Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hyperlisk_ said:
jalaneme said:
wikipedia can be edited by any individual therefore your sources are void.
That's a common misconception. Haven't you ever noticed how on Wikipedia they have to CITE REFERENCES? Obviously you (Along with MANY other people) just believe what you are told. Not to mention that they have moderators to make sure that only valid content is posted on Wikipedia's pages.
*claps* Thanks Hyperlist, that sums up how I feel for the most part. A certain someone needs to stop associating snakers and snaking to cheating, and maybe they should stop "throwing their rattle out of their pram" so to speak.

Here is a link to the archived article by NOA_Andy from Nintendo.com that was cited on Wikipedia.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070528063230/...RY2Qum&page

I'm not so tired of hearing people complain about the concept of snaking as I am tired of people saying it is cheating. It is a technique, as other people have stated. Simple thing about it is that it is not that hard! How hard is it to hit left-right-left-right real fast? The thing that really pisses me off is that I would not for the most part take complete advantage of the technique, but I would easily pull off a couple of boosts in a turn or coming out of a turn. Now its just going to be as easy as sliding through the turn and doing absolutely nothing to earn that boost (and in turn most likely not allowing me to get the most boost potential I could with the power slide boost method in N64, GC and DS versions.)

But seriously, to me it is like people complaining about the AWP in Counter-Strike or even the Farsight XR-20 in Perfect Dark.
dry.gif

Kreeeee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Scorpin200 said:
This is probably the smartest thing nintendo has done so far, because that annoying bug that was in the ds would have ruined any actual game play for this game for sure. Lol the bad thing is that i won't have much as a challenge to look forward to online, but i could be wrong as battle more has online.....ahhh the endless possibilities.
grog.gif
grog.gif
LOL!

That "bug" has been an intended feature in all mario karts bar the SNES one. A few of the staff ghosts use the "bug" in the DS version.

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It seems to me that some people here are calling every kind of powersliding, even in turns, "snaking". Which is not true. "Snaking" is using powerslides on a straight.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
While it's definitely a good thing that snaking has been removed, snaking is not a cheat/exploit/glitch whatsoever...
If it was, there's no way on earth it could have slipped by the devs after it was already possible and heavily used in Double Dash...
In fact, they must have known since they were using it themselves when they were creating the Staff Ghost Data for the Time Trial mode...the game actually requires and encourages you to snake in order to beat the Time Trial records
lecture.gif

Only a fool would ignore this...

Making use of a technique that's 'approved' by the devs isn't even unfair, either, no matter how annoying it is...who stops you from using the technique yourself?
It's like saying it's cheating if someone executes some wicked move in Street Fighter because you don't know the button combination or just can't get it right...

How about calling snaking what it really is, instead? A design flaw. It might be shocking for some of you, but yes, even Nintendo games can have them. Actually, Mario Kart DS is full of them, that's why I still prefer Double Dash, and that's also why several changes of Mario Kart DS have been reverted in Mario Kart Wii (like different probabilities to get good items for each character, which was Nintendo's way of admitting that the characters are unbalanced)...
The only one to blame is Nintendo...and thankfully they've now realized that snaking sucks.
Too bad they still need to realize that releasing even tiny patches for their online games would prevent fuck-ups like these from ruining our online experiences
frown.gif

pyrofreak421 said:
As far as no one whining about snaking in double dash goes how many people do you know that actually play double dash??
Plenty.
Most Mario Kart enthusiasts I know agree that Double Dash is better than MKDS...
But the main reason no one complained about snaking in Double Dash is because no one knew about snaking in Double Dash...
I never thought it was possible until years after the release, when I first saw someone doing it...
Thanks to online gaming, snaking became well-known and commonly used in a matter of weeks in Mario Kart DS though, and you have to race against people who are able to pull it off more regularly, up to the point where pretty much everyone is using it...It's also incredibly easy to do in MKDS
nyanya.gif

serious_sean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Snaking gives the player something to do on the straightaways! It's called risk and reward, people.

Do I try to snake and run the chance of hitting the wall because i suck? Or do i drive straight to play it safe?

Snaking is the fairest thing about Mario Kart! If you hate unfairness, complain about the rubber-band AI and the weapons that favor players in last place.

coops024

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OMG !

This old chessnut again ?

Well heres my 2 pence (again)

I spent months having my a$$ handed to me on a plate playing MKDS online !

Did I cry ? did I post on forums asking why Nintendo have let these 'Cheaters' play online ? did I refuse to play anymore ?

NO

I grew some nads and learned how to snake ! If some of you guys spent as much time practicing as you did b1tching you could do it too !

So they have taken Snaking out of Mario Kart Wii ... Good ! If I go online and get beaten then fair play ! I will just keep getting better and better till I whoop you some other way !

Snakers rule !
lecture.gif

King Zargo

I'm a Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Nepal
jalaneme said:
*yawn*

Dumb, meaningless post just to increase your post count.

QUOTE(Vater Unser @ Mar 18 2008, 06:51 AM) While it's definitely a good thing that snaking has been removed, snaking is not a cheat/exploit/glitch whatsoever...
If it was, there's no way on earth it could have slipped by the devs after it was already possible and heavily used in Double Dash...
In fact, they must have known since they were using it themselves when they were creating the Staff Ghost Data for the Time Trial mode...the game actually requires and encourages you to snake in order to beat the Time Trial records
lecture.gif

Only a fool would ignore this...

Yes, Its true. The staff ghost snakes pretty good in "Yoshi Falls".

Mienaikage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
shinsil said:
jalaneme said:

Dumb, meaningless post just to increase your post count.

Just ignore her, she lost in her argument but just doesn't want to admit it. It's a legitimate tactic, and it's possible for all players to perform. If it was something like an Action Replay cheat, which not everybody has access to, the I would agree that it is cheating, but that is not the case.

Just get over it anti-snakers, if you hate snakers beating you all the time, learn how to snake yourself, it's not hard, or better yet add friend codes of other people who don't snake and leave us alone.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't snake personally, but my brother is very good at it (he actually show it to me for the first time and I know how to pull it off by now, I just don't like it because it sort of detracts me from the experience).
But from here to call it "cheating" it's a big leap.
To me it's far more annoying when people disconnect before the end of the race if they are loosing.
That's one of the major issue I have with the online experience.
Snaking it's a legit technique that anyone with a little practice can pull off, although it can be seen as a design flow because it can be performed on a straight line as well.
I'm glad MKWii doesn't have it, but I'm sure there will be plenty of other techniques and lots of depth to the game.
I'm really excited about this !

woody0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
to be honest, IMO people who complain about snakers really are people who cant do this themselves and "throw their rattle out of the pram". Sure i snake, but not as good as my friend Duran who is a 3 star whilst i remain a 2, so i try other tactics such as weapons which do work and i manage to keep up with him. I usually lose still but i can keep up most of the time.

Now then, onto the most part. Just because Nintendo has removed snaking, doesnt mean it will make it more casual, it just means that people who pay dont as much time to play lose as much. Plus it also means that the weapons will be used more an the game might become funnier.

And Jalaneme will you please stop calling it cheating, it is skill so shut the hell up complaining and accept that your wrong ok?
smile.gif

EDIT: typos sorry

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
jpxdude said:
In all fairness, snaking was more of a tactical advantage to those that could pull it off...

I think it was a good decision to remove this though, in favour of something newer and more balanced, and in a way forces people to go through a newer experience, and master fresh techniques.

The problem with snaking for me is that while it was great when you could do it, it was quite difficult to do, and when it came to online play on the DS, it quickly made the game more of a chore in order to achieve a win, rather that to enjoy a good unpredictable, memorable and skilled race against n00b and pro alike.

I loved snaking to zoom quickly through the single player stuff and challenges to unlock everything, but ultimately what it boiled down to was detracting from what should have been a fun experience by excessive pad-waggling to create a little boost which quickly made MKDS boring for me.

Nintendo removing the snaking feature will make the game a lot more fun IMO.

And you know what, I hope you're right. I still believe it would have technically been easier to create one "exploits allowed" and a "regular play" online modes.
Good mario kart players will still be good, it's not because of snaking... It's because it's a drug!
laugh.gif

MADKATZ99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
im not even going to join the stupid argument. Its been going on for too long now, its never going to end.

All I can say is mario kart is built on mini turbos, you take them out and the game starts to become like every other game that lasted a week then everyone got sick of ie. diddy kong racing.

luckily, mini turbos are still in, they just arnt as abundant. However where there are boosts, there are allways going to be smart people that want to utilize the boosts to their full potential and get the most out of the game. racing games are all about getting the best times, you'd be a fool not to consider that unless your some freak with 'morals' about going left and right in a video game when you should be going faster in a straight line.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
snaking is for douches, plain and simple.

And to put the stupid argument to rest, it's an exploit.
Call it a cheat, or call it a skill, fact is you're wrong.
It's a part of the standard gameplay that has been exploited and abused, and only cocky douches think it makes the game challenging...
It's like playing tic tac toe with 16 squares to "make it challenging" dur hur hur

it's mario kart, quit trying to rationalize the fact you are pissing off everyone else and go find your 'challenge' in another game.

and for the record, I can snake, but it's stupid, it makes every race exactly the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...