Gaming Super Game Boy VC Support

RE4zombie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you think that the 3DS Virtual Console will support Super Game Boy enhancements for Game Boy games? I think it will since the idea of playing in a black and white palette is so arcane to today's gamers. It would be nice to play Metroid II in color on the 3DS, especially. What Super Game Boy games would you like to see on the service?

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well the 3DS will have Virtual Console with GameBoy game so I guess they will offer the version with the most colours for each game. Maybe they add some colour to the monochrome games.
Btw GameBoy Colour games have more colours than Super GameBoy games.
gbc.png

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
M[u said:
ddy]
Well the 3DS will have Virtual Console with GameBoy game so I guess they will offer the version with the most colours for each game. Maybe they add some colour to the monochrome games.
gbc.png

Is that really news? All the super gameboy did was fill in the colors with a custom palette where each value of the monochrome hues have been assigned a color. Which is exactly what you could do when playing these old GB games on a GBC or GBA by holding down different buttons when the Nintendo logo came down.

I'm guessing the 3DS will offer the different palette feature as its been offered on all GB players since the original (gbc, gba, super gameboy, gameboy player).

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see them including a menu so you can change them how you wish. An option to play with original monochrome, black and white as well as SGB would be good.

As for games, Donkey Kong '94 is one of those Nintendo used to show the Super Gameboy off. I can see them even letting you have a border just for the sake of it though it would just be there for a novelty factor.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
I just hope they force us to use a digital touch screen interface in lieu of buttons.

Science!
I'd rather they just have needles out of the 3DS giving me pain for using d-pad then use touch screen.

RE4zombie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
duffmmann said:
M[u said:
ddy]
gbc.png

Is that really news? All the super gameboy did was fill in the colors with a custom palette where each value of the monochrome hues have been assigned a color. Which is exactly what you could do when playing these old GB games on a GBC or GBA by holding down different buttons when the Nintendo logo came down.

I'm guessing the 3DS will offer the different palette feature as its been offered on all GB players since the original (gbc, gba, super gameboy, gameboy player).
Well, they definitely won't waste the money to fill in colors to the amount GBC games had, so I think using the Super Gameboy option is more likely because it will be cheaper and almost as effective.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Games designed for the Super Gameboy DID have more colors... The original gameboy was 4 'color' monochrome (IE: White, black, light grey, dark grey). Super Gameboy games could have up to 16 at a time with a swappable palette. On top of that, games also contained a custom SGB border for around the game which was generally also 16 color.

The gameboy color could not read (or just plain ignored) the super gameboy color palettes if they contained one and instead forced a 4 color palette as per regular GB games... Kind of stupid but that's how nintendo rolled back then.

Anyways, I imagine nintendo will likely go the same route it went with the GBC, that is if it's a GBC game it will have full color privledges (GBC had 3 color modes depending on whether a game was made for GB, GB compatible, or GBC only) but otherwise will default to GB "fill in the Black and white with color" fill and 4 color limit.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
RE4zombie said:
I think using the Super Gameboy option is more likely because it will be cheaper and almost as effective.

Waste money? Considering Nintendo's method for Virtual Console in the past has been emulation, I don't really see why it'd be such a financial issue.
unsure.gif

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
This is really cool and all, but I would really like to see the original frames that were included on the carts.

I would also like to see a feature to "hide" the frame and go fullscreen as wanted/needed.

Also, does anyone know if GBA games will get VC releases?

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
This is really cool and all, but I would really like to see the original frames that were included on the carts.

I would also like to see a feature to "hide" the frame and go fullscreen as wanted/needed.

x2

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
TwinRetro said:
Rydian said:
TwinRetro said:
Nope.

The original announcement was a mistranslation.

This would be an extremely stupid move for Nintendo, if this is true.
It's easily powerful enough for GBA, I'd wager it'll get there eventually, even if it's not supported at launch.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Midna said:
TwinRetro said:
Rydian said:
TwinRetro said:
Nope.

The original announcement was a mistranslation.

This would be an extremely stupid move for Nintendo, if this is true.
It's easily powerful enough for GBA, I'd wager it'll get there eventually, even if it's not supported at launch.

My point is though, they would move more units...WAY more units at launch if GBA support were there from the beginning.

Edit: Oh, who am I kidding...we may see a Wii Syndrome here where the units will be sold out everywhere for 2-3 years straight. Even without GBA VC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol