'Super Mario Galaxy DS' demake gets new progress update

mario galaxy DS.JPG

Demakes are not uncommon among homebrewers and late last year we saw a Game Boy fan demake of Disco Elysium. The latest such project is intended for the Nintendo DS and involves a rather popular title: Super Mario Galaxy. This project has been going on for several years; at least since 2017 according to the first video shared by the homebrew developers on their YouTube channel, 'Jesse'. In 2018, they even released a playable demo and yesterday, a new progress update video was shared on the channel, mentioning that the developers are now able to make playable levels for their DS demake:

While there are features like sound effects missing, they do mention that what can be seen in the latest video works on real hardware, audio and all. The video description credits "Jelle, Gericom, Stomatol and Ermii" as well as shares a link to a Discord server to keep in touch with updates.

What do you think of this project? Would it entice you to dust off your Nintendo DS and play Super Mario Galaxy on it?

:arrow: SOURCE

Archerite

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Really impressive that that is running on actual DS hardware, and it shows that if you put effort into it the NDS is powerful enough to do this! I could not even get my 2D platform game running nicely on it...but that was for other reasons. :shy::wink:

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
It is not just the physics quality, it is also the smooth camera quality that looks similar to the real thing.
Smoothness is just frame rates. Game is cleverly optimized so it doesn't waste hardware resources that it has available to acheave 60 fps.
fps actually depends on how much it show on screen at a time, and this is still a demo not a real thing. The more you add the less smooth it gets, unless you optimize and take out something not needed at the moment of rendering. Its clever, not impressive imo.
Thats just how i see it.
Says the person who is not making Mario Galaxy for the DS :lol:
J/k, but the impressive part is actually making Galaxy DS from scratch, most ports its basically a conversion process with some fine tuning.. Yes of course its within the DS' limits, did you expect custom hardware or magic? ;)
Well its been 17 years since first game came out.
Every newer and newer game is looking more and more impressive than it used to and pushes the hardware even more.

When developers learn the hardware and new, better, faster technologies become available to produce games.
Its easier than ever these days to make a game and we know so much about DS now after 17 years.

That's why i don't find it impressive per se, cause i was expecting this. But that's why i find it exciting that someone actually made this into a reality.

This is the most impressive software I have seen for Nintendo DS, even comparing to licensed software.

I looked up Super Mario 64 to make sure.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Exactly.
licensed software doesn't mean much. i seen licensed software that is actually a crap and fans actually cared enough to make it good and utilize full hardware capabilities.
I mean developers of licensed software usually have a reason (corporate or practical) to limit a game not to use all hardware capabilities such as to save batter for example or to be 30 fps on purpose to evade slowdowns at the cost of lover frame rate but stable.

I mean just look at vita scene. many games are limited in resolution and hardware power that game uses...why? beats me, but once you unlock it by shady means you have exquisite looking game that runs 60 fps..but as i said it drains battery more and heats up hardware on return, and it can slowdown sometimes....

Whatever the reason, the point is "licensed" means nothing, its not ultimate comparison to game pushed to its limits.
Its just not always black and white.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But yeah...great job developer, for sure!

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well its been 17 years since first game came out.
Every newer and newer game is looking more and more impressive than it used to and pushes the hardware even more.

When developers learn the hardware and new, better, faster technologies become available to produce games.
Its easier than ever these days to make a game and we know so much about DS now after 17 years.

That's why i don't find it impressive per se, cause i was expecting this. But that's why i find it exciting that someone actually made this into a reality.
Good luck with those unrealistic standards. IMO anything worthwhile that I couldn't do myself is impressive to me.

Reactions: MetoMeto

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Smoothness is just frame rates. Game is cleverly optimized so it doesn't waste hardware resources that it has available to acheave 60 fps.
fps actually depends on how much it show on screen at a time, and this is still a demo not a real thing. The more you add the less smooth it gets, unless you optimize and take out something not needed at the moment of rendering. Its clever, not impressive imo.
Thats just how i see it.
It's 30 FPS, also afaik NDS doesn't have render lag (it eventually just stops drawing some triangles, I think), but idk the specifics

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse