Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
shinsil said:
jalaneme said:
oh dear the snakers have arrived, they are starting to give reasons why their precious cheating tactics are in fact a "skill" and to make themselves feel better they call everyone noobs. really throwing your rattle out of the pram will get you nowhere, nintendo see it as cheating that is why it was removed and i agree 100% with them.

Snaking is not a cheat.
Snaking is not a glitch or a bug.

Its a technique and every one can use it. Most of the "non-snakers" act like its something evil or bad. In other words they are saying "I hate it when I lose.", "I can't snake, so nobody may use it.", "Please lower your skill level to match mine." or "I am to good to learn something new.".

Learning new technique's and trying to get better is what gaming is all about. Its what makes things challenging. "Non-snakers" are just trying to keep the level of the game low so that they can win some rounds, instead of trying to make something of them self and win by skill.

The same people that snake at "Mario Kart DS" are probably better at general gaming than the lamo's who call them self "non-snakers". Simply because they try all of the technique's and pick the best one that takes the most advantage of game.

You should just buy "Diddy Kong Racing DS" and quit bitching.

That doesn't make it not annoying.

King Zargo

I'm a Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Nepal
Heran Bago said:
shinsil said:
jalaneme said:
oh dear the snakers have arrived, they are starting to give reasons why their precious cheating tactics are in fact a "skill" and to make themselves feel better they call everyone noobs. really throwing your rattle out of the pram will get you nowhere, nintendo see it as cheating that is why it was removed and i agree 100% with them.

Snaking is not a cheat.

Its a technique and every one can use it. Most of the "non-snakers" act like its something evil or bad. In other words they are saying "I hate it when I lose.", "I can't snake, so nobody may use it.", "Please lower your skill level to match mine." or "I am to good to learn something new.".

Learning new technique's and trying to get better is what gaming is all about. Its what makes things challenging. "Non-snakers" are just trying to keep the level of the game low so that they can win some rounds, instead of trying to make something of them self and win by skill.

The same people that snake at "Mario Kart DS" are probably better at general gaming than the lamo's who call them self "non-snakers". Simply because they try all of the technique's and pick the best one that takes the most advantage of game.

Its not annoying. Mario Kart Double Dash also has snaking and I hear nobody complain about it.

Hyperlisk_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heran Bago said:
shinsil said:
jalaneme said:

Snaking is not a cheat.

I believe you just proved his point. You find it annoying because most likely you can't do it. Just because people find a way to master a game they enjoy does not mean that they are cheating in any way.

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
In all fairness, snaking was more of a tactical advantage to those that could pull it off...

I think it was a good decision to remove this though, in favour of something newer and more balanced, and in a way forces people to go through a newer experience, and master fresh techniques.

The problem with snaking for me is that while it was great when you could do it, it was quite difficult to do, and when it came to online play on the DS, it quickly made the game more of a chore in order to achieve a win, rather that to enjoy a good unpredictable, memorable and skilled race against n00b and pro alike.

I loved snaking to zoom quickly through the single player stuff and challenges to unlock everything, but ultimately what it boiled down to was detracting from what should have been a fun experience by excessive pad-waggling to create a little boost which quickly made MKDS boring for me.

Nintendo removing the snaking feature will make the game a lot more fun IMO.

ozzyzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hyperlisk_ said:
I believe you just proved his point. You find it annoying because most likely you can't do it. Just because people find a way to master a game they enjoy does not mean that they are cheating in any way.
This just made more sense than anything else in this thread. Bravo my friend! It always pissed me off because I could never win but then I started playing other online games and realized that it's simply the nature of the beast.

Any game that is played online, people are going to find the way to win. You either keep up or you lose. Sorry that all the anti-snaking people can't see that.

ben_r_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, I never knew what that was called. Thats too bad I guess as I was actually pretty good at it. Oh well, Im sure there will be some other secret boost. If not we'll all get pro at holding power slides and get our boosts there. Then people will complain about how others are better at thinking and working a little bit of game physics and how its cheating that they get a bigger boost.

Marticuno

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That the snaking has been changed on is old news
biggrin.gif
It's been on IGN since early February.

King Zargo

I'm a Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Nepal
Pro and cons about removing manual mini turbo are:

Pro:
n00bs disconnect less.
Bigger character selection.
And the "casuals" also might stand a chance.

Cons:
Game feels more casual. (Yes its a bad thing.)

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
ziddey said:
what bullshit. mario kart wii is going to absolutely blow.

haha! eat it cheater! your days are numbered!

shinsil said:
Snaking is not a cheat.

Its a technique and every one can use it. Most of the "non-snakers" act like its something evil or bad.

jalaneme said:
oh dear the snakers have arrived, they are starting to give reasons why their precious cheating tactics are in fact a "skill"

quoted the truth, it was inevitable...

QUOTE(shinsil @ Mar 17 2008, 09:02 PM)
Mario Kart Double Dash also has snaking and I hear nobody complain about it.

mega difference being is that the Wii version has online you are racing against other people worldwide, double dash was offline 100% you were racing against your cheating self and co, big difference there.

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
I guess snakers will just have to learn a new tactic
tongue.gif
Just because that particular feature is removed, doesn't necessarily mean the game will feel more casual. It's been said that speed boosts in the new Mario Kart Wii can be attained by performing 'tricks' like ssx tricky, or tony hawks, as seen on a half-pipe like level in some demo videos. New tactics will be found out eventually, it's only a matter of time.

I think this version of Mario Kart will be a lot more different compared to previous iterations, I'm just banking on it retaining the joy of the battle mode, and BLOCK FORT!

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
ziddey said:
what bullshit. mario kart wii is going to absolutely blow.

haha! eat it cheater! your days are numbered!

shinsil said:
Snaking is not a cheat.

Its a technique and every one can use it. Most of the "non-snakers" act like its something evil or bad.

jalaneme said:
oh dear the snakers have arrived, they are starting to give reasons why their precious cheating tactics are in fact a "skill"

quoted the truth, it was inevitable...

QUOTE(shinsil @ Mar 17 2008, 09:02 PM)
Mario Kart Double Dash also has snaking and I hear nobody complain about it.

mega difference being is that the Wii version has online you are racing against other people worldwide, double dash was offline 100% you were racing against your cheating self and co, big difference there.

Sorry to burst your bubble, the following is quoted from Wikipedia entry on the Snaking part of Mario Kart DS:

"A Nintendo of America official has personally described snaking as an intentional part of the game's design, considering that a similar technique could also be performed in Mario Kart: Double Dash!!."

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
mrwienerdog said:
Sorry to sound really dumb, but what is this 'snaking' you refer to?
it's a exploit boost glitch that is used online to cheat or get the "upper hand" in the race, i'm sure if you have played the DS version you should have encountered them by now.
That is not correct. There is a boost glitch in MKDS known as PRB (Prolonged Rocket Boost) and that isn't fun and wasn't meant to be in the game.
Snaking is different. Snaking is where you link one turbo boost to the next at any point, thus keeping your boost going.
Snaking is a technique, I'm not very good at it. I have a friend who is though, he is a better player of Mario Kart than me in general and has shown me the PRB 'glitch'. When I race him he doesn't use the PRB 'glitch' but does snake. I snake as much as I can comfortably. Sometimes I beat him, usually I don't.

He is better at the game than I am.

Here's a link about the PRB 'glitch' and other MKDS stuff.

pyrofreak421

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is making a rather obvious move with this. They have already attained a high notability in the casual gaming sector and this will help that greatly. Making the online play more friendly to a general audience. Snaking wasn't a cheat but it also detracted from what seems to be a basic formula of getting everyone to stay close and be launching shit at each other. If i just wanted to race and not really use the special stuff or traps or anything i would play Gran Turismo or something. As far as no one whining about snaking in double dash goes how many people do you know that actually play double dash??

SkankyYankee

GBAtemp Advanced Skank
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Snaking is in Mariokart DS Too, I just play with my non-snaking friends on wifi. Wii will be the same case, Snakers vs. Non Snakers. Snaking takes the fun out of it IMHO.

-edit- Isn't that why we all started playing in the first place? to have fun?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
jpxdude said:
tongue.gif

well i best enjoy the online part of the game for as long as i can before it's ruined again.

also it seems nintendo thinks it's cheating thats why it was removed in the first place, like i said before throwing your rattle out of your pram will get you nowhere this time
lecture.gif

QUOTESorry to burst your bubble, the following is quoted from Wikipedia entry on the Snaking part of Mario Kart DS:

"A Nintendo of America official has personally described snaking as an intentional part of the game's design, considering that a similar technique could also be performed in Mario Kart: Double Dash!!."

wikipedia can be edited by any individual therefore your sources are void.

King Zargo

I'm a Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Nepal
jalaneme said:
jpxdude said:
tongue.gif

well i best enjoy the online part of the game for as long as i can before it's ruined again.

also it seems nintendo thinks it's cheating thats why it was removed in the first place, like i said before throwing your rattle out of your pram will get you nowhere this time
lecture.gif

QUOTESorry to burst your bubble, the following is quoted from Wikipedia entry on the Snaking part of Mario Kart DS:

To be honest I would also like it better if they removed or nerved snaking in Mario Kart DS. But the fact still stands that it is a technique not a cheat. Its in the game why can't we use it? Should we drive slow when we can drive faster?

Please properly explain why snaking is a cheat? The game doesn't get hacked and it doesn't rely on cheating devices.

Hyperlisk_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:
That's a common misconception. Haven't you ever noticed how on Wikipedia they have to CITE REFERENCES? Obviously you (Along with MANY other people) just believe what you are told. Not to mention that they have moderators to make sure that only valid content is posted on Wikipedia's pages.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over