Super Mario Maker 2 lets you make your own worlds in the new World Maker Update

There's a major update coming to Super Mario Maker 2; the final update, to be exact. New in this soon-to-be-released patch is a World Maker, among other things. Shown off in a newly uploaded trailer is the Super Mario 2 Mushroom, which allows you to stand on and pick up enemies, just like you could in Super Mario Bros. 2 in the west. The Frog Suit is also a new-old powerup, allowing you to run on top of water and swim quickly, while the Power Balloon lets Mario float like a balloon through levels. Numerous other "wearable" powerups also bring in old abilities from previous Mario titles too. Bowser's Koopalings are also back as well.

The biggest feature of this update, however, is the World Maker. It'll allow you to create your own Mario Worlds, where you can connect multiple custom courses in their own little 2D overworld. You can combine 8 worlds and 40 courses together in this mode. The World Maker Update goes live soon, on April 22nd.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Holy shit. I've been waiting for the ability to make worlds, but I never thought they would actually add it. It was the only thing missing to make full Mario games in Mario Maker. New Super Mario Bros is truly dead now. :P
The balloon in SMW was never really utilized to its fullest potential, it was barely utilized at all actually, but I'm sure people will be making some interesting puzzles and obstacle courses utilizing it, considering how skilled some of the people making stages are. And it appears to work a bit differently in Mario Maker, which might make it more useful.
The other additions are just perfect for creating more complicated puzzles and obstacle courses than ever before. They could be combined in all sorts of ways I can't even begin to imagine.

Nintendo totally stole the idea for that bullet bill powerup from this game:

I would still like to see Super Mario All Stars course themes for SMB1 and SMB3. I grew up with SNES and NES was a bit before my time so I mostly played SMB1 and 3 in All Stars and have more nostalgia for those versions, plus they look and sound better. Too bad they said this is the last major update. Wonder if they're ever going to add that in a future entry.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Does anyone have the COURAGE to make an 8 World 40 Level GBAtemp themed game?

Would be pretty awesome. I have no idea what it would look like though.

Reactions: osaka35

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit. I've been waiting for the ability to make worlds, but I never thought they would actually add it. It was the only thing missing to make full Mario games in Mario Maker. New Super Mario Bros is truly dead now. :P
The balloon in SMW was never really utilized to its fullest potential, it was barely utilized at all actually, but I'm sure people will be making some interesting puzzles and obstacle courses utilizing it, considering how skilled some of the people making stages are. And it appears to work a bit differently in Mario Maker, which might make it more useful.
The other additions are just perfect for creating more complicated puzzles and obstacle courses than ever before. They could be combined in all sorts of ways I can't even begin to imagine.

The one thing they're missing that I'm sad about, that still leaves some reason-to-exist for NSMBW hacking, is events and locations. Sure, there's a ton of options for puzzles, but the simple and straight forward event flags of NSMBW, mixed with painted locations, would have been icing on the cake.

I'm actually genuinely sad that I don't have the technical skill to set up my EmuNAND Switch for legitimate OS SysNAND. (Or, y'know, a 2nd Switch for this game lol). Online play seems like it will be absolutely amazing here in a month or so...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The one thing they're missing that I'm sad about, that still leaves some reason-to-exist for NSMBW hacking, is events and locations. Sure, there's a ton of options for puzzles, but the simple and straight forward event flags of NSMBW, mixed with painted locations, would have been icing on the cake.

I'm actually genuinely sad that I don't have the technical skill to set up my EmuNAND Switch for legitimate OS SysNAND. (Or, y'know, a 2nd Switch for this game lol). Online play seems like it will be absolutely amazing here in a month or so...
There is no setup required, if you kept your sysNAND clean as you should, just boot into it and go online and play. Assuming you have NSO of course :P

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if I did, because I'm no expert in these things. Not that I'd care if I was wrong and SysNAND DID get banned. But. I still don't own or know anyone local with SMM2. :P Maybe I'll try it out some time in the future, heh.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lunar Magic did it first. I want Mario Maker 3D ediiton with assests from Sunshine, Galaxies, 3D Land/World and Odyssey.
and Mario Maker did it better. also, making 3d levels is way harder than 2d ones, and i doubt nintendo would be able to make an editor that makes making 3d levels easy

wiindsurf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Oh my god this is beautiful... Finally we can have some inter level consistency and not just random madness... I'm gonna go out and buy another copy just because!

Last edited by wiindsurf,
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Fuckin' badass. This just expanded the life of the game by like 10 years easy.
Think by 10 years the switch will be ded and ninty will have switched (lol) to their new console or something.

and Mario Maker did it better./QUOTE]
They made it easier you mean. There's many things you can do in romhacks that you can't do in maker.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
so many features it looks like a sequel announcement XD.......but to be fair the MM1 to MM2 changes just felt like an update, I guess this just puts the icing on the cake, the worlds feature looks like it will be great for getting a string of consistently good levels rather than delving into a hodge podge at times

if only these kinds of updates were the industry standard, instead of every little feature being added in a sequel or as paid DLC as it is with pretty much every other developer

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality