Super-Injunctions Vs The Internet

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Miss Panda, May 9, 2011.

May 9, 2011
  1. Miss Panda
    OP

Member Miss Panda GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Just to say first I'm not naming or alluding to the names of individuals concerned nor will I link to the twitter account (don't PM me). It is still there and EASY to find.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/A..._Of_Celebrities
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/A...201105215988052
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13330409
    Last night a twitter account published the names of people allegedly involved in 6 super-injunctions. These injunctions have been the cause of much media discussion in recent weeks. Particularly one where the man took out the injunction protecting his privacy but not the privacy of the woman concerned. Her name is all over the press.

So my question is what do you think, is this as many media commentators are saying, an abuse of the court system by the very richest in society which allows them to buy rights the rest of us don't have? And the question many media commentators are asking now is can they really prosecute some random on the internet for discussing gossip.

What is more scary still is this
    Source : http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/may/0...ils-injunctions

To those not in Britain read the spoiler below (and no it doesn't contain the names)

Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Interesting- you will hear not argument from me against a statement along the lines of the libel and slander laws are in serious need of an overhaul (as are many laws that were forged before the communications and tech boom- this is where it might get interesting if we tried to rank them of what order things need to be sorted in)

There have been some interesting workarounds as well- see things like trademarking a group name (notably groups like the Hell's angels)

Equally I will quite happily hear a debate on what is in the public interest (a pseudo legal term) vs the interest of (some) members of the public (pandering to those that like to gawk at ultimately irrelevant things) but I can see resulting things have no easy way to draw a line in the sand.

I know it was more of a US thing but certain courts have ruled in various directions on matters of what is and is not news media (protections of sources- Apple had a case a couple of years back) which could also throw a wrench into things and maybe even go some way to pushing the internet as a more viable source of news.

Things I am reminded of at this point

D-notice ("national security" concept- not sure if they are still available or there is a successor)

The IRA era treatment of Sinn Fein politicos (dubbing them on TV)

I can equally get to it being a "laws for the rich" thing which cuts to the very heart of UK law and a lot of recent and not so recent history (it is called common law for a reason).

3. Miss Panda
    OP

United Kingdom
    That is the thing though this is like legislation through the back door. Because these cases are decided based on a judges whim not on the basis of legislation. We don't have a privacy law so they cherry pick from the human rights act. Depending on whos side the judge is on, public or individual. Certainly most of the injunctions appear to be issued to the vacuous to prevent their vacuous (usually sexual) shenanigans being found out. It is the principle of the thing, Zlebs misusing the courts. If they want to fight it out in heat magazine fine but keep their nonsense out of the courts.

They are now saying that twitter can be sued despite being a US based company. [​IMG] Yeah good luck with that, idiots.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/twit...s-answered.html

I think the internet will be the final downfall for this stupidity. Short of shutting it down what can they do.

Re:Dubbing SinnFein that was like something out of Monty Python. British legal stupidity at its very finest.

D-Notices
    I remember them. There was one issued during the Soham Investigation I think only for 24hrs or so. They call them DA notices now apparently, I just googled. [​IMG] But they are still voluntary and generally only used for a decent reason. So where the press releasing certain info about a current missing child case could put the child at risk. Or national security. They don't seem to be misused, I suppose their voluntary nature means that if the government did try to misuse them then the press would say, get stuffed.

4. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    You might want to mention in the spoiler that your not actually meant to even mention the injunction exists, hence the super in the name.

But TBH the current cases don't look to matter too much. I don't care if some celebs or footy players screw around. Now if it was an MP who campaigns as a family man, then it would be important, and if this "making the law up to suit the persons wallet" shit continues we may never find out if it does.

Just used that MP analogy 'cause it fits with the known and rumoured super-injunctions in the current batch. I could see these being well abused by big business given the chance.

5. Miss Panda
    OP

United Kingdom
    I can only say I agree with every word and yeah forgot to mention that they can't say the name of a person and say that a super injunction about them even exists. Thanks for that [​IMG]

EDIT: On the upside putting super injunction into twitter brings up some stuff of national importance.
    The LibDems have apparently taken out a super injunction that prevents the election results being made public.
    Jack Dee is denying he took out an S-J to prevent photos of him eating at Harvester being made public.
    And a certain footballer is suing his legal team because 'his name' Injunction' becomes first autofill option on Google.

PS. Offtopic/ I did write a reply to you in the cannibal thread, but as is usual for me it was an essay and a half so I never dared post it. [​IMG]