Super Mario All-Stars Wii ISO question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by YayMii, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Dec 20, 2010
  1. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    I posted this in Ask GBAtemp, but I've been getting dumb answers from some people who misread the question, so I'm posting it here.

I did a little research and some tinkering around with the SMAS ISO and SMW VC WAD and discovered that they are structured almost identically (save for the fact that the SMW WAD has WAD certificates and such). I want to create an SNES Virtual Console WAD using the emulator found on the SMAS ISO to gain the benefit of Wii Remote controls. I have not much experience with WAD disassembly, so I don't know how I'd go about doing this.

And if needed, here's the content5 structure for both the ISO and WAD. I labelled the only things I can identify:
    contents of content5.app

2. IxthusTiger

Member IxthusTiger Cruddy's Buddy

United States
    I'm pretty sure there's already a VC WAD with SMAS injected into it.

3. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    You're misreading the post.
    The SMAS that was released on a disc for the 25th Super Mario anniversary was practically a Virtual Console game on a disc. It supported the Wii Remote, while regular VC SNES games don't. I want to get the Wii Remote compatibility into a standard VC WAD.

4. Asch

Newcomer Asch Member

Argentina
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's not possible due to the fact that it's a Super Nintendo game... most of those games used at least 3 of the 4 face buttons... don't ask me why, but i haven't seen a single SNES VC game that can be played only with the wiimote... The fact that both games (the Virtual Console one and the 25th Anniversary) are pretty much the same... maybe it's just a port with added wiimote support... but who knows?

5. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    Why not use Crap or something to make a channel of it and load via USB

6. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Again, the disc is practically a standard SNES Virtual Console game, complete with a ROM, a seperated audio file, and a mini-emulator. The only difference is the formatting (as in the WAD has tickets, certificates, etc and the disc doesn't need them).

@Rockstar: I've been trying to use CRAP to make a channel to load it from a FAT32 SD card with no success. And the thing I'm trying to do in the OP may benefit for game injections if other games work on it.

7. Asch

Newcomer Asch Member

Argentina
    I think that what he wants to do is inject the content of the wii game onto the VC version of the game... just for the sake of playing with the wiimote only...

8. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    There isn't a VC version of this game.
    I was thinking of taking the emulator from SMAS Wii and place it into any SNES VC WAD, such as SMW. But you got the idea. I use a Gamecube controller for VC (which sucks for SNES games) so if this could be done, it would be easier to play some other games that play crappily on the GC layout.

And no, I won't use SNES9x.

9. Asch

Newcomer Asch Member

Argentina
    Again, if I'm wrong please correct me, but I think all Snes VC games are played either with a classic controller or a GC controller... therefore the presets of controllers would be the same as any other SNES VC game... classic controller or GC controller

10. gloweyjoey

Member gloweyjoey who??

United States
  11. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States
    Ok, so here is a description of all app files I could identify so far

Description of the .app files(Example is a MSX2 VC .wad)

00000000.app - meta/ banner/ icon/ sound
    00000001.app - Emulator for VC game emulation
    00000002.app - wwwlib-rvl.lz7(wwwlibrary)
    00000003.app - WiiNTLG-Regular - TrueType font collection
    00000004.app - HomeButton2 HomeButton3
    00000005.app - Game and System Roms, Banner.bin
    00000006.app - HomeButtonSe
    00000007.app - NAND Loader in VC games

Just give it a try and exchange the relevant files in 00000005.app with the desired content and see if it works, try it on your computer using dolphin(this is what I do when injecting something) and maybe(most definately) you must replace the emulator with the one used in the disc with the one in the rom, this should get the wiimote working. Not to sure about the Nand Loader, if he has some influence on using the Wiimote or not... maybe this needs replaced also but dont quote me on that.

12. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    The ROMs don't have audio? Wow. Are you sure that's what the .pcm is for?

13. DarkMatterCore

Member DarkMatterCore I like turtles.

Venezuela
    In this case, the 00000001.app file would be the main.dol on the ISO. It is possible to extract the ROM and its other data (the separated sound file) and inject them to an existing VC SNES WAD, but it's just not possible to implement the WiiMote compatibility in the channel (the main.dol loads data from a disc [and its also the one that gives the WiiMote compatibility,

14. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    If you take the ROM from the Super Mario World WAD and try it in ZSNES, there's no audio. And the .PCM format is a well-known audio format (although I couldn't get it playing on a standard PCM player).

15. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Damn, you're right. I guess the only way of doing this is to inject ROMs into the SMAS ISO.

One last question though: How do you configure CRAP to make a channel that loads from a FAT32-formatted SD card?

16. Liberty

Member Liberty GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    Grab Snes9x GX, search for the Rom and you win sir.

17. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada

18. emuman100

Member emuman100 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I am trying to figure out if what format these pcm files are in and I'm curious if there will ever be support for playing these roms with the pcm files in regular snes emulators like zsnes or snes9x. To make a VC WAD, it seems like it would be pretty simple. Extract the files from super mario world VC WAD, then extract 00000005.app and delete the rom and pcm files. Then decompress the rom and pcm files from the all-stars disc, rename them to what the file names of super mario world was, repack them into 00000005.app and repack the wad. Maybe you would have to change the title ID of the WAD, I really don't know, I never did that before. The VC emulator should play the rom with the sounds from the pcm file just fine.

I'm guessing that if this sound file is in pcm, it should sound better than the original SNES. Seems to sound really good to my ears, maybe even a bit better than in snes9xgx. If Nintendo is giving us uncompressed samples from the original recordings, then I think we should use them.

19. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    This game is a waste and ridiculous.

20. DarkMatterCore

Member DarkMatterCore I like turtles.

Venezuela
    Try using Comex NAND Loader instead of Marcan's one and the USB Loader 1.6 by WiiCrazy. Configure the parameters as you want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.