Super Mario RPG: Legend of 7 Stars

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by HolySith, Jun 14, 2014.

1. HolySith
    OP

HolySith Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2014
    United States
    Hi all, brand new here but I've been reading up on ROMS and such. I'm so sorry if something similar has been posted before but I tried my best to do searches and what not for the compatibility of this game.

Anyway, I'm totally new using ROMs and Flashcarts in general--the 3DS Noob sticky has some good info for me to get started for sure!

I just purchased a 3DS XL and desperately want to play Super Mario RPG LotST from SNES on it; however, I've read in a few places that this particular game may cause issues as people have had trouble emulating the game due to some special chip on the original or whatever; however, from the link in the 3DS Noob sticky, the game isn't listed as one that's problematic.

I'm really sorry if this post annoys anyone if it's been asked before--I'm not very tech-savvy and I tried to do searches to see if anyone's mentioned this game before.

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated!

2. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    It lags on a lot of systems. Have you tryed it? What emulator are you using?

3. ScarletCrystals

ScarletCrystals Useless Bunny of Paradise

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    HolySith likes this.
  4. HolySith
    OP

HolySith Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2014
    United States
    Oh no, I haven't tried it yet--don't even have a flashcart or rom just yet. SMRPG:Lot7S is pretty much the only game I want to play outside of standard DS/3DS games so I'm trying to make sure that I purchase the correct flashcart.

If it does lag on a lot of systems, that's so sad :-(. I really love that game and would love to play a portable version of it that has tactile controls. Haven't looked into smartphone stuff yet but I'd prefer it on the 3DSXL.

5. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    You can practically guarantee that Super Mario RPG won't run worth a damn on most emulators out there. The special chip is not an easy one to emulate, and even among the PC emulators, Super Mario RPG isn't an easy one to get running perfectly. Even then, you mention a game compatibility list, and I suppose that deserves an explanation:

The Gateway flash cart and other 3DS flash carts only run 3DS games. They do not currently have the ability or homebrew necessary to run games from any other system. If you happen to have a Supercard DSTwo (which can run in DS mode on the 3DS), that does have a better SNES emulator than you can use with other DS mode flash carts, but it still won't run Super Mario RPG worth a damn.

HolySith likes this.
  6. HolySith
    OP

HolySith Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2014
    United States
    @Scarlet - thank you for the info and d/l link! Does the game just freeze up or whatever after the intro video?

7. HolySith
    OP

HolySith Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2014
    United States
    Nathan Drake - aww dang, that's too bad to hear! Looks like my only option will be to play it on the Wii Virtual Console. :-(

If only Nintendo could add it to the 3DS VC or just do some sort of reboot or sequel to that game. I absolutely loved the new characters introduced in that game.

8. ScarletCrystals

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    Yes, it freezes about 5 seconds in when it shows Bowser's(?) castle.
    It was on an older version though. I'll try the newest one and get back to you.

HolySith likes this.
  9. HolySith
    OP

HolySith Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2014
    United States
  10. Ericthegreat

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    It will run best on pc ;)

HolySith likes this.
  11. HolySith
    OP

HolySith Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2014
    United States

Hmm... well I DO have a Windows 8.1 (Non RT) tablet... would you have any suggestions for a physical controller similar to original Nintendo controllers?

12. Ericthegreat

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Sorry, but any bluetooth controller would prob work decently, just make sure it has enough buttons.

HolySith likes this.
  13. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    If you want one that's pretty similar, there is the FC30 available: link

It's available from pretty much any site that stocks Chinese gaming stuff. I believe we even have an official GBAtemp review of the FC30 somewhere:
    http://gbatemp.net/review/fc30-bluetooth-usb-gamepad-android-review.81/ (I found it after typing that last line :P)

If you can wait a little longer, they do have the upgraded NES30 coming at some point. Unfortunately, they don't seem to offer any sale links for this model, nor do any online shops seem to actually be carrying it yet (though they sent a sample to one of our reporters, so it does exist).

HolySith likes this.
  14. ScarletCrystals

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    No good. Supposedly fast forward with no sound and cpu set at 4 gets you past the intro. It did...after 15min.
    But now the screen froze with Mario standing outside the castle.
    So yeah, practically unplayable.

15. HolySith
    OP

HolySith Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2014
    United States

:-(, that's really too bad. I had high hopes. Thank you very much though for taking your time to do this!

16. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    i don't own a DStwo, but from this video from 2011, it looked nearly playable on the DStwo, i would imagine it might of been updated since then and might be compatable now, but i would wait to here from someone who owns a DStwo to test it

17. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    The battles in the cloud kindgom will wreck your system if you can even make it there. There is an enemy that can use blizzard that will probably crash the cart.

gamefan5 and EZ-Megaman like this.
  18. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    I don't want to nitpick, however there's actually a couple homebrew emulators that run natively in 3ds mode...they're basically at pre-alpha level status though.

19. Foxchild

Foxchild Goomba Overlord

Apr 13, 2013
    United States
    Just played Mario RPG for a bit on my dstwo (CATSFC) - it's slow and skippish, but if you're patient and want to play it badly enough, I'd call it playable. It seems to bog down the worst when you're talking to someone and certain areas (the area with Lakitu and the Spinys was worse than the area with Goombas and Paratroopas). I played as far as Mallow crying... the rain didn't seem to slow things down, so I'm not sure if the blizzard attack would affect anything or not. No problems getting past the intro.

20. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

I can think of at least two on PC that emulate the game perfectly, Snes9x and Bsnes :P The DS will never have the power, even with this emulator and the DSTWO.