Super Mario RPG director says he'd like to make a sequel for his last game

MarioRPG1.png

In a recent interview with MinnMax, Super Mario RPG director Chihiro Fujioka has said he would like to make a sequel as his final game. "In my career I've been involved with a lot of games, and I would really like my final one to be another Mario RPG game if possible," said Fujioka. "I think Mario & Luigi is cool, but I would like to go back and create a Mario RPG where you're only controlling Mario." When asked if he had story ideas, Fujioka responded, "It's a secret."

Fujioka worked with SquareSoft throughout much of the '90s, composing the soundtrack to Final Fantasy Legend III and writing Final Fantasy Mythic Quest, before going on to direct Super Mario RPG in 1996. After Square decided to focus on Sony's PlayStation, Nintendo took Mario's RPG games in a different direction, putting Paper Mario games on home consoles and Mario & Luigi on their handhelds. Fujioka left Square in 2000 and co-founded AlphaDream, developer of the Mario & Luigi series, to which Fujioka contributed field, menu & world design.

:arrow: Source

julianuf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would be awesome. (And maybe Geno would finally make it into Smash... or something.)

Probably unlikely though. :(

Reactions: Xzi

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought Paper Mario 64 was the sequel to Mario RPG, at least in Japan?
It used the name but it was entirely different in terms of design and focus.

Its sort of how Super Mario World is considered Super Mario Bros 4 in Japan as well despite it being radically different than previous entries.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought Paper Mario 64 was the sequel to Mario RPG, at least in Japan?
They tried to call Paper Mario the Spiritual Successor to RPG...
but thats like calling Kingdom Hearts the Spiritual Successor to Final Fantasy ... NOPe!

BraveDragonWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sprite mode with beautiful art styles or full 3D with gorgeous lighting and rendering?
I never played the game but, I think it should be sprite styled?

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have been dreaming of a proper sequel for years! I would love it if they could get most of the original developers back for this so it felt like a real sequel, but I doubt that would happen. Paper Mario were amazing games, but there's some kind of unrefined charm about Super Mario RPG that hasn't been seen since

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
what i really want is a paper mario sequel that has roots on the first 2 (paper Mario) games. i understand the nostalgic feelins about mario RPG, but i never feel attached to this game. now the first 2 paper marios, and the first mario & luigi...

GinOkami428

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm HOPING this becomes a thing, SMRPG has been one of my "sacred" video games in my collection for decades! Its still sitting in a container along side my golden Zelda 1 cartridge, and John Elway's Quarterback Club (I was a HUGE Bronco's fan in the early 90's, my childhood! I lived in Colorado at the time).

Attachments

• coinsLuigi.png
    coinsLuigi.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 63

GinOkami428

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still have to beat this game and the first Paper Mario, and finish Thousand Year Door.
I've beaten SMRPG MULTIPLE times (speaking of, spoiler alert, but a neat thing not a lot of people know about, but if you equip the "Jump Shoes" and ONLY use the "Jump" special move, it increases the attack power slowly!"). I still have yet to beat most of the Paper Mario saga, and Mario and Luigi games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1