Super Mario 64 Port for PSOne is possible ?

Moon164

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
hqdefault.jpg

This is something that came to my mind today, as today we have the source code for Super Mario 64 in hand recently people are porting to everything platform, PSP, 3DS, Vita, Wii U, Switch etc... (I still I expect a Dreamcast and PS2 version to be honest.)

But something came to mind, recently we saw Sonic 1 for the Super Nintendo and MegaMan X for the Sega Genesis, imagine if someone had Super Mario 64 for the PS1?

Is this technically possible?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Judging by what people said about the ports to lower powered handheld devices (though devices that still far exceed the PS1) then possible is a maybe (it certainly had 3d platformers) but the amount of effort that would have to go into doing it would be insane -- lots of the code for it is built around the things the N64 excels at and the PS1 had its own strengths which were rather different to the N64.
I would almost sooner use the source code to generate a design document covering all the abilities (easier to do that with source code than by observation or twiddling RAM in an emulator), figure out how to get the levels loaded (or maybe streamed) into the PS1's RAM and make it from scratch rather than port.

I then doubt very much someone is going to do that for what is essentially a joke.

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Technically possible? maybe. Last time I checked reddit, someone said there is a compiled MSDOS port but practically unplayable. I guess the same situation could happen to a play station port. There is a PSP and presumably a Wii port in the works.

Reactions: Moon164

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Technically possible IMO.

as long as some 3d render engine is being used, and assets are converted to the PS1 format, and CD Based Loading happens for level chunks, I don't see why this couldn't be done.
We've had plenty of N64 and PS1 games being virtually the same.

Bl4aze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hqdefault.jpg

This is something that came to my mind today, as today we have the source code for Super Mario 64 in hand recently people are porting to everything platform, PSP, 3DS, Vita, Wii U, Switch etc... (I still I expect a Dreamcast and PS2 version to be honest.)

But something came to mind, recently we saw Sonic 1 for the Super Nintendo and MegaMan X for the Sega Genesis, imagine if someone had Super Mario 64 for the PS1?

Is this technically possible?

i hope this can happen that would be cool af

Reactions: Moon164

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Port needs at least 1.395 MB RAM, not including the game's code.
I'd say not possible, unless there is a RAM extension mod, then maybe there is a chance.

How close the N64 is to the PS1 does not matter, as the port completely emulates the N64 hardware for the port to actually function on other platforms.

Reactions: Panpan and Moon164

The Frenchman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Port needs at least 1.395 MB RAM, not including the game's code.
I'd say not possible, unless there is a RAM extension mod, then maybe there is a chance.

How close the N64 is to the PS1 does not matter, as the port completely emulates the N64 hardware for the port to actually function on other platforms.

does that mean it's not an actual "port" ?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
BTW there's already PS2 and Dreamcast ports being done. There's videos on Youtube of them.
Heck there's even an MS-DOS port ffs.
PSX is almost inevitable at this point, is just a matter of a bit of optimization and someone adept enough in PSX to make it happen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over