Hacking super card lite - doesnt require 60x micro?

seam1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
many reports of people simply using the new supercard micro sc software, and having it fix the castlevania problem as well as other slowdowns with a regular sd card(non ultra). can any of you all confirm that patching castlevania ds(for example) with the NEW software and using a NON ultra micro card, enables it to run full speed without slowdown? ive read many reports in the forums(gbatemp forums and other sites) as well as talked to people on mirc who have confirmed. apparently the new software helps a lot, and it really doesnt have a whole lot to do with whether or not its an ultra micro or not. let me know.

seam

cornaljoe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No the fixes work only for the microSD version. It uses a faster chip than the others. And yes a vanilla Sandisk(rated 12x) works flawlessly with the SCL.

seam1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok, so im ASSUMING you have an sc lite then, correct? if so. please tell me this. does the "vanilla" 12x run the castelvania vid flawless(not that it even matters, but its the benchmark as we all know), and ALSO ive read from like 2 different people, that yoshis island gba, if patched with the new software DOES actually run fine without noticable slowdown... is this true? not that its all that important. its just that people need to know if there is infact any speed difference between the 12x and 60x micro cards, as far as the sc lite is concerned. and i myself as well as others im sure would appreciate any input current sc lite owners have about this. thanks again.

bobbyblunt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm, you say the vailla sandisk has a 12x speed, but according to this page the normal 1GB Sandisk micro sd has a read speed of 8,33MB/s, that's about 55x!
http://www.valuemedia.co.uk/Micro_sd.htm

from that same site
QUOTEWe have always done speed testing so we can give honest advice, we have seen 20x cards become 40x and one brand launch high speed cards which were exactly the same as the standard ones just more expensive, ironically in that instance the supposed standard card that was introduced was actually faster.

It's like when you get a lesser graphics card, and the only difference from the top model is that some pipes have been disabled. soldering iron out, and you have a top card. cheaper to produce in the long run.

SO maybe a 12x micro-SD would run badly. We can't really know as the standard micro-SD are definately not 12x anymore.
Also speed ratings (ie 12x) say nothing about the access time of the card.

seam1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok so i just ordered my ds lite, and a supercard lite. i havent ordered a micro card yet cus i STILL havent gotten hardly any feedback about it. im either getting a sandisk 1gig stick, or a sandisk 1gig ULTRA II stick. i really dont want to have to pay more for the ultra if theres no need. people are apparently having no problems with castlevania and tony hawk with the NON ultra cards. can any of you guys who have the sc lite and NON ultra micro cards give me some input and opinions on it before i go ahead and buy my 1gig micro sd??? any input is appreciated. thanks in advance.

seam

compi_

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Tomorrow or the day after tomorrow my SCL and 1GB normal sandisk micro sd will arrive and I will do extensive testing regarding slowdowns and such
smile.gif

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would always suggest getting he SanDisk Ultra II microSD with the 60X as you can always be safe and have the extra bandwidth as overhead. Why risk lag on hte newer upcoming games when you can pay a few bucks more and get an Ultra card? Sneef over at scdev.org said with a regular SanDisk 12X microSD he had just a bit of lag with the Castlevania demo. With the 60X Ultra is ran perfect so its really up to you. I also have a frind who tested with both the regular Sandisk and the Ultra and the regular had slight lag in the Castlevania movie and a little going in and out of buildings in Animal Crossing. The 60X ultra corrected the problem with both things.

FifthE1ement

vinsm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I would always suggest getting he SanDisk Ultra II microSD with the 60X as you can always be safe and have the extra bandwidth as overhead. Why risk lag on hte newer upcoming games when you can pay a few bucks more and get an Ultra card? Sneef over at scdev.org said with a regular SanDisk 12X microSD he had just a bit of lag with the Castlevania demo. With the 60X Ultra is ran perfect so its really up to you. I also have a frind who tested with both the regular Sandisk and the Ultra and the regular had slight lag in the Castlevania movie and a little going in and out of buildings in Animal Crossing. The 60X ultra corrected the problem with both things.

FifthE1ement

Listen to FifthE1ement... he's the gospel on all things NDSL & SCL...
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

But seriously, I to will have one in the next couple of days with the vanilla TF from realhotstuff so will chime in again then.

compi_

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I CAN assure you that a normal cheap Sandisk micro SD IS good enough! It plays the Castlevania intro WITHOUT lag, it doesn't have any lag with crossfading music in Tony Hawk and it also doesn't lag in AC:WW!!! No reason to waste money on high speed micro sd! I will post a review later this day.

bobbyblunt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

FifthE1ement

My feelings exactly. If any game needs a bit of extra help, it's there.
They don't cost that much more, and the performance all round will be better, for example when transfering files to it from PC.
And what if you buy a 2g card in the future and want to use the 1g in another device?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol