1. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

United States
    I noticed black areas on the edge of the screen. Usually the skybox not rendering there. This could be the effect of hitting that polygon limit perhaps? The new polygons fail to get rendered until there's space. So edges of the skybox come into view not rendered for a short time resulting in the black space I'm seeing at the edge of the screen when the view moves? I haven't noticed holes in other geometry yet. Could be luck that it's always the skybox getting impacted. Could also be an unrelated bug with the game.

Tarmfot and banjo2 like this.
  2. Hydr8gon

OP Hydr8gon Dragon Trainer
    Developer

Canada
    The skybox issue is related to precision; the matrices the game sends have 16-bit fractionals, but the DS uses 12-bit fractionals, so 4 bits of precision are lost during the conversion. I'm actually looking into this right now, to see if there's a way to preserve some of the precision without hurting performance.

Tarmfot and banjo2 like this.
  3. HTV04

HTV04 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Okay, super odd issue I had, but there's a likely chance it was just caused by my weird setup.

When I saved for the first time, the game froze. The music still played, but nothing else worked. After rebooting my console and going back into the game, it seemed to save normally (the sm64_save_file.bin file was on my SD card too), and when I saved again, the game didn't freeze this time. Seems like the issue had something to do with initializing the save file.

Now, my setup is definitely weird. I had to resort to using Memory Pit since I'm playing this on a 3DS and TWiLight Menu++ doesn't support large DSi homebrew on 3DS consoles yet. Also, I'm using a 64GB SD card, which I haven't had many issues with in the past, but has been known to cause issues in general when it comes to DS(i) homebrew.

I haven't seen anyone else have this issue, so it's very likely that something I have set up is causing this (most likely my 64GB SD card) but I just wanted to put this out there.

4. Hydr8gon

OP Hydr8gon Dragon Trainer
    Developer

Canada
    I've had this happen to me a couple of times, although it seems to be very rare. I'm using a DSi with a 32GB SD card, so it's not exclusive to your setup (Using memory pit on a 3DS is clever though, heh. I assume it works if you install the DSi camera app on a 3DS?). It's also not exclusive to the initial save; for me, during a 120 star run, it happened on the 26th star and the 101st star. Anyway, I'm not really sure what causes it, and since it's not reliable to reproduce it's pretty hard to debug.

Robz8 and banjo2 like this.
  5. HTV04

HTV04 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Huh, that's weird. I guess I can try to look into the issue and see if I can reproduce it. Glad to know it isn't because of my setup though.

Also yeah, I had to install the DSi Camera app. It works with the pit.bin payload designed for DSi Firmware versions 1.4-1.4.5 (which I assume just use the same DSi Camera app).

Last edited by HTV04, Mar 9, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - (1996), Super, Mario