Super Mario 3D land only 3ds game that 3d actually WORKS?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by funnystory, Mar 28, 2016.

1. funnystory
    OP

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    All the other games have lackluster 3d effect that gives you headaches. How come this is the only game that seems to do 3d right?

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Well, it's subjective... I also find it good in New Leaf, a bit less in Xenoblade where pixel-sized details make it harder on the eyes, or in NSMB2 where it only reduces viewing angle, lol

3. dragon12

dragon12 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2012
    Brazil
    Mario Kart 7, TLoZ: a link between worlds that I can remember. But yeah, Super Mario 3D Land was made with the 3DS 3D capability in mind.

4. Waywatcher

Waywatcher Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2015
    This is why I chose to buy a used 2DS for $60...

5. Shaswati

Shaswati GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2016
    India
    LKO
    You can get a new one for 70$ can't you?

Dartz150 and EarlAB like this.
  6. Noelemahc

Noelemahc GBAtemp Regular

Jan 28, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Haaaave you played Monster Hunter? Persona Q? Gundam 3D Battle? Ghost Recon Shadow Wars? Shovel Knight? Xeodrifter? They all have functional 3D that matters.

If you get headaches from the 3D mode, maybe you should visit an eye doctor and check whether you need glasses - your eyes having different focal lengths (or whatever that's called, when you need different lenses for your eyes) may cause eye discomfort and migraines since your brain is hard at work trying to compensate for the mismatch between the eyes.

7. funnystory
    OP

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    I have 20 20 vision.....

8. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I had a very good experience with Zelda a Link Between Worlds

Dartz150 likes this.
  9. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Shiny Mew!

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    3D in Pokèmon battles on O3DS are horrible, it drops in FPS so badly.

10. CheatFreak47

CheatFreak47 Complex Donut

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I also have 20-20 vision and I can see the 3D effect in all my game's fine. So maybe you're not as 20-20 as you think you are.
    When was the last time you got your eye's checked? Perhaps you're holding the unit too close to your face, that's typically the problem I find.
    I find that 1.5 feet or about 45cm is about where the sweet spot is.

Weather or not the 3D is used in a creative way has no technical impact on weather or not the 3D works or not either.
    The 3D works fine objectively in almost all games, with rare slight hiccups where there's a steep contrast of white on black, because the white is so bright it bleeds through the parallax barrier causing minor distortion. (Potentially can cause your eyes to defocus.

Noelemahc likes this.
  11. funnystory
    OP

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    Alright I don't need you pestering me I don't like the 3d I am 20 20 vision got checked last week. I don't care what your robotic self has to say,I already told you I don't like 3D so that is final. An opinion is an opinion.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That one had good 3d too

12. Noelemahc

Noelemahc GBAtemp Regular

Jan 28, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Then as the other poster suggested, maybe you're holding it wrong? I have astigmatism on top of mismatched eyes, so using a PC without glasses is migraine-inducing, and I don't have any problems with 3DS 3D mode %]

13. funnystory
    OP

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    I can see the 3ds fine,I just don't like it lol. Why do I have to like it?

14. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    I don't have any problem with any 3D personally, and for most games I feel it lacking when it's not there.

Kirby Triple Deluxe looks great in 3D, as does Zelda ALBW.

Pushmo not only has a nice 3D effect, but turning it off makes most levels incomprehensible.

15. MarioFanatic64

MarioFanatic64 The guy who does things

Sep 13, 2009
    Kid Icarus Uprising has great 3D imo.

gamefan5, tatumanu and Dartz150 like this.
  16. Scarlet

Scarlet Rydeen

GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Right
    How has nobody mentioned Nintendogs+Cats? :o It's like looking through a freaking window. I was so impressed at launch :') Ended up playing it for six hours straight with 3D and ended with one hell of a headache, but damn I don't regret it.

Dartz150 likes this.
  17. FirstLady

FirstLady GBAtemp Regular

May 25, 2015
    United States
    I don't even use the 3D on the 3DS. I find normal 2D clearer and more enjoyable, unless I'm watching a 3D movie on a big screen, now that's fun.

18. k3rizz3k

k3rizz3k GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2008
    United States
    Or it could be that some people can't see the 3D, it's been proven. Also, perfect eyesight means nothing, as some people still get headaches with 3D, it's just the nature of the technology.

funnystory and pbanj like this.
  19. pbanj

pbanj The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    in a ziploc
    Yup, my headaches stopped after I got the new 3ds, It does the 3d so much better. The 3d on the o3ds is pretty bad, you have to hold it just right.

20. CheatFreak47

CheatFreak47 Complex Donut

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Well don't title your thread with a clickbaity title like:
    "Super Mario 3D land only 3ds game that 3d actually WORKS?"
    and expect to not be criticized for your opinion that you're presenting as a fact.

I personally love the 3D effect in almost everything I've played that has it, and I rarely turn it off, but you don't see me making threads called:
    "All 3DS games use the 3D Effect PERFECTLY?"
    and there in the thread say "Anyone who disagrees with me is wrong because I'm so far up my own ass I'm blinded by my own shit."

GBATemp is a forum, not an echo chamber of your own opinions.

Anyhow, back to the topic directly, I really do love the 3D effect and the New 3DS just makes it even better, that sweetspot is what most people seem to complain about, and the New 3DS really hits that nail on the head. 3D land is one of the better games to use the 3D Effect, but I also enjoy it greatly in Majora's Mask 3D, loved it in Mario & Donkey Kong: Mini's on the Move, and more recently I've been enjoying it in Kirby Triple Deluxe. I'm quite excited for Kirby Planet Robobot.

gamefan5, porkiewpyne and Maximilious like this.