Homebrew Super Mario 64 Port

ital

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Messages
1,316
Trophies
0
XP
2,881
Well, the Vanilla and 3D Builds work perfect on my N3DS. Would not suggest it on the O3DS. Slowdowns. I have not tried the PuppyCam, the 60FPs, or the Mapped (Like SM64DS) Version

I've got an n3DS, how is the 3D implementation for you? I tried it out and there seems to be quite a lot of glitching in terms of draw in on the sides of the screen that isn't present in the 2D version.

For best performance build try sm64 vanilla 60 fps without antialising and 400x res.


Really? I'm pretty sure I tried the 800PX AA Vanilla and it looked and performed the best as everything was crisp and looked better than it ever had. Why dump half the res and AA for 60 FPS as this isn't a game that truly needs it.
 

Zense

GBARunner2 config: Touch touchscreen -> Press R
Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
1,880
Trophies
1
XP
3,321
Country
Italy
Really? I'm pretty sure I tried the 800PX AA Vanilla and it looked and performed the best as everything was crisp and looked better than it ever had. Why dump half the res and AA for 60 FPS as this isn't a game that truly needs it.
He specifically said it was to get the best "performance", which for some people refers to raw fps achieved.
 
  • Like
Reactions: zerofalcon

JVF

Active Member
Newcomer
Joined
Sep 16, 2016
Messages
37
Trophies
0
XP
251
Country
I have an old 3DS, and Gericom's build is the one that works better for me, although mkst's version doesn't lag in the penguin's slide or in most of the Tower of the Wing Cap (it still does when turtle surfing or using the cap in Bob-omb Battlefield). As another other user mentioned, audio may be a factor here because I also found that sudden lagging with the music in Cool Cool Mountain standing still, but I don't think this is it, because in Jolly Roger Bay, if you set the camera and you just look at the wall, the level's lag disappears. @mkst Maybe you could use that extended RAM that games like Mario Maker or Smash Bros use? Idk how all of this works though.

I've been trying different builds, both resolutions and enabling/disabling AA, but I didn't find any performance differencies. However it's still amazing and very enjoyable, I can't thank all of you enough for making this, playing the original M64 on my 3DS it's almost like a dream come true to me.
 

stranno

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2013
Messages
681
Trophies
0
XP
1,938
Country
Spain
I've been trying different builds, both resolutions and enabling/disabling AA, but I didn't find any performance differencies. However it's still amazing and very enjoyable, I can't thank all of you enough for making this, playing the original M64 on my 3DS it's almost like a dream come true to me.
Have you tried the multi-threaded updates?

Sound has been moved to syscore in the latest updates, it should give a performance boost.
 

mkst

Member
Newcomer
Joined
Sep 18, 2020
Messages
8
Trophies
0
Age
36
XP
71
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone running the latest commit on an O3DS that is having audio stutter, please reach out to me directly on the SM64 discord. If you're running Luma 10.1 or above you shouldn't have lag when using the cap/surfing turtle etc. In the code I try to use 80% of CPU1 (the one dedicated to the OS), if you press the HOME button you should find it to be *really* laggy. If the game is laggy but the 3DS home menu isn't, then its likely failing to set the 80% usage and is falling back to CPU0 (which will be laggy).

On N3DS it uses CPU2.

RE: extended RAM; it's the CPU that is holding back performance, if the sound mixer can be rewritten to take advantage of what few 'advanced' instructions the CPU has, that might help; I've not heard anything from Gericom as to whether he's had any luck running unsigned code on the DSP - I couldn't find anything on Google so I think that's probably beyond our reach.
 

JVF

Active Member
Newcomer
Joined
Sep 16, 2016
Messages
37
Trophies
0
XP
251
Country
Have you tried the multi-threaded updates?

Sound has been moved to syscore in the latest updates, it should give a performance boost.
I thought I was but looks like I didn't (sorry for the misinformation), because I just compiled the last commit and the diference is ABYSMAL; regarding what I said before, Dire Dire Docks goes perfect most of the time, Cool Cool Mountain music is fixed and wing cap and turtle surfing run full speed when there aren't many objects around (in the tower and escalating the mountain in Bob-omb Battlefield). Even at 800px with AA the game runs great for me. And yeah, @mkst, my HOME menu got very very laggy. However, the .cia I made was a little more laggy than the .3dsx, and both slowed down the menu; is there a reason for this? I just followed the tutorial for Ubuntu.
 

mkst

Member
Newcomer
Joined
Sep 18, 2020
Messages
8
Trophies
0
Age
36
XP
71
Country
United Kingdom
I thought I was but looks like I didn't (sorry for the misinformation), because I just compiled the last commit and the diference is ABYSMAL; regarding what I said before, Dire Dire Docks goes perfect most of the time, Cool Cool Mountain music is fixed and wing cap and turtle surfing run full speed when there aren't many objects around (in the tower and escalating the mountain in Bob-omb Battlefield). Even at 800px with AA the game runs great for me. And yeah, @mkst, my HOME menu got very very laggy. However, the .cia I made was a little more laggy than the .3dsx, and both slowed down the menu; is there a reason for this? I just followed the tutorial for Ubuntu.

Generally abysmal has negative connotations, but I think you're using it to mean there is a big difference between the versions?

The reason the HOME menu lags is because we're stealing CPU cycles from it (i.e. 80% of the CPU is dedicated to Super Mario's audio, leaving only 20% for the OS, normally it's 100% for the OS). I don't know enough about the low-level differences between .3dsx and .cia (3dsx launches via homebrew launcher, .cia from home screen) as to why .cia would be slower.

Would love this!

Ok, I will try to add this and report back.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Zense

mkst

Member
Newcomer
Joined
Sep 18, 2020
Messages
8
Trophies
0
Age
36
XP
71
Country
United Kingdom
Would love this!

This is done; add **DISABLE_AUDIO=1** to the arguments to disable audio, e.g. **make DISABLE_AUDIO=1**. Be sure to do a 'make clean' first if you've already compiled once.

I'd be interested in a comparison video of O3DS with audio on 2nd CPU versus O3ds with disabled audio.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 01y and stranno

JVF

Active Member
Newcomer
Joined
Sep 16, 2016
Messages
37
Trophies
0
XP
251
Country
Generally abysmal has negative connotations, but I think you're using it to mean there is a big difference between the versions?

The reason the HOME menu lags is because we're stealing CPU cycles from it (i.e. 80% of the CPU is dedicated to Super Mario's audio, leaving only 20% for the OS, normally it's 100% for the OS). I don't know enough about the low-level differences between .3dsx and .cia (3dsx launches via homebrew launcher, .cia from home screen) as to why .cia would be slower.



Ok, I will try to add this and report back.
Sorry, I was talking about a very old and slow build that I was using, not yours, hence the a̶b̶y̶s̶m̶a̶l̶ difference for me. I think the .cia is slower because of cxitool, as an user mentioned here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/cxitool-convert-3dsx-to-cia-directly.440385/page-5#post-9049326. I tried building a .cia based on the .elf file, but it doesn't take advantage of the OS CPU as the home menu runs normal (something on the .rsf is not properly set I think).

Edit: I just realised, in my language "abismal" means "colossal", I'm really sorry, it was a false friend...

Edit 2: I've been trying different stuff and using a ridiculously large value in a field called "MaxCPU" seems to match the speed I have with the .3dsx, I don't know if I'm overclocking my 3DS or what.
 
Last edited by JVF,

PkStarzone

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
May 31, 2020
Messages
47
Trophies
0
Age
23
XP
327
Country
United States
I wonder, is the save file compatable with all version of Mario 64 ports?

Like, if I have it on 3DS can I move the save file to the PC version of Mario 64?
 

kenseiden

i am overflow
Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2015
Messages
253
Trophies
0
Age
39
XP
1,397
Country
United States
I wonder, is the save file compatable with all version of Mario 64 ports?

Like, if I have it on 3DS can I move the save file to the PC version of Mario 64?

Yes, it is compatible across all versions. I transferred my sm64_save_file.bin from my N2DSXL to the PC version and the progress carried over.
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Julie_Pilgrim and they don't wear out, so you never need to replace them, they don't take up...