.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
no, an exploit is the act of exploiting something, how many times do I have to repeat myself?

powersliding = gameplay mechanic

snaking = exploiting powersliding

edit-
ya know what, I give up, I'm going to bed
Forge your victory, I don't really care, I gave up playing MKDS a long time ago, and all you guys are doing are trying to get snaking through on some technicality.
whatever, looking forward to a snake free mario kart wii.

Hyperlisk_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.TakaM said:
no, an exploit is the act of exploiting something, how many times do I have to repeat myself?
You will have to repeat yourself infinitely many times because that's exactly how redundant your statement is. You can not define something using itself as the definition.

EDIT: Need more people that are hackers here...

Artheido

Trophies
Website
artheido.wordpress.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
In the realm of online games, an exploit is usually a software bug, hack or bot that contributes to the user's prosperity in a manner not intended by the developers.

Let's just drop it. The snaking matter has been discussed for years.

It's obvious it wasn't was the developers intended since they removed it on MKWii so therefore it is in the same league as glitching (since glitches are also what the developers did not intend and as Hyperlisk_ said: 'a design flaw'). Glitching and hacking is considered in the same league to a high number of people so...

Anyway, I don't really care; just wanted to point it out. =P

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
And more casual crap. Won't buy this one. I can't believe it. Nintendo is only after the money since they saw that Wii and the DS are bringing them a lot of money. Good thing is my 360 , which has a lot of good games for hardcore gamers which want games where you can own. Not this crap where every noob has the same chance to win even though he hasn't got any skill.

Snaking was hard and it was there for a reason. Even though I couldn't snake.

Artheido

Trophies
Website
artheido.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Dominik93 said:
And more casual crap. Won't buy this one. I can't believe it. Nintendo is only after the money since they saw that Wii and the DS are bringing them a lot of money. Good thing is my 360 , which has a lot of good games for hardcore gamers which want games where you can own. Not this crap where every noob has the same chance to win even though he hasn't got any skill.

Snaking was hard and it was there for a reason. Even though I couldn't snake.

True. Multi-turbo boosts on turns have also been removed with this new system meaning it's even less competitive. =/

Now people will just keep sandbagging and item-owning -.- That's what is currently putting me off. However, I'll still buy it just to keep up my Mario Kart collection =] Lets hope there's another gameplay 'exploit' that makes it competitive.

katsuce

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
snaking is not an exploit, it's a flaw in the game design. in a 2D fighter street fighter zero 3, you can normally go up to 10 hits combos, but there are some ways to make combos that are waaaaay larger

snaking is the same: it's all about knowing the game enough to use powersliding whenever you want. I still didn't like using it on a whole race (hurt my thumb) but sometimes had to.

but it's not a surprise that snaking has been removed from the game, nintendo has been downgrading their games' difficulty, so I'm not impressed. A 4 y-o baby could have beaten mario galaxy, metroid 3 or zelda twishit princess
ph34r.gif

bluestuff

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
woot so glad they removed snaking

it was a design flaw in the game that got exploited with all the players that wanted to win. I could snake yes but turned that every game of Mario kart (ds especially) into a chore. The perfect powerboast(which actually does take skill) can still be performed around tight cornors as mentioned in the previews but the endless speed boast is gone and i say good riddance.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MillionsKnives said:
I agree that people will probably just find something else to bitch about.

What I don't understand is how they could take something out of the game that has been every Mario Kart game, excluding the original for SNES.

The power slide boost in the N64 version compared to the DS version is similar in the way that you attain the boost by flicking the control stick back and forth, but the game controls differently which I think makes it harder to pull it off as fast and easily. I don't know anyone that can "snake" in the N64 version, mainly because it controls differently I think.

Couldn't they have somehow made the game control similarly to the N64 version? That way, you could still flick the control stick back and forth to build your boost, instead of this stupid "how long can I hold the power slide!" method. Trying to make it more n00b friendly I guess and appeal to the demographic of people that have a Wii, but are not really gamers.

Agreed. The people who can't do it complain about it and the people who can defend it, I'm not going to argue but I'd have liked power-sliding if I was to play it.

bosscolor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I was a pro snaker in on the ds version of the game and from now I can admit that it was really unfair and shitty to snake.
You could even dodge blue shell while doing a lilltle technique.

Nice for Mariokart wii !! No more cheat

osirisFIVE

Trophies
Website
www.imperfectgrandeur.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Why're people so pissed with this?

The only thing I'm pissed off are the cheats being used online.

I'm okay with Snaking because personally I've noticed that not everybody can do it well, including me.
IMO, just means that it's a skill I've gotta learn to be able to play Mario Kart DS properly.

MADKATZ99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
.TakaM said:
I was happy with leaving you guys to make your faux points and talk about how awesome snaking is amongst yourselves, but you just keep going..

What's wrong?
It's an exploit nintendo doesn't want, and it's an exploit the targeted audience doesn't want.
And seriously, stop equating snaking to skills, it takes barely any skill, and is nothing compared to combos in street fighter.

I know it's just the excuse snaking douches like to use, but how about I use the excuse from the opposite side?
snakers have no class, it's just a low blow in a gentlemens game.

Now, I know that's not the real issue, just like "people hate snaking just because they can't do it" isn't the issue, quit taking the easy way out and propose a decent argument. (too late for you kree)
Are you besties with nintendo?? How the hell do you know what they want? They are only interested in making money, so a game that appeals to the mass audience is what they're going for. Unfortunatly too many babies cried when they put a little depth into the game, now they have to tone it down so that a 4 year old could beat the game.
Im a street fighter nazi, I can tell you now it takes alot more concentration, speed, knowlege to come up with the end result of a nice 3lap.
I dont even know why im arguing this.. A retard knows it takes more skill to be better at a game than somone else.

Take a look at TB1's video, this is MKDS at its peak..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVJqc4Q7V-Q
He's put thousands of hours into this game to get that good, if you say that doesnt take skill I hope somone sets fire to your house.

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
katsuce said:
but it's not a surprise that snaking has been removed from the game, nintendo has been downgrading their games' difficulty, so I'm not impressed. A 4 y-o baby could have beaten mario galaxy, metroid 3 or zelda twishit princess
ph34r.gif
A 4 years old can press alternatively L and R like a retard too, so the argument snaking removed to make game more easy is stupid

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shuny said:
katsuce said:
ph34r.gif
A 4 years old can press alternatively L and R like a retard too, so the argument snaking removed to make game more easy is stupid
i don't see why nintendo doesn't add difficulty settings for their games, it would make for excellent replay value.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KATZ takam knows because he read the same damn thing I did when MKDS was discovered to do that. Most the DS onliners started bitching like crazy about it to Nintendo in many regions. Eventually Miyamoto himself addressed it calling it an unforseeable exploit they accidentally overlooked in the game and said that it was not in the spirit of the game and that it bothered him.

I remember talking this up a year ago on a game board elsewhere and back then I was able to find the quote online and linked it up. If someone wants to bother go ahead as I dunno if I want to search that out again, but if I do I'll link it. All I could find is a modern reference at this game site: http://www.kombo.com/article.php?artid=10888

If NOA/NCL claims it's a glitch they overlooked, then it is NOT intended to happen, but if people do (and did) discover it then they have nothing they can do but feel bad about it because you can't upgrade patch a DS card like a PC game. Nintendo was adamant after seeing how many stopped using the wifi game end of it and with even more of the complaining to not have it happen again.

As such the Wii game to come was not pussied out as some snake users here want to make up to feel better about themselves, they just retooled the drifting and miniboost mechanics so there is a time gap there so it can't be done in straightaways anymore. I applaud them for following through on their dismay and desire to fix the issue. The issue was a main reason I quit playing MKDS online but the larger of them were the wankers teleporting and other crap using hacks and cheats that finished it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over