aur

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
marioworld.jpg

Nintendo said:
SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD is the latest entry in the series of 3D Mario action games. Like SUPER MARIO 3D LAND before it, this game is fun and accessible to all – anyone can play!

The game supports multiplayer with up to four players – in addition to Mario, Luigi and Toad, you can now play as Princess Peach too! The fun, chaotic multiplayer mode is a new way for players to enjoy 3D Mario games, as the four players help (or hinder!) each other through the game.

This title also includes a new power-up, Cat Mario. This form brings with it new abilities, such as climbing walls and attacking enemies with your claws.
[source]

Another E3 annoucement :-)

The more I think about this, the more I'm looking forward to it. I was totally underwhelmed to begin with, but I think it has a lot of potential.

4 player multiplayer in 3D should be interesting, but the new power up? not so sure ... yet!

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
Soo, parkour for Mario, as well, huh?
3D Multi-player looks fun, but it will most certainly be too chaotic.

donaldgx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looks great, but that cat-power-up :unsure: Guess i'm victim of glorifying retro game due to nostalgia, but, with what has been shown, this new game certainly is not on par with the old ones.

aur

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was hoping for a 3D Mario on the level of 64 or Galaxy. ...not this.

i was the same at first, but on reflection (and after a couple more viewings of the vid) i think there are a lot of interesting directions they can take with this

i'm sure there'll still be a galaxy equivalent before too long

Reactions: yuyuyup

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the difference between this and Galaxy? How is it not on the same level?

Maybe holding a button to run? He did say you can control the camera like in Galaxy (which was limited, I would think multiplayer might be more forced camera.)

Initially I was bit let down too because 3D land has the stigma of a portable game compared to console Galaxy, but thinking about it a bit more it's hard to define concrete differences that mean this won't be on the same level.

The multi-player looks awesome and SMB2 characters with attributes has me pumped.

Also are we sure this will not support 3D? If 360 and PS3 can do 3D I would think the Wii U is just as capable.

WoJjTeK

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'd rather consider it a superior sequel to the SM3DL than a copy-paste. If you look closely you can find a lot of completely new stuff , like riding on that snake ( forgot the name ) etc. One thing that 3D Land lacked was a variety of environments , I hope we'll see a lot more in that one. SMW-like world map would also be cool. I'm also hoping that it's just the first of 3d mario games for Wii U, because I'm waiting for sth big, and I'm not sure if this game is what I'm waiting for.

B-Blue

slut
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Antarctica
I was watching the Japanese stream when they announce this. I thought it was for the 3DS.
I was really disappointed to find out it was for Wii U. What happened to the original Mario games?

aur

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If I had to guess, this has been rushed into production faster than Limbaugh.

Just something to keep the system going while the actual 3D installment is in the pipes.

allegedly:
IGN said:
when Super Mario 3D Land was in development, they believed a multiplayer element would be a fantastic addition to that style of game. Though the concept didn't make it into that 3DS game, they believed the power of Wii U would allow them to fully realize those mechanics.

Despite having its roots in 3D Land, Hayashida and Koizumi stressed that they are drawing from all corners of Mario's action genre legacy. Bringing Princess Peach's floating ability back from the USA version of Super Mario Bros. 2 was a part of this, but so are the more eccentric and wild levels designs from the Galaxy. And there are plenty of smaller references too, such as the collectible green stars that Galaxy first introduced.

[source]

but I'm not entirely convinced

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Watching the IGN level video I'm actually preatty excited about this. While obviously inspired by 3d land it looks a lot better and the levels are more expansive. Plus you get to play as Peach with her SMB2 abilities. I've been waiting for that for a long time. Instant buy for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup