Super Mario amiibo - Gold Edition available on March 20 exclusively at Walmart

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by T-hug, Feb 26, 2015.

1. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    amiibo_SMario_GoldMario_pkg_RGB_01.jpg
    The new gold-colored Mario amiibo is compatible with multiple games that support amiibo. For example, Mario Party 10 features a new amiibo Party mode that players can only access by tapping their compatible amiibo figures on the Wii U GamePad controller to customize them and bring them into the game as board pieces. Players can also save items to their amiibo, then use them strategically. Or players can train their amiibo to supercharge its stats and expand its abilities in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U or Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. The full list of compatible games and amiibo can be found at http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/compatibility.

:arrow:Official Site

2. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    It might be a US Target exclusive but it'll possibly be available in Europe too because Nintendo knows this'll be sold out quickly. Then again, Nintendo's the same company that made a limited quantity of Shulk, Meta Knight and King Dedede amiibos which are only available for triple the retail price or more.

3. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    US Walmart exclusive, bruh. Ha, but typo aside, this one is actually meant to be limited edition, so I'm sure if it appears in other regions, it will be as limited as the stupidly rare amiibos now, but this time with the purpose of the item actually landing in few hands.

4. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    Let me guess, each walmart will only get 2 figures each and never get another restock?
    Love how nintendo keeps creating and encouraging the scalper market, I really could care about these skylanders/disney infinity rippoffs but fix your supply problems nintendo, fans of your company and games do actually want to buy them but they cant because what little stock the stores recieved have been bought up by resellers. Then you quickly rush to announce the figure is discontinued rather then creating more setting the price even higher for resellers and your actual fans are left sol.

SS4 likes this.
  5. robman62

robman62 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2008
    United States
    No Walmarts in my city, I am going to have to commission my younger siblings to find me one of these.

6. Nollog

Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2008
    *In North America.

7. kirbymaster101

kirbymaster101 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 21, 2008
    Canada
    going back to OG feels like a downgrade, oh well at least I can enjoy smash on the big screen :P

8. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I neeeeeeeed this in my European life! How do we get one?

(FYI: I have all 29 currently released in UK :) )

PityOnU likes this.
  9. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Nice man. I'm in the US and have all 29 as well. Had to get Rosalina off of scalpers for $35, but the rest I managed to get retail.

For those interested, this was actually up for preorder on the Walmart website this morning.

Went OOS in less than 10 minutes.

KiiWii likes this.
  10. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    #Cashcow

11. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    European? Why do you have an Aussie flag?

12. Haterbait

Haterbait Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2009
    United States
    Seen this somewhere before... I don't remember Mushroom Kingdom currency having coin denominations stamped onto them though. I suppose they should, as its be like paying for everything in pennies otherwise.

13. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    looks like amiibo is now nintendo's iphone

14. shadow1w2

shadow1w2 Still here.

Mar 16, 2004
    United States
    CA
    Would be funny if they made Amiibos out of their consoles.
    Likely a Virtual Boy Amiibo would be in limited numbers sadly.

As for the Gold edition Mario that looks nice but too bad you can't play as gold mario in the game.
    More surprised a Metal Mario Amiibo didn't happen as they seem to love throwing Metal Mario into games lately.

15. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    People move around mate ;)

16. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Sorry double post.

17. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Well then, you could change that flag since you ain't in Aussie no more.

18. BowlOfSpiders

BowlOfSpiders hi

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    United States
    I guess I'm the only person who finds this golden Amiibo to be absolutely disgusting? :P

19. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    An eBay auction is going for $355.. and this is all for a $12.99 toy.

Right now it's more likely for scalpers to get their hands on the goods than fans who'd just like to own it as you know, they're the fucking fans! *smh*

20. MarioFanatic64

MarioFanatic64 The guy who does things

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    I wonder if this'll be the last Australian/European Club Nintendo item. It's a scalper-proof method of distribution, and Nintendo said here that Club Nintendo Australia will continue to get new items over the next few months (even though all we've got since that announcement was the Link Between Worlds soundtrack which is already gone). That way, only actual Nintendo fans can get their hands on this special edition amiibo. Make it limit one per customer just to be safe.

I would say it would be a grand way to finish off Club Nintendo and makes up for seven years of mediocre rewards.