XP
Country
New Zealand
This Is an Idea I Had that act Similar to that Of The AR Cards

Basically

You would Have the Game Cartridge

[Super Mario Bros 4D]

It would Come Included with some speical AR Cards

[4x Mario Cards (Incase You Lose some Of Them)
4x Boss Cards (Again Incase You Lose some Of Them
4x Luigi Cards (Again I dont need to say it)

Basically what You would do Is

Start The Game Up
When You Start your Game Up You will Be Greeted by a Cutscene In where Bowser Kidnaps Peach (For Like the Bazillionth Time) and Jumps Into a Portal that Leads To the Real World
So Mario and Luigi Jump Into the action However Bowser Escapes Closing the Portal Behind Him
Mario And Luigi Can Access Certain Parts Of The Real World By Jumping Into the Level Warps

This Is where the "Special" AR Cards Come Into Play
You would Place One on the Table In the Game Play Area and Depending On what Card you Had there either Mario Or Luigi would show up On the real world area then the Level would appear

Basically this would allow Mario and Luigi to use the Objects Around them to Their Advantage For Example

Maybe A Star Coin Is to High for either Of them to jump Up to so you Put a book on the Playing Field which then Becomes Part of the Playing Field where Mario or Luigi Can Jump Onto It allowing them to reach said star coin

I think this should Be a Game On 3DS Discuss

Fake Image I made For SMB4D

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is indeed a great example of using AR, but the AR is too unstable for this. Also, this wouldn't work properly because the camera's, well they aren't that great. I have many problems with the normal AR games. It could work, tho. But not for a full game. Maybe an eShop experiment.

Shubshub

The Shubinator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Pretty sure that would still be 3D =P Just a more interesting version of 3D.

Yes it would Be 3D But I wanted to Call It 4D For 2 Reasons

1. It would Technicly Be Super Mario Bros 4
2. It has Technicly a 4th dimension since its In the Real world Which is a different dimension to the game dimension

I Might Make a Boxart for it

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You would have to set up things in advance for this to work, much like how they did in the Vita demo... The cameras / AR-stuff doesn't recognize the depth, only where the digital characters are in relation to the AR-card. And the scene would have to be static, because you would have to set that a book for example is x deep, y high and z wide somehow, through some input from the player, and then if you move that said book, you'd also have to move the user inputted bounding box, and transform it so it would work with the camera angles and all...

Interesting idea, but I think it would be hard to pull off...

saberjoy

Trophies
XP
Country
India
2. It has Technicly a 4th dimension since its In the Real world Which is a different dimension to the game dimension
well im just saying, but everyone thinks that the real world has 4 dimensions, what 4d actually means is that there are 3 dimensions along with the passage of time
if you know how to plot graphs you might know what co ordinates of a point are, there are 3 axis in a graph, x axis, yaxis,and z axis, this is called 3d, the co ordinates are used to identify the position of an object but
in 4d a fourth co ordinate is used which is time, so its not 4 dimensions but 3 dimensions along with time,
p.s. im just saying this cuz i didnt want people to misenterpret 4d , sorry if it souns too geeky! :ha:

Shubshub

The Shubinator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_jXb60hkPuA[/media]
Drunk: I posted this drunk. I apologize from the bottom of my heart if this post is racist, sexist, inflammatory, explosive, squishy, biting, or racist. I'm drinking on some nasty ass beer.

Lol The way that those 3D Models are Made Reminds Me Of Chibi-Robo (That was a fun Game Chibi Robo On DS)

JonnyPoots

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AR cards shouldn't be required for something like this. Perhaps something called SMB4D would play out more like The Hidden (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56Xt3oC8qh4), which is like extreme face raiders. Perhaps you could play the role of Mario and follow a projected Luigi, or vice versa, chasing Bowser or his kids or something around your house. Also, the entertainment world has used the term "4D" to mean a more immersive experience with a 3D movie - like wind / rain machines, vibration, etc.

D

Deleted User

mario4d.jpg

100791_340.jpg

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS doesn't have good enough collision detection yet so this wouldn't work right now. Not even on the Vita. The technology isn't good or cheap enough for a consumer handheld yet. Maybe in the future :)
collision detection isn't the term you're looking for. The 3DS does not have collision detection implemented by hardware calculations.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you have to capitalize EVERY SINGLE WORD?
Oh Jathran :D

Anyway, Im pretty sure this wouldnt work unless the 3DS was somehow able to use a boxed area (like the inside of a board game) and be able to use spots on the board (like mini AR cards) then by blocking out that spot the 3DS could judge the distance. But that seem way too clunky for a portable system (you would have to carry the board around and that would have to be about the size of a board game.)

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, please. It can't be called Super Mario Bros. 4D, because it's not four dimensional.
The fourth dimension utilises the measure of spissitude along the w axis, orthogonal to x, y and z. If Nintendo developed a Mario game which utilised that extra potential space dimension, then they could call it 4D.

Reactions: 3 people

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure that would still be 3D =P Just a more interesting version of 3D.

Yes it would Be 3D But I wanted to Call It 4D For 2 Reasons

1. It would Technicly Be Super Mario Bros 4

I Might Make a Boxart for it
The fourth dimension is time.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
And all games take place over time. So all 3D games are by default 4D too.

What about 2.5D games? do they become 3.5D?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things