Summer of Sequels

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Hyro-Sama, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Hyro-Sama
    OP

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth

Man, this summer is looking fucking great for movies! I could shoot myself! Seriously.

Foxi4 and Gahars like this.
  2. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    "Summer of Sequels" is every summer really.

3. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    All sounds good to me. A lot of people downing the TMNT movie but I think it looks pretty cool.

4. Sefi

Sefi GBAtemp Fan

Jun 2, 2005
    There are non-sequel/prequels out there too, even if it seems every year that's all that's in theaters for the entire summer. The Giver movie looks promising. Yes, it's based on that book many of you probably read in school. Apparently part of it was in fact filmed in black and white, even though the trailer would have you think otherwise since it's all color.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Better is a lot of sequels seem to be working up towards being good films where their originals might have been a bit suspect. I will probably not be watching them until DVD season anyway (even if the cinema model up and died, and one can only hope, it would still be the case for this run).

6. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    They've got that summertime, summertime sadness...

I saw the trailer during The Winter Soldier and I have to say... it looked pretty awful. The book itself was just sort of alright (babby's first dystopia), and it's yet another young adult fiction book getting the movie-adaptation rush job. The Hunger Games, Ender's Game, all those Twilight ripoffs, Twilight itself... it's not exactly in esteemed company.

7. Hyro-Sama
    OP

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    And Divergent. That movie was horrible. One of the most soulless films of 2014.

8. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    With a premise like the "world divided based on personality", what else could it be other than an angsty dystopian teen movie?

9. Hyro-Sama
    OP

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth

I should have known better. Not even sure if I'm going to see The Mockingjay later this year now. I'm sick of this young adult novel phenomenon and their half-assed films.

10. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    :O <---- That was my face when i saw/heard about the CGI substitute for Paul Walker in FAF7

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Just as a side note, the bottom of the barrel is yet to be reached. If you think this year's reboots and sequels are bad, just you wait for Goonies 2.

12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I might have to see this Divergent film. For reasons unknown I ended up reading the book series without any background going into it..... I have not read something that screamed allegory so hard since I decided to do all things 1984 but I did not mind it in the end, having not done US high school I probably missed a lot. On the film though things seem remarkably polar, granted that is polar between kill it with fire and "not the worst".