Summon Night Twin Age (U) undub

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by illithid, Jun 5, 2008.

Jun 5, 2008
  1. illithid
    OP

Newcomer illithid Advanced Member

Indonesia
    How to undub Summon Night Twin Age (if you don't already know)

Required files:
    1. DSLazy
    2. Summon Night Twin Age - USA version
    3. Summon Night Twin Age - Japan version

Unpack both NDS files, and replace 'sound.sdat' in folder 'data/dat' from Japan version to USA version, than pack it again

2. lilaznkilla

Member lilaznkilla GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    don't you mean grab the sound.sdat file from the (J) rom and put it in the (U) rom?

3. cris92x

Member cris92x GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Why are there so many threads of undubbing...and most of them work the same, replace one file with another not that exciting, why undub for summon night twin age? They barely talk

4. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I'll also never understand it. If you can understand Japanese enough to hear it and know what they're saying, you should know how to read it (Most people learn reading first), so for that just play the Japanese version God...

If you're gonna undub or whatever the hell you wanna call it, you don't need to make threads for it, especially not for specific games, considering the amount of threads on it here, and the fact that the programs/files are widely available so you don't need to ask for it.

5. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    What often happens when Japanese animes and games get dubbed is that the English dub is rubbish. Many of the English voice actors/actresses cannot convey the emotion and can't get the characters right, while the original Japanese voices are generally done much better. Even with good dubs some people prefer the original voice acting cause it sounds more "authentic". That's why many people prefer subtitled anime over dubbed anime.

In any case, I agree that there shouldn't be new threads for every single undubbing. There should just be one thread that list which games can be undubbed and which files need to be replaced.

6. Pyrofyr

United States
    I understand that for anime, actually the reasoning there makes quite some sense, because you're sitting down and just watching something, so reading is no big deal.
    Most people don't watch subbed anime for the 'authenication' but more so that they don't associate well-done animes as crappy because of bad voice actors. In the end having to read and having a generic sound of what the person is 'supposed' to sound like takes the bread/butter over something that sounds horridly off and no alternative.

But when you already have both reading and listening, there really is no point to do it besides not wanting to listen to badly done voice actors, however games don't suffer this as often as anime so the reasoning behind so many people doing it is beyond me. Not only that but this game supposedly doesn't have many lines as well, so yeah....

7. powertex

Newcomer powertex Member

United States
    oy why do we gotta give him a hard time? there are people who are interested in doing this sort of stuff. just leave the thread alone if it's something you're not interested in doing.

8. Pyrofyr

United States
    I'm just saying, there are a few threads started very recently about undubs in general, and all he posted was all of 4 lines about how you generally undub anything, without anything specific to the game, despite the thread being specific.

I however, am indeed done with this thread now.

9. CyborGamer

Member CyborGamer GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I'd just like to say that learning to listen and learning to read is quite different when it comes to Japanese. What with over hundreds of different kanjis, it's not as simple as learning 26 alphabets. If you don't know that word, it's usually impossible to look it up unless it actually provides hiragana (a sort of equivalent of alphabet in English) for people unable to recognize the word. I've still yet learned to read a full manga, however am able to listen to an entire anime without subtitles, looking through the dictionary time to time.

10. bunnybreaker

Member bunnybreaker GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I haven't started playing this yet (still need to finish The World Ends With You), but I also generally prefer my games with Japanese voice acting over the English/American equivilents.

So, can anyone confirm whether or not undubbing Summon Night will ruin any important cutscenes that you would want to be able to understand? If it's just in game shouting and stuff then that's great, and I shall undub away.

11. miruki

Member miruki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    There are indeed some scenes that have no subtitles and longer sentences that some will not understand, like when you enter new areas the main character says some stuff about the weather or that they are worried etc.

And after every chapter and night event one of the characters says some short sentence that has no subs, you can always load the english dubbed rom and listen to everything every character said in the Sound Test menu though.

12. bunnybreaker

Member bunnybreaker GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Thanx, just the info I was after [​IMG]