• Start date
  • Views 2,824
  • Replies 25
D

Deleted_171835

OP
shZ0bbdAWk_svjaq6gm3BSbNkOtjuI2D.jpg

QUOTE said:
It seems Nintendo will be taking a more simplified, classic approach to level navigation in Super Mario Galaxy 2: unlike its predecessor, there won't be a hub world. Game Informer reports that like New Super Mario Bros. Wii and so many 2D Mario titles before it, SMG2 is going the "world map" route.

"We want players to focus on the joy of the action instead of getting to each game course," said famed designer Shigeru Miyamoto. "We wanted to make it as accessible as possible and as easy as possible for the players."

"Also, because we're going to incorporate a number of different stars and conquering all the stars is going to be one of the most challenging missions for the player, we want them to understand as easy as possible where they should go next and which places they should go back to in order to get access to the remaining stars."

I wasn't particularly fond of Super Mario Galaxy's hub world, and the same could be said of New SMB Wii's world map. I like either approach when they feel inspired and imaginative; it's as simple as that. Good examples of this include the Donkey Kong Country games as well as the Banjo-Kazooie series.

Banjo-Kazooie had the best hub world of all time! I think this is great. I didn't exactly like the first Super Mario Galaxy's hub world. I'll still miss it, though.

Via: Destructoid
Source: Gameinformer

Edit1: Edited to a more suitable picture. Thanks YayMiiand Hadrian

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I do like hub worlds but i really didnt like Galaxys hub world beyond the flying. So i guess no big deal but it would have been nice to have a cool one.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
RockmanForte said:
I dont know what is hub worlds?A hub world is what you appear in when you load the game. It has doors that lead into actual levels.

BTW, I pointed this out 1-2 months ago, as there was a screenshot with the map screen thing. See:
YayMii said:
QUOTE(Hadrian @ Feb 24 2010, 03:02 PM)
Ooh look, they're removing the storyline (and plaza-style level selection)!

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
RockmanForte said:
I dont know what is hub worlds?A hub world is what you appear in when you load the game. It has doors that lead into actual levels.

BTW, I pointed this out 1-2 months ago, as there was a screenshot with the map screen thing. See:
YayMii said:
QUOTE(Hadrian @ Feb 24 2010, 03:02 PM)
Ooh look, they're removing the storyline (and plaza-style level selection)!

This is officially official though.

Plus, people's finds are almost always stolen in USN (User Submitted News). Like when that guy said there was a mysterious update for the DSi and no one believed him, then someone with over 1000 posts posted it and everyone went "OMG! Awesome find!!!!!!!!".

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think the most disappointing part (or maybe the only disappointing part
tongue.gif
) of Galaxy was the HUB-World. It really didn`t add much to the game. And I think before they integrate the same kind of HUB without improvements in Galaxy2 they could just leave it out...

But what I really wished is, that they would make a HUB-World similar to Sunshine, since that was an amazing HUB-World. There were many things and places to explore and to find out.

But what I really don`t get are statements like this one:
QUOTE said:
"We want players to focus on the joy of the action instead of getting to each game course," said famed designer Shigeru Miyamoto. "We wanted to make it as accessible as possible and as easy as possible for the players."
Why don`t they just incooperate both... It`s like with the Wi-Fi Option in NSMBWii! To Have a Select-Screen (as a short-cut) shouldn`t rule out a HUB-World, like local-Multiplayer shouldn`t IMHO rule out Online-Multiplayer...

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Master Mo said:
QUOTE said:
Miyamoto's basically saying the Hub world shouldn't be a big part of the game, and was removed in order for the player to focus on the actual levels of the game.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
Master Mo said:
QUOTE said:
Miyamoto's basically saying the Hub world shouldn't be a big part of the game, and was removed in order for the player to focus on the actual levels of the game.

But so many people loved the Hub world and it added a little something extra that really made the game amazing (sure the game is amazing anyway, but c'mon, the Hub world was fun).

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds to me like budget restrictions. They're probably just doing as little as they can on this one, not to say it doesn't look amazing, cause it sure as hell does, but I bet the majority of levels in this one were ones that made the chop in the original Galaxy.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shaunj66 said:
Sounds to me like budget restrictions. They're probably just doing as little as they can on this one, not to say it doesn't look amazing, cause it sure as hell does, but I bet the majority of levels in this one were ones that made the chop in the original Galaxy.
So you think there rushing this one? I don't think they would do that on a Mario game.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
shaunj66 said:
I don't think so. Usually the hub world fits into the story somehow, but Nintendo has stated they wanted less of a story (Mario games don't need a story, right?), so there wouldn't be a seamless way to put in a hub world.
And also, Nintendo has stated that they wanted to make SMG2 bigger and better, and they spent 2-3 years making it. Why would it be rushed?

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
...Nintendo has stated they wanted less of a story (Mario games don't need a story, right?), so there wouldn't be a seamless way to put in a hub world.

Super Mario 64 isn't exactly what I'd call a game with an emphasis on storytelling, and yet its hub world doesn't really feel out of place.
I'm not doubting Nintendo's ability to make choices for the better, but with each scrap of news that gets out about Galaxy 2, I get more and more afraid that it's gonna be inferior...

(slaps self) Cut it out, Geoflcl, it's gonna be great!
wacko.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: