Super Mario Galaxy and my Wii...

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by m3rox, Mar 5, 2011.

Mar 5, 2011
  1. m3rox
    OP

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    So I bought Super Mario Galaxy from GameStop yesterday, got home, put it in my Wii and during the intro scene where Bowser is kidnapping Peach (that part shouldn't be a spoiler, unless you've never played a Mario game before) my Wii pops up with a message saying that it can't read the disc. So I returned it and the employee said the disc didn't look legit (something about the shinyness of the disc), and replaced it no questions asked. So today I get home, pop the game in the Wii, it gets past that spot, and guess what. Game cannot be read, right as Bowser is carving the circle around Peach's castle.

My Wii can play any other game without a single issue, yet this one seems to a different story. Is this a common issue? Should I just give up and play a different game?

2. floydo

Member floydo GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    No, just seems like insanely bad luck, I would pursue it because it is a good game and If I didn't get it to work I'd be worried that other games would do the same thing.

3. m3rox
    OP

Member m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Bad luck... good to hear. Too bad GameStop isn't like GameCrazy (where you could try a game before you bought it). I'll take it back again and hopefully get a good disk. It's weird, this is the only game that has ever done this to me.

4. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    It's certainly not a common issue (at least: I've never heard it before). Going by Occam's razor (the most likely solution is probably the best), I think the shopkeeper accidentally gave you the exact same disc instead of a replacement.

The only other thing I can think of is 'make sure your IOS'es are updated'. You can do this by updating your firmware, though I have to warn you: this place is ridden with hackers and pirates, so if you plan to go that route, this is the very last thing you should do. It'll work fine for retail games, though (although I can't promise it'll actually fix your issue).

5. Arfiol

Newcomer Arfiol Member

Sweden
    This is also a long shot, but something might have happened to their latest shipment of SMG discs. If so, then they should have fixed the problem by now. It is more likely, however, that the shopkeeper just happened to give you the same disc by mistake.