Englishsubs4all

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2vrv56v.png

How many failed attempts have there been to translate this game over the past eight years or so? At least three that I know of. That legacy of failure ends today. I present to you an English patch for Summon Night X ~Tears Crown~ that has 99% of the text translated. Due to limitations in the tool I used to translate the game, there are some untranslated strings and other limitations, which I'll detail below.

Game Features

◆Choose Your Protagonist!

Choose from Dillan, a young man who betrays his home country to fight for the kingdom that held him hostage for 10 years, or Farah, the princess of a kingdom besieged by war. The overall story is the same no matter who you choose, but there are some events where the two protagonists go their separate ways, which gives you a slightly different experience based on your choice.

◆Fight With Brave!

At the beginning of most boss battles and some random encounters, you'll be presented with a brave order, such as "Win without recovering HP" or "Win without using items." Meet the condition, and you'll earn extra items or money at the end of the battle.

◆Parliament Quests!

About a third of the way through the game, you'll be given the opportunity to choose three ministers to present sidequest proposals, on which the Kingdom's newly-established parliament, made up of your party members, vote. For each sidequest proposal, you'll be asked three questions, which influence how your party members vote. If a majority of your party members approve of the proposal, you can do the sidequest. If they don't, the chance to do that sidequest is lost forever.

What's Translated

▶ All the story text
▶ Most of the menu text (see below)

What's Not Translated

▶ Graphical text (there's no essential graphical text in this game)
▶ The window for summon skills' type/element/range (get this from the skill descriptions)
▶ The opening text crawl (translated below)
▶ Voice lines in the voice theater

Limitations

▶ Choice strings in the parliament events are limited to 18 characters, so some of the translations aren't as expressive as I might like. Some barely make sense.

I'll contact DarthNemesis, the person who created the SummonTransX inserter tool I used to translate the game to see if some of these technical limitations can be overcome, but be aware that he created the tool in 2009, so it's likely he's moved on to other things.

Got Bugs?

This is a beta version, so there are bound to be bugs. If you find a bug, feel free to report it, but please tell me exactly what you were doing when you encountered the bug, and provide screenshots if possible. That makes it easier to find and fix the problem. The most likely bugs you'll encounter are typos and freezes due to string length violations.

* Elnadita and Akurin's sidequests aren't tested, so if you're brave, try choosing them as ministers.

Opening Text Crawl Translation

Runeheim Calendar: 1162

Two great countries, The Kingdom of Celestia and the Deltiana Empire, have both been devastated by a conflict known as the "War of Summons," which claimed the lives of both the countries' leaders.

Nobis, the new King of the Celestia Kingdom and Glocken, new Emperor of the Delitana Empire, sign a cease-fire agreement to avoid further casualties and weakening of their countries' infrastructure.

To ensure compliance with the cease-fire, the two leaders further agree to send their sons to the other country as hostages.

Game Video

Patch:

This is a beta patch. You may experience game freezes or other adverse events. You have been warned.

Summon Night X English β Version 0.951

Last edited by Englishsubs4all,

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Awesome!!!!

I'll check it out throughly. Hopefully darthnemesis will help lift the text limitations!

wasn't there a topic for that already ?

I think there was, yeah. I was supposed to help with the graphic translation, though I totally forgot about it. I can give it a try again if you want, @Englishsubs4all .

Last edited by Pablitox,

Englishsubs4all

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wasn't there a topic for that already ?

That's what I was talking about with the other failed projects. There are at least 3 other topics about this game, but it seems like the custom here is to start your own thread for your prject, even if other threads for the same game already exist.

Awesome!!!!

I'll check it out throughly. Hopefully darthnemesis will help lift the text limitations!

I think there was, yeah. I was supposed to help with the graphic translation, though I totally forgot about it. I can give it a try again if you want, @Englishsubs4all .

Making the graphical text English would definitely help. I figured there might be more motivation to fix the loose ends once there was a proven finished translation out.

Blobbio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Holy crap, I never thought I'd see the day. Congrats!!! I'm sure people on the other team/s can lend you their translated graphics (as far as I know, all that stuff has already been done, so it wouldn't make sense to redo it all).

I will be beta testing this for you and reporting bugs ASAP!

Last edited by Blobbio,
Reactions: Pablitox

Blobbio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just to let you know, the game completely froze during a battle in Farlight Temple, with the music freezing too (I couldn't even soft-reset).

There was a big ball of light 'gimmick' thing on the top screen, which was just about to explode. See the attached picture.
It's the part after Sotina opens up the underground passageway and they all go into the other room of the temple.

Edit: it happened again! Agh. Same area, same big 'sphere of light' gimmick, about to explode. That's probably what's causing it...

Also I encountered a couple minor typos, but forgot to note down where they were. Sorry, I know that's not the most helpful, but will try to note down any future ones.

Overall, I'm impressed at the script so far, since everything seems clear and easy to understand. Great job.

Attachments

• RenderedContent-F7874E27-7427-4D26-BAAD-1AF777465174.JPG
    RenderedContent-F7874E27-7427-4D26-BAAD-1AF777465174.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 782
Last edited by Blobbio,

Zozoel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
....And it's also (not surprisingly) froze at emulators, well this is clearly an issue.

(But I can still save scumming my way though, recently passed the dungeon)

Last edited by Zozoel,
Reactions: Blobbio

Blobbio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I managed to get past the dungeon too, by running or one-shotting everything as soon as I came across that big ball of light...

On another note, I may be wrong but Elnadita's surname should be Krebatink right? That's what I hear in the Japanese voice, anyway. I've seen it misspelled a few times (see screenshots)

Attachments

• RenderedContent-E3951A41-9B82-4349-874D-0849A8E2182E.JPG
    RenderedContent-E3951A41-9B82-4349-874D-0849A8E2182E.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 750
  • RenderedContent-F5EC7F20-1229-4046-8192-88D0E455FF2F.JPG
    RenderedContent-F5EC7F20-1229-4046-8192-88D0E455FF2F.JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 671
  • RenderedContent-CE3B85C3-4DFD-4869-846C-D66266A2FE0C.JPG
    RenderedContent-CE3B85C3-4DFD-4869-846C-D66266A2FE0C.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 668

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
That's what I was talking about with the other failed projects. There are at least 3 other topics about this game, but it seems like the custom here is to start your own thread for your prject, even if other threads for the same game already exist.

Making the graphical text English would definitely help. I figured there might be more motivation to fix the loose ends once there was a proven finished translation out.
Indeed! It's a very nice incentive. Still I'm in a rough spot so I won't be able to help right now. Still, I'll sent you via PM all the info I could find out about the graphic files. Figured it could be of use to either you or whoever wanted to translate the graphics.

Blobbio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Couple other minor typos I came across ('fiancee', 'battle encyclopedia' (an item), some stats text left in Japanese)
Also, one part that looks a bit squished (takes up all 5 lines) - not really a typo, but just me being nitpicky as it looks a bit weird to me

IMG_7131.JPG IMG_7513.JPG IMG_4392.JPG IMG_7134.JPG

Really enjoying the game (and translation) so far. Such an addictive, back-to-basics RPG, I love it.

I found and fixed the bug with the sphere of light. The message that's supposed to show when it goes off is too long.

I'll confirm Elnadita's surname when I get home from work.
Nice!

Last edited by Blobbio,

Englishsubs4all

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any more bug reports? I want to release a new patch on Sunday, so I'd like to fix any more freezes people have encountered by then.

Couple other minor typos I came across ('fiancee', 'battle encyclopedia' (an item), some stats text left in Japanese)

The skill attribute text left in Japanese is a technical problem with the inserter. It extracts the text, but doesn't insert the translated text when I repack the ROM.

Blobbio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I remembered a slightly confusing text option when Garlitt asks you about "gimmicks" for the very first time. I ended up picking the wrong option because it wasn't clear which one meant "yes, I want to hear about them". Sorry, it was a while ago so I don't have a screenshot, but hope that makes sense.

Also, when clicking on the 'Memory Stone' there is a very slight typo in the description for Parliament Quests ('dicussed' not discussed)

I feel so petty for bringing that up, lol. But I honestly haven't seen any other bugs or typos, and I've been playing for over 20 hours now. Just finished picking my three parliament ministers and doing the 'Strange Sounds' quest.

The skill attribute text left in Japanese is a technical problem with the inserter. It extracts the text, but doesn't insert the translated text when I repack the ROM.

Ah okay, makes sense. Honestly, even if it doesn't get fixed, it's not that vital.

Last edited by Blobbio,

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
question, the introduction text weren't translated because you didn't find it ?
Because if you're using Darth Nemesis tool for the text file I guess he didn't cover that one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Snow days $25 on steam may grab it