Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I noticed black areas on the edge of the screen. Usually the skybox not rendering there. This could be the effect of hitting that polygon limit perhaps? The new polygons fail to get rendered until there's space. So edges of the skybox come into view not rendered for a short time resulting in the black space I'm seeing at the edge of the screen when the view moves? I haven't noticed holes in other geometry yet. Could be luck that it's always the skybox getting impacted. Could also be an unrelated bug with the game.

Reactions: Tarmfot and banjo2

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
I noticed black areas on the edge of the screen. Usually the skybox not rendering there. This could be the effect of hitting that polygon limit perhaps? The new polygons fail to get rendered until there's space. So edges of the skybox come into view not rendered for a short time resulting in the black space I'm seeing at the edge of the screen when the view moves? I haven't noticed holes in other geometry yet. Could be luck that it's always the skybox getting impacted. Could also be an unrelated bug with the game.
The skybox issue is related to precision; the matrices the game sends have 16-bit fractionals, but the DS uses 12-bit fractionals, so 4 bits of precision are lost during the conversion. I'm actually looking into this right now, to see if there's a way to preserve some of the precision without hurting performance.

Reactions: Tarmfot and banjo2

HTV04

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, super odd issue I had, but there's a likely chance it was just caused by my weird setup.

When I saved for the first time, the game froze. The music still played, but nothing else worked. After rebooting my console and going back into the game, it seemed to save normally (the sm64_save_file.bin file was on my SD card too), and when I saved again, the game didn't freeze this time. Seems like the issue had something to do with initializing the save file.

Now, my setup is definitely weird. I had to resort to using Memory Pit since I'm playing this on a 3DS and TWiLight Menu++ doesn't support large DSi homebrew on 3DS consoles yet. Also, I'm using a 64GB SD card, which I haven't had many issues with in the past, but has been known to cause issues in general when it comes to DS(i) homebrew.

I haven't seen anyone else have this issue, so it's very likely that something I have set up is causing this (most likely my 64GB SD card) but I just wanted to put this out there.

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, super odd issue I had, but there's a likely chance it was just caused by my weird setup.

When I saved for the first time, the game froze. The music still played, but nothing else worked. After rebooting my console and going back into the game, it seemed to save normally (the sm64_save_file.bin file was on my SD card too), and when I saved again, the game didn't freeze this time. Seems like the issue had something to do with initializing the save file.

Now, my setup is definitely weird. I had to resort to using Memory Pit since I'm playing this on a 3DS and TWiLight Menu++ doesn't support large DSi homebrew on 3DS consoles yet. Also, I'm using a 64GB SD card, which I haven't had many issues with in the past, but has been known to cause issues in general when it comes to DS(i) homebrew.

I haven't seen anyone else have this issue, so it's very likely that something I have set up is causing this (most likely my 64GB SD card) but I just wanted to put this out there.
I've had this happen to me a couple of times, although it seems to be very rare. I'm using a DSi with a 32GB SD card, so it's not exclusive to your setup (Using memory pit on a 3DS is clever though, heh. I assume it works if you install the DSi camera app on a 3DS?). It's also not exclusive to the initial save; for me, during a 120 star run, it happened on the 26th star and the 101st star. Anyway, I'm not really sure what causes it, and since it's not reliable to reproduce it's pretty hard to debug.

HTV04

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had this happen to me a couple of times, although it seems to be very rare. I'm using a DSi with a 32GB SD card, so it's not exclusive to your setup (Using memory pit on a 3DS is clever though, heh. I assume it works if you install the DSi camera app on a 3DS?). It's also not exclusive to the initial save; for me, during a 120 star run, it happened on the 26th star and the 101st star. Anyway, I'm not really sure what causes it, and since it's not reliable to reproduce it's pretty hard to debug.
Huh, that's weird. I guess I can try to look into the issue and see if I can reproduce it. Glad to know it isn't because of my setup though.

Also yeah, I had to install the DSi Camera app. It works with the pit.bin payload designed for DSi Firmware versions 1.4-1.4.5 (which I assume just use the same DSi Camera app).

Last edited by HTV04,

Dre4mR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, I discovered this project yesterday and tried to execute the instructions to compile it but I couldn't. I am not a programming and compilation expert so I ask you for help. Actually, I also read that the compiled project cannot be shared but I really need it. If the project cannot be shared on a public site, can it be shared privately? I need the latest version with audio and rendering fixes. Can anyone help me please ??

Last edited by Dre4mR,
Reactions: StafkiGTN

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Ciao, ho scoperto ieri questo progetto e ho provato ad eseguire le istruzioni per compilarlo ma non ci sono riuscito. Non sono un esperto di programmazione e compilazione quindi ti chiedo aiuto. In realtà, ho anche letto che il progetto compilato non può essere condiviso ma ne ho davvero bisogno. Se il progetto non può essere condiviso su un sito pubblico, può essere condiviso privatamente? Ho bisogno dell'ultima versione con audio e correzioni di rendering. Qualcuno mi può aiutare per favore ??

can you post in English please. we are an English speaking forum.

Dre4mR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
can you post in English please. we are an English speaking forum.

Sorry, I had the automatic translator enabled and it changed the text when I typed it. :wacko:

Anyway, could someone tell me if sharing privately is an option?

Last edited by Dre4mR,

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry, I had the automatic translator enabled and it changed the text when I typed it. :wacko:

Anyway, could someone tell me if sharing privately is an option?
Legally, no. What issue were you running into when trying to compile yourself? The Docker instructions on the GitHub should be fairly straightforward, at least on Windows.

Reactions: banjo2

Dre4mR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Legally, no. What issue were you running into when trying to compile yourself? The Docker instructions on the GitHub should be fairly straightforward, at least on Windows.

It just looks like my pc doesn't support docker or something like that. If there is no other way to get it without compiling I will resign myself.

Edit: I saw someone made an unofficial patch to turn the original rom into the ds one, but it's not updated. Why don't you make an official updated patch with audio and rendering fixes?

Last edited by Dre4mR,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But I then read that the PS1 lacks a z-buffer so I would be curious as to how one gets it running on a PS1.

ps1 has polygon z sorting, which is less accurate but for most cases is workable. I'd say there were a ton of other issues that would be more of an issue.

Dre4mR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

I tried to patch the file with Floating IPS but something went wrong. It gives me this error:

upload_2021-4-24_11-44-19.png

Edit: Forget it, I downloaded the rom from another site and it worked. Thanks banjo2.

Last edited by Dre4mR,

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: banjo2 and Dre4mR

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Regarding the patch, I'm not sure how it's generated, so I didn't officially support it. Also, considering the current build converts the copyrighted assets to native DS formats at compile time, I can't imagine a simple patch would be able to produce a working build without directly containing the assets itself. The whole thing's a bit murky legality-wise... do the same copyright rules apply when the data has been converted to a different format? To be safe, I can only support compiling it yourself as a legitimate way to get a build.

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Regarding the patch, I'm not sure how it's generated, so I didn't officially support it. Also, considering the current build converts the copyrighted assets to native DS formats at compile time, I can't imagine a simple patch would be able to produce a working build without directly containing the assets itself. The whole thing's a bit murky legality-wise... do the same copyright rules apply when the data has been converted to a different format? To be safe, I can only support compiling it yourself as a legitimate way to get a build.
Do you think I should take it down, then? I understand that the patch probably contains some amount of data from the game (and probably will more as it gets updated), but then again it's literally useless without a proper ROM, and you wouldn't be able to tell if it does contain a substantial amount of code from SM64 without knowing exactly what to look for

Last edited by banjo2,

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Do you think I should take it down, then? I understand that the patch probably contains some amount of data from the game (and probably will more as it gets updated), but then again it's literally useless without a proper ROM, and you wouldn't be able to tell if it does contain a substantial amount of code from SM64 without knowing exactly what to look for
The safest option would be to take it down, but like I said I'm not entirely sure on the legality of its contents. It's probably not a huge deal; I know people have uploaded full builds to other places anyway, so if someone *really* wants a build without compiling they'll probably seek those out instead. I of course don't condone that, but there's not much I can do, and it's also not really my problem. The responsibility is on you I guess, so I'll leave the decision to you :P

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The safest option would be to take it down, but like I said I'm not entirely sure on the legality of its contents. It's probably not a huge deal; I know people have uploaded full builds to other places anyway, so if someone *really* wants a build without compiling they'll probably seek those out instead. I of course don't condone that, but there's not much I can do, and it's also not really my problem. The responsibility is on you I guess, so I'll leave the decision to you :P
I see. I think I'll take it down for now, Docker build isn't too hard to setup and the guy who was asking for what he wanted, so

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: