Super Mario Bros. 35 now available on the Nintendo eShop

If you've ever wanted to know what a Super Mario battle royale game would look like, you don't have to wait any longer. Nintendo has begun to roll out Super Mario Bros. 35 across the Japanese Nintendo eShop, with the game to launch in other regions throughout the rest of today's scheduled launch date. As revealed previously, Super Mario Bros. 35 features 35 different players each vying to defeat the other, by clearing a stage while other players attack Mario. As most battle royale games tend to be, it'll be free to play, though it'll also be available to play for a limited time. According to Nintendo, Super Mario Bros. 35 will be delisted and unplayable after March 31, 2021. So be sure to grab it when it releases in your region and try it out before it's gone for good.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the game idea nintendo stole from a fan :glare:
It's a very different implementation, and sticking Battle Royale next to an established series isn't exactly something unique.

It's more like they stole the idea from Tetris 99 with the UI similarities and overall concept.

SANICspeed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
It's a very different implementation, and sticking Battle Royale next to an established series isn't exactly something unique.

It's more like they stole the idea from Tetris 99 with the UI similarities and overall concept.

my guess is, that they changed it up on purpose, because it would have been too similar otherwise.
_
I assume one needs Nintendo Switch Online for this and I won’t cave in now.

Reactions: HarveyHouston

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
my guess is, that they changed it up on purpose, because it would have been too similar otherwise.
_
I assume one needs Nintendo Switch Online for this and I won’t cave in now.
Honestly I doubt that's it. Mario Maker 2's VS mode is already very similar to how the fan made battle royale played, so any anger about stealing ideas should probably be directed there.

They probably just wanted to differentiate it somewhat, as well as find a way to address the issues it had because of the poor online infrastructure and having multiple players moving through a level together in real time.

What they have here seems like a reasonable solution, while still letting you have an effect on the other players.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, whatever one player kills in a world, it gets sent to another players' screen?

...this could just be a mode in some sort of Super Mario fangame.

Also, what's up with all this "limited availability" crap, especially in regards to Mario? If anything, you'd think that they'd want to keep making this and other stuff like the Super Mario 3D collection available given that Mario is the face of Nintendo. I might understand something like them being afraid that an F-Zero or Metroid Prime Trilogy collection might not sell as well considering they're more niche, but Nintendo has an opportunity to sell to a customer base that they have not had for a mainstream console ever since the Wii, and they keep bungling things up.

Like, I get not teasing much for this year given how bad COVID has fucked everything and everyone in the world over. But saying flat out that games starring the face of your company will only be available to play for a limited time comes off as not having faith in the products you're selling, let alone the brand.

Nintendo better be planning to fire on all cylinders next year, because if not, the Switch Pro is going to flop, and I can't see a much better fate in store for the Switch 2.

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I detest this limited availability thing. It literally makes no sense, for a digitally distributed game that probably uses peer-to-peer netcode. Can't wait for the homebrew scene to make this playable on its own, if they got Wiimmfi to work, I can definitely see a project to make sure these limited eShop titles live on coming to be pretty soon..

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
it'll be unplayable too?

well, it's hard to say why they would do it, i'm sure there's some kinda reason for it. like, making people buy a switch for christmas so they can get this for example, but it wouldn't make sense if the game itself became unplayable after march.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would anyone really play this?

More people would play it in a fangame. This, on the other hand? After that expiration date, unless if someone is using...less-than-official means of playing it online with others, the playerbase will crash harder than the Great Depression stock market crash of 1929!

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More people would play it in a fangame. This, on the other hand? After that expiration date, unless if someone is using...less-than-official means of playing it online with others, the playerbase will crash harder than the Great Depression stock market crash of 1929!
Couldn't agree more

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs