Super Mario Galaxy - let's compare notes about crashing with usb l

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Legah, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Legah
    OP

Newcomer Legah Advanced Member

Sweden
    I'm having some problems running Super Mario Galaxy (PAL) with USB Loader 1.1.

I've started a new save and the game hangs just about as the 'ufo' is right above the princess/castle in the very beginning of the game.

My HD does NOT power down, I actually sat with one hand on the drive itself the last two times to make sure that it keeps spinning all the time.

So, does Super Mario Galaxy work for you or not, and can you think of anything in particular you did to make it work.

2. bolex17

Member bolex17 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    My copy is working fine, ripped from an original NTSC-U disk
    RMGE01 SUPER MARIO GALAXY 3.27G

I can load and start a new file fine.

Strange..

3. bugaveli

Banned bugaveli Banned

United States
    i have pal forced ntsc but i havent tried starting a new game yet my savefile is past the second galaxy

4. magic12

Member magic12 GBAtemp Regular

Croatia
    not working for me on WD MyBook but when i put the game on my Apacer 4 GB Stick it works

5. knuttan

Newcomer knuttan Newbie

Norway
    Using a WD My Book 1TB Essential with a 500GB WBFS partition. Never had the crash at the UFO. Had crashing after about 10-15 minutes of play. I used hdparm to change the spindown timer to 5 1/2 hours, and it seems to have cured all the crashes. using USB loader 1.1, PAL Rip, 3.2U firmware. (PAL Wii, but changed to US with AnyRegion)

6. kongsnutz

Member kongsnutz QuickTimeEvent

Australia
    Working fine here PAL version, Seagate 80gb with an encloser case.

7. WiiBlaster

Member WiiBlaster GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Working fine here, NTSC segate 250 GB ripped form Original

8. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    When you first played it, did you play it as soon as you install it or did you install other games before you tried it?

9. spiritofcat

Member spiritofcat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Seems to be working fine for me. PAL on PAL system. 80GB Samsung IDE drive in an iSun enclosure.
    Installed from an ISO file, I've tested it all the way through from starting a new save file up to the tutorial level with the bunnies and it's worked both from a YAL channel and from the USB Loader.

Legah, how did you install? From a DVD or an ISO?
    If it's from a DVD, make sure the DVD is clean and not scratched and try installing it again.

10. Legah
    OP

Sweden
    I installed it from an ISO

Done it two times, first with 10+ other games installed, then reformated and ran hdparm as knuttan did, also set it to 5½ hours. The drive never stops spinning, but there seems to be something happening just before the ufo incident, almost as the drive tries to realign as everything hangs for 1 sec, then continues and finally stops.

Before re-formating I also made a chkdsk and looked for faulty sectors but the drive is fine.
    I've been playing Mario Strikers, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros without problems on this drive, it's just Super Mario Galaxy that's acting up, and just to be sure I also tried it when I had a disc in drive.

11. magic12

Member magic12 GBAtemp Regular

Croatia
    yes i have that too. some external desktop drives have issues with this game

12. Legah
    OP

Sweden
    I just can't figure out what kind of problems some drives might have with this game.. I've changed drive settings so it doesn't go to sleep and everything else shouldn't be any different from any other drive imo.. strange..

I also tried it today with two new 'enclosures', but the result is the same, it crashes at the ufo scene every time.

I'm going to get a new iso and try out tomorrow and I might try another drive, a wester digital 500GB s-ata if I can find room for my files

13. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    not the 1 min bug caused by usb internet adaptor settings being present?

14. Legah
    OP

Sweden
    nope, not using usb internet adaptor, and I've tried both with and without wiiconnect24

15. Carty1970

Newcomer Carty1970 Member

United Kingdom
    My SMG crashed consistently during the intro sequence. I tried two different drives and it happened at the same point. Also Zelda TP crashed after only a minute or two. Other games were fine.

I downgraded my Wii to 3.2E, updated it (cocked it up a bit, locked myself out of homebrew totally, scared myself stupid and then rescued it) and then reupdated to 4.0 again using the tutorials on here, and now both games run without problems.

16. Legah
    OP

Sweden
    Carty1970 - what exactly did you do?
    Haven't tried TP yet, I'm about to empty a sata drive to try with..

btw, are you on a pal Wii, just saw the flag (us) and that seemed weird.

17. Legah
    OP

Sweden
    I emptied a sata drive and tried but the results were the same with galaxy PAL
    Today I tried galaxy NTSC-U, and I actually got a bit further, but it crashed after jumping to my third planet in the tutorial
    Seems to be something strange with this game, not sure what it does that makes it crash when reading from hd

18. Carty1970

Newcomer Carty1970 Member

United Kingdom
    Yes I'm on a PAL Wii. If I've got a US flag here its because I didn't set up my profile properly!

I posted elsewhere here that I had foolishly managed to lock myself out of the homebrew channel and the ISO loader but I managed to find another way to run ISOs. It was this that I was trying to fix which is why I downgraded my Wii, but it had the added benefit of also sorting out my crashing Mario & TP problem.

I ran the Anyregion downgrader and went to 3.2E. They I followed one of the guides on here by installing CIOS 36 rev 9, running the IOS downgrader AND the CIOS downgrader, installing rev9 again just for good measure, then upgrading to 4.0 using Waninkoko's updater and then put preloader .29 in place.

Some part of this process fixed my issue but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are desperate and feeling brave! I seem to have fixed my crashing problem by chance rather than by design.

19. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    I didn't try starting a new game, but it works fine for me when I continue my game. PAL wii and SMG. Dumped it myself from the original disc.

20. delta123

Member delta123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    put on the PAL and NTSC versions of the game. but both games crash at the scene in the beginning, where you are running to peach after bowser comes.

i might have to force a different language so my game can play.