Super Mario Galaxy 2 Posers and Losers (Read)

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by blackacidevil, May 23, 2010.

1. blackacidevil
    OP

Member blackacidevil GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    First off, I dont want to be banned nor receive a warning or anything like that.

I see a bunch of topics saying SMG 2 beaten, took me 10 hours, took another guy 12 hours. Look how elite I am, its done and gone and finished.

I'd like to smack everyone of you guys who "supposedly beat it in whatever hours, or because your king supreme.

The reason i want to smack you guys is, everyone whos played mario and it has that Nostalgic feeling playing Mario, because either they were there playing the orginals, respected the games, looked at all the hard work gone in to them, or whatever.

Super Mario Galaxy to me, and Im a tough critic and Ill run a game into the ground if its crap, Im 30 years old, Super Mario Galaxy took me 42 days to beat, Im no slacker. I thought SMG 1 was some of the best content and gameplay Ive ever seen in a game. It was well delivered to the Wii compared to their attempt at Mario Sunshine which made the franchise look like it was finished.

Now Im giving SMG1 my top 3 games of all time, now heres the reason why compared to the ppl playing SMG2 in 10 hour or 24 hours or whatever other time you have posted for beating it .

Marios like a fine wine, and I love it taking me 42 days, hey I work, but there was nothing better than going downstairs and trying to get 120 stars and no walkthroughs, playing mario. Im not slow or below you guys getting 10 hours or 24 hours beating it and having to post some stupid topic so others can see. (At the same time, at age, I should know better not writing this)

You've completely missed the purpose of Super Mario, you dont try and beat the game in record speed or in ten hours. You really need to grasp the level design and work put into a game like this, its a masterpiece. You look like complete idiots saying you've beat it, maybe I believe you or maybe I dont. But play the game, feel it, look at every detail or the choice of music and how great of an experience the game is.

You have not played SMG2 if you tried to fly past it on an allnighter, you wasted the 10 or 24 hours youll never get back in your life.

Play and experience a game like this, and FFS go and beat something like Cooking Mama 2 or Pizza Delivery Boy in 10 hours and tell us about it.

My top three pics of all time games

1)X-Com by Microprose PC (early 90s)
    2) Super Mario Galaxy Wii
    3) Dragon Quest 8 for PS2

And last suggestion,

This is GBAtemp, which is such a great site thats evolved over the years and is in my opinion the best place to go and read forums and talk among experts or get helped with your modded wii or your ds or whatever. this place has top game users. And they strive for this site not to get involved in roms, where to get games or anything that may implicate as running a site that supports backup/roms.

Keep this stuff to yourself, Yes I get it , -snip- has the image you are on about. Youve told us, its not released till 23rd/monday, we all get it. Yes good job, your great, I worship you. But honestly if you wanna brag and be an idiot, you'd be best with a Nintendo Power subscription and a roll of sweetarts.

Anyway, thats my thoughts,

Rhos

2. SFenton

Member SFenton ಠ_ಠ

United States
    While I somewhat agree that the bragging needs to be toned down, even you must agree, as a classic Mario player, that speedruns are a part of Mario's history. Granted, these aren't speedruns, but when those do come around, I believe that they can necessitate a new topic.

But I agree with you on your main points. Besides- why would you pay $50 (sigh... I know nobody on here did) to rush through a game? I invest to have fun- and thus, as Mario's fun builds as you play, take the time to slow down and enjoy it. Learn his tricks- they'll not only help you later on in the game but they help you enjoy the character more.

3. blackacidevil
    OP

Canada
    Hey there,

I appericate your quick reply as I was about to call it a night. And I see your an advanced user and I appericate that you see where I was coming from.

One thing I think I needed to stress more or let others know is Im not an old foggie whos saying "Slow down, look at the placement of coins and purple star bits". No doubt, play the game and beat it quick, you dont need to sight see this game. Thats not my point.

I know yourself and others know what Im talking about. When I have a great game, I like to really explore it, do every extra and king that game the most difficult way as possible. But I need to beat a game, doing it all by myself (No youtube, no asking the buddy who is hanging out at your house stoned up to try this level, and take credit for it) I mean every level done by you and you alone.

Well Im just a bit hyper and happy I did the SWG1, it was nice for me, I guess to be out of my gaming prime for a game like mario and to match a lot of great players (mostly youngings) and to have matched their achievements. Cause I literally came and played the game new to the wii controls.

I thought the 8th star, flipswitch galaxy at the time was the hardest thing Id ever seen. But I enjoyed what was I guess the equivelant of a George foreman comeback in a different era.

My hardest levels for SMG1 (and I love reading what others were)

1) Daredevil Lava Spire
    2) Dreadnrought Battle something purple coins
    3) Rolling Gizmo Galaxy

4. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    People just have different ways of appreciating a game I guess.
    Some people like to beat it as fast as possible, others like to explore a bit more. [​IMG]

Personally I'm a bit in between [​IMG]

Edit: My hardest SMG1 levels? Hmm, I'll have to think about that one (long time ago since I played SMG1)

Edit2:
    Why would you get a warn for this? [​IMG] (If it was worth a warn that line wouldn't help too)

5. Bitbyte

Member Bitbyte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    Their first playthrough, most speedrunners almost always enjoy the game for what it is, then they start looking for tricks/glitches to implement in a possible speedrun.
    I strongly agree, it sucks that people must ruin their experience like this. Why rush through one of the greatest games ever created? That's a shame really, and I'm sure
    they weren't enjoying the game as much as they should. I know that from experience since I sometimes have to rush through games as well, because of my huge backlog.

*edit: also, I'm pretty sure them being a pirate plays a pretty big part in this. There's just so much games to play, most pirates tend to complete games quickly versus taking
    their sweet time and 100%'ing a game.

6. blackacidevil
    OP

Canada
  7. Gnargle

Member Gnargle The day I set a profile picture is the day I die

United Kingdom
    Implying SMS wasn't incredible for its time. Or now, for that matter. I still get it out sometimes.

Other than that, however, I agree with you. Mario is about the experience and not just rushing through the game, IMO.

8. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    i play 1 world sometimes 1 and half per day and that's all this is gonna last me for a week at least. and i agree peeps who play it and beat it in under 10 hrs are just sad their not even enjoying the game to it's fullest. [​IMG]

9. Tomobobo

Member Tomobobo Champion.

United States
    Mario is made for speed runs. Always has been.

10. PsychoticDust

Member PsychoticDust GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Hmm.... I mostly agree with the OP. I'm 23 and have been playing Mario games since I was about 4. I personally just take games at my natural pace and if it takes me 2 days or 200 to complete a game then that's fine with me (SMG1 took me a week). Regardless of my pace I'll always appreciate a game for what it is.

However, let's be objective and look at it from another perspective. Some people feel just as good about completing a game ultra quickly as someone would from taking their time. If that's the case then they have in no way ruined the game for themselves. People play and get their kicks in different ways.

11. Bladexdsl

Australia
    complete the game in a day though and you don't realize once you do that you now have nothing to play on the wii again cos there's nothing but SW being released till about 2 weeks later maybe longer. [​IMG]

12. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    The shortest time I've spent was when I finished Assassin's Creed 2 for a week (even the people at Gamestation were shocked that I finished it so quickly when I returned the game) but I really enjoyed that game. I didn't do any speedruns (you call the feather collecting part of the speedrun? You're a douche then!), played it every day within that week (maybe 4-6 hours per day?) and I finished it so quick because I was hugely familiar with the controls and managed to 100% the first one - including the tedious 500-flag collection sidequest.

It took me at least 3 months to finish SMG because I really enjoyed the game. Did everything and I really enjoyed it, mostly the Prankster Comets and that stupid water time trial level. I didn't really play it everyday when I had the game as I was doing college work as well.

Personally I hate speedrun games. I liked Mario but I still haven't finished at least one Sonic game nor the SMB: Lost Levels (collecting e-dust on my Wii). For some reason, I don't really find the Sonic games "fun". Maybe it's because I prefer collecting things in games than skipping them (perfect example would be Assassin's Creed) Heck, before I sold SMG, I collecting 1-UPs until I have x99 lives and 999 coins [​IMG]

13. PsychoticDust

United Kingdom
    SW? Hey I'm looking forward to the new Metroid game and Zelda. Beyond that though.... oh well back to Xbox Live.

14. Bladexdsl

Australia
    they won't be out for months! next month there's some pretty good games coming (ARF any1?!) but they are at least 3 weeks away

15. PsychoticDust

United Kingdom
    I'm patient. I'm playing alot of BFBC2 on XBL with my friends at the moment, which is good fun, so I don't mind. Also, ARF? Lol I can't keep up with your abbreviations today lol.

16. Bladexdsl

Australia
    arf: arc rise fantasia

17. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    The game is stellar and if it doesn't surpass the first one it certainly matches it. To be honest though I don't think anyone should be told that the way they are playing a game is wrong or incorrect. I've moved at a quick pace admittedly but I've had plenty of fun doing so. The fact that you can decide yourself how you want to break things up and tackle it in any time frame is one of the many many reasons it's great.

This would be the main reason I suspect for folks 'round here rushing through a game or even more often just tossing one aside and heading to another. Without a transaction and actual cash put into a game, pirates don't feel the same need to get the most of their value of it.

18. knilsilooc

Member knilsilooc GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm at 114 stars so far, been playing since Friday night. Yes, I've gone through it quickly, but I have been taking time to appreciate the levels and whatnot. I wasn't trying to beat the game so quickly, but it's hard to put it down when you don't have to! And who's to say I won't go back and play the game again? I certainly will, because I love it so much.

Regarding SMG1, that game took me about three days to complete (120 stars). I still go back and play that game too, I haven't wasted the experience or whatever. I think it's quite silly to assume that just because someone beat a game quickly, they'll never go back and play it again, and they didn't take time to appreciate the design of the game.

19. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    The thread was TL;DR.
    But I am tired of people thinking beating the game in so few hours is something to brag about.

The game is ferociously easy...
    I mean it's like someone coming in here and bragging about beating a Hello Kitty game in 10 hours.
    Nostalgia, and the cool twist to mario are indeed the only reason most people really play the game.

I don't care if people speed run a game...but if you speed run an easy game, for the love of god don't brag about it.

20. mightymage

Member mightymage GBAtemp Regular

United States
    speed run i wanna be the guy then comeback and tyell me about it