Super Mario Advance 4 gets unofficial 3DS port in new proof of concept homebrew release

sdadasddsadsadsadasdasdas.png

Why emulate Super Mario Advance 4, when you can play it natively, on your 3DS? A user named Mythical-Atlas has created a homebrew port of the game to the Nintendo 3DS, which features custom-written code to get all the audio and handling functions working correctly through CTR User Library. Right now, it only contains the first level of Super Mario Bros. 3, but the dev claims that the homebrew has "modular support for multiple different levels". They're also working on other 3DS homebrew projects, and this port will be the basis for them.

:arrow: Source

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And just like that, open_agb_firm goes right in the trash
Maybe in time, but for now, this is just 1 level, not even 1 full game lol. Very cool for sure, but we're a ways away from this replacing GBA VC titles and injects or utilizing open_agb_firm like a GBA emulator.

epicmartin7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, thinking about it, shouldn't widescreen patches for GBA games on 3DS be feasible due to TWLBg patches being possible? 🤔

Desconocido90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Impressive! The widescreen is a gamechanging feature.
I'd love to see stereoscopic 3D implemented in the future, like in the official 3D classic games.

I would also love a Switch native port, since it's another ARM device

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Maybe in time, but for now, this is just 1 level, not even 1 full game lol. Very cool for sure, but we're a ways away from this replacing GBA VC titles and injects or utilizing open_agb_firm like a GBA emulator.
How many times people should say that all 3DSes have a whole GBA inside, and that all that hardware is used in GBA VC and OPEN_AGB_FIRM? Nothing will ever be the same as original hardware, like it or not.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many times people should say that all 3DSes have a whole GBA inside, and that all that hardware is used in GBA VC and OPEN_AGB_FIRM? Nothing will ever be the same as original hardware, like it or not.
I understand how GBA works on 3DS I know it's natively playing those games. I only said that people utilize open_agb_firm like an emulator in how it lets you select your individual games on the fly like traditional emulators. I mean Nintendont and USBLoader GX aren't emulators, but we utilize them in the same way we do as emulators. (I'm not even sure you were correcting me or not, but I kinda read it like you were, and if you weren't, I apologize for my long-winded response here lol).

Reactions: BETA215

Winduss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is this really a port or just a Homebrew recreation of SMA4 and just using its sprites? because I've seen plenty of those on many platforms.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Is this really a port or just a Homebrew recreation of SMA4 and just using its sprites? because I've seen plenty of those on many platforms.
It seems to be a homebrew recreation. Physics do not match the original game accurately and a lot of mechanics still aren't working properly yet, such as raccoon suit flying. There are a lot of problems with this "port", but many of them are likely just because it's in an early state. It's not accurate in the way something like a decomp/recomp would be in the slightest, if that's what you were hoping for.

• Sad
Reactions: peteruk

Winduss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It seems to be a homebrew recreation. Physics do not match the original game accurately and a lot of mechanics still aren't working properly yet, such as raccoon suit flying. There are a lot of problems with this "port", but many of them are likely just because it's in an early state. It's not accurate in the way something like a decomp/recomp would be in the slightest, if that's what you were hoping for.
Which makes it not impressive at all. The thread makes it seem like it’s an actual port even though it’s just a simple homebrew demo with stolen assets.
This is like saying Super Mario Flash is a port of SMB.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, AI is taking our jobs!
    +1
    Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh