Super Mario Galaxy's JaiSeq.arc extractions and questions

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Mewgull, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Mewgull
    OP

Newcomer Mewgull Newbie

Canada
    Hello! I am newly registered, but I have been viewing the boards for the various help with hacking my Wii, and other hacking inquiries.

Recently, a friend extracted (nearly perfectly) all waves from Super Mario Galaxy, and working great and in full quality as *.wav
    He omitted some sounds that were not ripped correctly - which seemed to be various WiiRemote sound effects(?)
    I was greatly happy with this, so I attempted to find the sequences in which the instrument samples and sound effects are put to use, to attain the full collection. I have been searching everywhere and am at a loss for what to do now. And I would like your help.

Here is what I did:
    With Trucha Signer, I extracted a file called "JaiSeq.arc"
    Using rarcdump, I extracted the files from JaiSeq.arc to a directory which contained, it seems, the sequences I've been looking for. But they are all *.szs files! [​IMG]
    Most of the files are named, at the end "_midi_cnv.szs"
    The only methods (from what I researched so far) of viewing these files are if they are models, and they are not. So, whether they are plain text or code, I would like to somehow read them. That's where your help comes in; I do not know how to program stuff like that.

I would be very appreciative if someone could help me with this endeavour!
    Thanks alot

2. Mewgull
    OP

Newcomer Mewgull Newbie

Canada
    Bump?

(Is that okay?)

3. Mewgull
    OP

Newcomer Mewgull Newbie

Canada
    Bump.

Does no one have any idea? Sorry to nag XD

4. Mewgull
    OP

Newcomer Mewgull Newbie

Canada
    This is my last bump.

5. Helsionium

Member Helsionium Alpha and Omega

Austria
    While these files are named *.szs, they are actually in a new version of the *.bms file format. Nintendo EAD used this MIDI-like format at least since Zelda Wind Waker and there is at least one tool to convert them to MIDI files - I don't know the name, though, only that it was a PHP script. This tool works very well with the sequences in Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine and Twilight Princess, but it doesn't work well with Mario Galaxy - not because the format is different, but because the Mario Galaxy sequences also contain chords (used for some sound effects) and that makes the resulting MIDI files unbearable.