dec. 15

screen696x696.jpeg

Select Game Content Available for Free; One-Time $9.99 Purchase Opens Full Game

KYOTO, Japan - The first-ever mobile game featuring the most iconic video game hero of all time goes on sale for iPhone and iPad on Dec. 15 in United States time zones. Super Mario Run can be downloaded from the App Store at no cost, and players can try elements of the game’s three modes for free. Once the game has been downloaded, a one-time payment of $9.99 (United States price) will grant unlimited access to each of the three modes in this release.

“The wait is almost over for a Super Mario game that can be played on mobile devices,” said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “Developed under the direction of Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto, Super Mario Run brings a new take on the series’ beloved action-platforming gameplay to iPhone and iPad for the first time.”

Super Mario Run is compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices running iOS 8.0 or later. Starting on Dec. 15, the game will launch in 151 countries and regions. Super Mario Runsupports English, Japanese, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Russian and traditional Chinese language options.

Super Mario Run is the first Super Mario Bros.game developed specifically for mobile devices. In the game, Mario runs forward on his own, but relies on the tap of a single finger to jump over obstacles, avoid enemies, pull off stylish moves, collect coins and reach the flagpole to complete courses.

D

Deleted User

No, I have iOS. I just feel sad that Nintendo is going down this road.
Going down this road
Only has put out 2 mobile games

Aw, come on. You know they still make games. This isn't a first for the likes of Sony or Square-Enix. They still have to make money. Nintendo is trying to reach other platforms and consumers. They want to reach as many people as they can.

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
IIRC there is still an animal crossing and a fire emblem game coming out for mobile so there is still hope.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
Going down this road
Only has put out 2 mobile games

Three mobile titles if you include Miitomo. Mobile development doesn't just happen overnight. It takes months, and would have been a significant change for Nintendo. I don't think for one minute that these three titles will be the end of Nintendo's mobile line-up. After all, they will want to see a return on the investment they have made in developing for mobile platforms.

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Did you even read the original announcement ? It is not free to play there isn't any IAPs. The game is a paid app but then you don't pay anything.
Being a technical person, this is definitely IAP. You download the game for free, then unlock the full version in-app (with a purchase). All content necessary for the full version is already on your phone before you pay.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Being a technical person, this is definitely IAP. You download the game for free, then unlock the full version in-app (with a purchase). All content necessary for the full version is already on your phone before you pay.
Same system, different applications.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it was from some unknown iOS developer I might agree that was an achievement. But we're talking about Nintendo here. Nintendo, with its decades of experience in developing video games and a reputation for innovative controls, and they bring us a one-touch endless runner. It's such a step down that I can't feel anything but disappointment.

So because Nintendo is Nintendo, they can never do an endless runner? Else they're somehow failing? I don't get it. Nintendo has added a mobile division, you make that sound as if it also means the death of their console and/or handheld divisions. Which i've seen no indication of, nor do I see the logic in. When we're talking about mobile phone games, I only want something that is simple anyway, seems like mobile is a great match for Nintendo's simpler games. Hell, Nintendo already has some console games that would actually be better fit as a simple smartphone title *cough* Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival *cough*

Sorry, I'm just not seeing how making more games and creating new jobs while not losing any of the resources that actually work on the fully fleshed out console and handheld games is somehow a bad thing.

Reactions: SomeGamer and Yil

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So because Nintendo is Nintendo, they can never do an endless runner? Else they're somehow failing? I don't get it. Nintendo has added a mobile division, you make that sound as if it also means the death of their console and/or handheld divisions. Which i've seen no indication of, nor do I see the logic in. When we're talking about mobile phone games, I only want something that is simple anyway, seems like mobile is a great match for Nintendo's simpler games. Hell, Nintendo already has some console games that would actually be better fit as a simple smartphone title *cough* Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival *cough*

Sorry, I'm just not seeing how making more games and creating new jobs while not losing any of the resources that actually work on the fully fleshed out console and handheld games is somehow a bad thing.
Cause they want Nintendo games on other platforms.
But I will say this, Nintendo's recent quality is somewhat bothersome.

Last edited by Yil,

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cause they want Nintendo games on other platforms.
But I will say this, Nintendo's recent quality is somewhat alarming.

No this person I'm talking with doesn't like Nintendo making mobile games at all. They just want Nintendo to only do their systems, not get on any other platforms. Which I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of why they think entering the mobile platform is a bad thing. Entering the mobile platform clearly is not going to lead to Nintendo becoming a third party developer for Microsoft and/or Sony, so if that's the fear, I think that's a completely irrational one that I'd quickly dismiss. If the concern is that Nintendo is now wasting time on mobile titles that could be spent elsewhere, my question to that thought would be, "Do you really believe that the development of Super Mario Run is responsible for the delay of Breath of the Wild?" Or "Do you believe that working on Super Mario Run has caused the forthcoming Mario Switch title to have run into some sort of development hell?" Of course not, they're clearly being handled by different groups of people without having any real effect on each other.

Reactions: SomeGamer

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No this person I'm talking with doesn't like Nintendo making mobile games at all. They just want Nintendo to only do their systems, not get on any other platforms. Which I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of why they think entering the mobile platform is a bad thing. Entering the mobile platform clearly is not going to lead to Nintendo becoming a third party developer for Microsoft and/or Sony, so if that's the fear, I think that's a completely irrational one that I'd quickly dismiss. If the concern is that Nintendo is now wasting time on mobile titles that could be spent elsewhere, my question to that thought would be, "Do you really believe that the development of Super Mario Run is responsible for the delay of Breath of the Wild?" Or "Do you believe that working on Super Mario Run has caused the forthcoming Mario Switch title to have run into some sort of development hell?" Of course not, they're clearly being handled by different groups of people without having any real effect on each other.
Not necessarily, but I am pretty sure developing a mobile title is much less time consuming than typical games. Hell, this just need a typical mario engine (if that's even a thing), modify the input to fit touch screen, and design some new levels. And of course Zelda team will not be involved at all.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not necessarily, but I am pretty sure developing a mobile title is much less time consuming than typical games. Hell, this just need a typical mario engine (if that's even a thing), modify the input to fit touch screen, and design some new levels. And of course Zelda team will not be involved at all.

Well we already know Nintendo has partnered with DeNA to make their mobile games. I really doubt anyone of major importance has left the development teams of the bigger core games to go work for DeNA to make these mobile games. Like I said, it seems like Nintendo is just creating more jobs, not reallocating jobs for people who already had other places in the company to mobile.

Reactions: SomeGamer

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No, I have iOS. I just feel sad that Nintendo is going down this road.

2 years ago I said on this forum:

"Nintendo will jump on the Smartphone/Tablet money making bandwagon, once they realize how much money there is to be made on that market."

730 days later, I am glad to see I am not as gullible as most people. Pokemon Go was a test drive to see just how much demand there was. Now it's clear people that won't buy 3DS's or Wii U's, STILL buy their favorite nostalgia filled games if they are available on their everyday device: Smartphones.

Brace yourselves, this is only the beginning. Nintendo would come down this road sooner or later. Nintendo is a business, above everything else.

Sony will be next. Remember this post.

henn64

I don't know what I'm doing with my life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
2 years ago I said on this forum:

"Nintendo will jump on the Smartphone/Tablet money making bandwagon, once they realize how much money there is to be made on that market."

730 days later, I am glad to see I am not as gullible as most people. Pokemon Go was a test drive to see just how much demand there was. Now it's clear people that won't buy 3DS's or Wii U's, STILL buy their favorite nostalgia filled games if they are available on their everyday device: Smartphones.

Brace yourselves, this is only the beginning. Nintendo would come down this road sooner or later. Nintendo is a business, above everything else.

Sony will be next. Remember this post.
What kind of a prediction is this? It's like saying, "The sun will rise tomorrow morning," or "Big companies will attempt to increase their profits."

D

Deleted User

Dunno about the game, but the announcement back at Apple event was atrocious.. "You can play it with one hand". That was basically the slogan which every trailer description repeated. Is that really a feature that sells games for todays audience

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool