Super Mario RPG director says he'd like to make a sequel for his last game

MarioRPG1.png

In a recent interview with MinnMax, Super Mario RPG director Chihiro Fujioka has said he would like to make a sequel as his final game. "In my career I've been involved with a lot of games, and I would really like my final one to be another Mario RPG game if possible," said Fujioka. "I think Mario & Luigi is cool, but I would like to go back and create a Mario RPG where you're only controlling Mario." When asked if he had story ideas, Fujioka responded, "It's a secret."

Fujioka worked with SquareSoft throughout much of the '90s, composing the soundtrack to Final Fantasy Legend III and writing Final Fantasy Mythic Quest, before going on to direct Super Mario RPG in 1996. After Square decided to focus on Sony's PlayStation, Nintendo took Mario's RPG games in a different direction, putting Paper Mario games on home consoles and Mario & Luigi on their handhelds. Fujioka left Square in 2000 and co-founded AlphaDream, developer of the Mario & Luigi series, to which Fujioka contributed field, menu & world design.

:arrow: Source

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never understood the love for Geno, but SMRPG is truly a great game.

What I'd like to see in a modern sequel or remake is basically the Link's Awakening treatment where it's the same game, same screens and perspective and everything, just with 3D models. The gameplay has aged remarkably well and really only needs a (minor) facelift.

Reactions: Xzi and SonyUSA

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Geno 4 Smash 2022
I never understood the love for Geno, but SMRPG is truly a great game.

What I'd like to see in a modern sequel or remake is basically the Link's Awakening treatment where it's the same game, same screens and perspective and everything, just with 3D models. The gameplay has aged remarkably well and really only needs a (minor) facelift.

I played this game when I was really little and Geno was so cool and mysterious and had a cool "gun" and powers... I use to run around with a screwdriver with the bit taken out of the end and a towel tied around my neck (for a cape) pretending I was Geno lol...

Reactions: Xzi and relauby

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Geno 4 Smash 2022

I played this game when I was really little and Geno was so cool and mysterious and had a cool "gun" and powers... I use to run around with a screwdriver with the bit taken out of the end and a towel tied around my neck (for a cape) pretending I was Geno lol...
He's a unique character for sure. It just surprised me that so many people liked him as much as they did since I kind of just took him as another character in the game.

I remember Geno for Smash being a big thing on gamefaqs like 15 years ago. It's nice to see people still holding onto their dreams, no matter how unlikely it is now.

Reactions: SonyUSA

kiaghi7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright everyone, time to take up a collection to send them a few truckloads of RedBull and Pixiestix...
This needs to be a thing!

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean really though, who wouldn't want to make a sequel to one of the finest RPG's of Nintendo's history? They should give him full rights; be like,"here ya go" and let dude man assemble a team of his liking, and go to town. Then Nintendo can step in at the end, make sure that it meets the Nintendo standard, then release the damn thing. Easy Peasy.

Reactions: Xzi

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean really though, who wouldn't want to make a sequel to one of the finest RPG's of Nintendo's history? They should give him full rights; be like,"here ya go" and let dude man assemble a team of his liking, and go to town. Then Nintendo can step in at the end, make sure that it meets the Nintendo standard, then release the damn thing. Easy Peasy.
In nintendo of japan, Miyamoto's ego is law.

Dude would shit a literal brick if some outsider managed to make a game people wanted better than he could with his own properties involved. It's his tantrums that screwed over Rare to the point where they wanted to be sold off to Microsoft, just as a fine example of his handiwork.

Reactions: Bladexdsl and Xzi

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see that SM RPG changed to Paper Mario, it's spiritual successor, though both share similar gameplay it's not completely the same abd different just enough.. I personally love to see a new SM RPG, it's mostly likely be a game with 3D models, no problem for me though, as long as they nail other aspects of the game, adventure, combat etc.

Reactions: Xzi

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Unfortunately due to the game rights being shared by two different companies Paper Mario 64 is as close as we will ever get to a sequel.

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Damn, he's 62. Why can't people live forever. By the time we cure ageing and death all the greats of the video game world will be gone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night