Summer Games Done Quick 2020 postponed, Corona Relief event announced

Summer Games Done Quick 2020 cover.jpg

Event delays have become inevitable at this point, and the latest gathering to fall victim to COVID-19 related delays is this year's Summer Games Done Quick. SGDQ 2020 has been pushed back from this June and will now take place from August 16-23, 2020. Any games scheduled for the original event will be cancelled, with the new game speedrun events to be announced on June 6th, following a submission period that will last from April 29th to May 9th. For those that still want some Games Done Quick action, a new event will be held soon called Corona Relief Done Quick, which will run from April 17-19. It'll be online-only, and will see all donations go to Direct Relief, a nonprofit organization that helps those in poverty that are affected by emergency medical situations.

Our response to the COVID-19 Situation
The outbreak of the Coronavirus Disease, also known as COVID-19, has had a large impact on the world since last year.

In response to the situation surrounding COVID-19, Games Done Quick (GDQ) will be doing the following:

• Summer Games Done Quick 2020 will officially be postponed to August 16-23, 2020 in Bloomington, MN. With the event being postponed, we will be adjusting our dates accordingly:
    • Attendee registration will now run from June 7th to July 20th.
    • All existing game submissions will be wiped on April 26 and reopened with a fresh call for submissions. If you plan on resubmitting for SGDQ’s new August dates, you will have until April 26th to save your submission information.
      • SGDQ 2020's game submissions will open anew April 29th through May 9th.
      • Games List: June 6th
      • Game Schedule: June 15th
    • All volunteer applications will be removed.
      • All volunteers, including hosts, will need to reapply through Initlive so we know who is interested in volunteering during the event's new dates.
      • Hosts who have already submitted an audition will not need to submit a new one.
        • Volunteer Application Dates: April 29th - May 9th
        • Volunteer Selection: June 5th
        • Volunteer Schedule: July 6th
    • Prize submissions: June 7th - August 2nd
    • Panel submissions: June 8th - July 8th
  • In the meantime, GDQ will be holding an online marathon, Corona Relief Done Quick, from April 17-19, 2020. One hundred percent of all CRDQ donations will go directly to Direct Relief, a humanitarian aid organization with a mission to improve the health and lives of people affected by poverty or emergencies.
    • Game Submissions are open now until April 2nd. Please submit your games for consideration using the CRDQ Game Submissions Form.
    • Submissions to CRDQ will not impact submissions made to SGDQ.
    • Games List & Schedule: April 13

:arrow: Source

RyRyIV

Primitive Screwhead
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
It's a shame, but understandable. With so much going on it's just better to be cautious, even for things that are still months away. Hopefully this is the only GDQ delay!

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Meh.. While it sucks because they're doing this for a cause.. The quality of the events has decreased since I started watching in 2015.. Not something I'd miss. Glad they have a contingency, though.

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: jDSX

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh.. While it sucks that they're doing this for a cause.. The quality of the events has decreased since I started watching in 2015.. Not something I'd miss. Glad they have a contingency, though.

Yup I too am let down by AGDQ and SGDQ they been downhill with the runs being all to familiar runs. Lets not mention the kind of drama that follows there either..

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh.. While it sucks that they're doing this for a cause.. The quality of the events has decreased since I started watching in 2015.. Not something I'd miss. Glad they have a contingency, though.

Indeed, GDQ events have become more and more... lame. Making sure everything is super PC and family friendly. I understand that increasing viewership to be as widely acceptable as they could make it was best for the charity, but pressure for format, production quality and professionalism out of a volunteer group kind of makes it fall short of the charm that it had years prior. I suppose things like the bonesaw incident kind of helped that push...

Edit: Also understandable that it might be a little less heard-of, since the major events are only a week at a time twice a year, but they have over 100k consistent viewership on Twitch for a week straight and raise millions a year between cancer research and Doctors Without Borders.

Last edited by Lodad,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Indeed, GDQ events have become more and more... lame. Making sure everything is super PC and family friendly. I understand that increasing viewership to be as widely acceptable as they could make it was best for the charity, but pressure for format, production quality and professionalism out of a volunteer group kind of makes it fall short of the charm that it had years prior. I suppose things like the bonesaw incident kind of helped that push...

Edit: Also understandable that it might be a little less heard-of, since the major events are only a week at a time twice a year, but they have over 100k consistent viewership on Twitch for a week straight and raise millions a year between cancer research and Doctors Without Borders.
Agreed. It was more organic a few years ago. Just watching gamers come in and destroy various games with cool glitches. Now, there's too much downtime, more sponsors and the obvious pressure from above. Going so hard to be a politically correct event really did put some damper on it. Not as fun to watch. I can't imagine how some of those players handle it.

Reactions: Darksabre72

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Do people still fall for this shit?
Don't donate to them, donate directly to whatever "charity" you want to support.
With how they censor, ban and flag people, and much worse, how they handle things, I won't trust this idiots with any cent.

I suggest others do the same.
Heck even if you don't want to donate to charity, donate directly to the runners, not to these frauds done quick.

Darksabre72

Blue Falcon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea i agree as soon as they started to banned some of the cool people i stopped watching.

btw anyone that wants to know more glink has made some cool vids about agdq banning:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Agreed. It was more organic a few years ago. Just watching gamers come in and destroy various games with cool glitches. Now, there's too much downtime, more sponsors and the obvious pressure from above. Going so hard to be a politically correct event really did put some damper on it. Not as fun to watch. I can't imagine how some of those players handle it.
yep and it's such a shame that they cant tell any edgy jokes otherwise gdq would get mad

Last edited by Darksabre72,

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
My neither ,,, it's kinda let's going to cancell a made up event so we can be known in the future
It's, like, the biggest speedrunning event out there, regularly topping Twitch charts twice a year. I doubt they need cheap publicity like that.

Do people still fall for this shit?
Don't donate to them, donate directly to whatever "charity" you want to support.
With how they censor, ban and flag people, and much worse, how they handle things, I won't trust this idiots with any cent.

I suggest others do the same.
Heck even if you don't want to donate to charity, donate directly to the runners, not to these frauds done quick.
While I don't agree with some of the decisions and draconian policies behind GDQ, they're most definitely not frauds - these folks are pretty transparent on where the money goes, and as was confirmed time and time again, donations always go directly to charity (with GDQ making money on sponsorships and investors). Sure, donate directly if you want to, but the whole "I don't trust them so they're frauds and everyone is stupid" approach is kinda silly - I think one gotta at least give credit where credit's due, especially when such charity events act as an effective gateway for people who avoided charity before for some reason or another.

Last edited by Pipistrele,
Reactions: zapp

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's, like, the biggest speedrunning event out there, regularly topping Twitch charts twice a year. I doubt they need cheap publicity like that.

While I don't agree with some of the decisions and draconian policies behind GDQ, they're most definitely not frauds - these folks are pretty transparent on where the money goes, and as was confirmed time and time again, donations always go directly to charity (with GDQ making money on sponsorships and investors). Sure, donate directly if you want to, but the whole "I don't trust them so they're frauds and everyone is stupid" approach is kinda silly - I think one gotta at least give credit where credit's due, especially when such charity events act as an effective gateway for people who avoided charity before for some reason or another.
That money is tainted from the very moment they gain it by opressing and repressing runners, yet they get mad/ban at them for using slurs about said things, talk about hypocrisy.
That's why I always say to give it directly to the charities instead, not through them, or directly to the speedrunners.
There are runners that make a living out of this btw, and when something like GDQ drama hits them it takes a toll on them, just think about that next time you donate to those events.

People should really stop caring about organizations and giving them more power, and focus on the individuals that make suchs organizations possible.

Without the runners, GDQ would be nothing.
I just hope for runners realize this and make something out of it.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
That money is tainted from the very moment they gain it by opressing and repressing runners, yet they get mad/ban at them for using slurs about said things, talk about hypocrisy.
That's why I always say to give it directly to the charities instead, not through them, or directly to the speedrunners.
There are runners that make a living out of this btw, and when something like GDQ drama hits them it takes a toll on them, just think about that next time you donate to those events.
I follow speedrunning scene since mid-2010s, and I'm yet to hear actual runners complaining about being "opressed by GDQ" or "damaged by GDQ drama" - the worst that can happen with them is being left out of the next event if they don't comply with guidelines, but that holds true for any such kind of professional event (you think ESA or RPG Limit Break don't suspend runners for breaking the etiquette?). Same for the donations - $100 sent to cancer research through Games Done Quick does literally the same thing as $100 sent towards cancer research from their own site, so I fail to see how it's "tainted".

People should really stop caring about organizations and giving them more power, and focus on the individuals that make suchs organizations possible.

Without the runners, GDQ would be nothing.
And without GDQ, such individuals wouldn't have a fraction of the money and recurrent donations they have now.

I just hope for runners realize this and make something out of it.
Runners should realize what? That participating in a massively popular charity event for a ton of exposure and reputation boost is somehow bad because... because? Again, trust me, runners don't suffer from participating in GDQ at all - in fact, there's a reason these people train for months in advance just for a chance to occupy a slot for 20 minutes.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I follow speedrunning scene since mid-2010s, and I'm yet to hear actual runners complaining about being "opressed by GDQ" or "damaged by GDQ drama" - the worst that can happen with them is being left out of the next event if they don't comply with guidelines, but that holds true for any such kind of professional event (you think ESA or RPG Limit Break don't suspend runners for breaking the etiquette?). Same for the donations - $100 sent to cancer research through Games Done Quick does literally the same thing as $100 sent towards cancer research from their own site, so I fail to see how it's "tainted".

And without GDQ, such individuals wouldn't have a fraction of the money and recurrent donations they have now.

Runners should realize what? That participating in a massively popular charity event for a ton of exposure and reputation boost is somehow bad because... because? Again, trust me, runners don't suffer from participating in GDQ at all - in fact, there's a reason these people train for months in advance just for a chance to occupy a slot for 20 minutes.
I said toll, not damage, but sure it can be taken any way around if you want to.
Going through any kind of drama of this proportion is emotionally draining,I suggest you actually at least check out any of the banned runners videos from the user that posted them above to hear their side.

And I beg to differ, without GDQ they wouldn't have a fraction of what they have?
Boy have I ever heard anything laughable today, that just did it. Pull all the runners out of GDQ, let's see what they manage. The runners keep going on their for their audience and people that like them as individuals and their runs, not because they were in an event. You give GD credit than they actually did, if at all.
And no, people don't train for months for the event, people train for years to get good and potentially break records for a game they like, not to be a part of a partisan-politically correct biased organization, and when they do have record breaking runs, they get banned if anyone from GDQ or anyone holding a gripe on them deems them not worthy, when the sole record of the game should be enough for it, not anything else.

It's a fucking vudeogame event ffs, not a fucking Congress meeting.

Have you actually seen any of the recent events?
The runners look like fucking robots now, they can't express themselves freely not make jokes of any kind due to fear, and if they do one, you can see their anxiety pushing through out of all the pression put into them from everyone around, and I'm not seeing tweets of people accusing GDQ of harrasment of any kind to the runners, but oh my don't let the runners say any word in a sarcastic or jokingly way, or else they are the harassers.

But sure, they raise money for cancer awareness, how saints they are.
Excuse my comments, I don't know how I said such horrible comments from such saint event.
I will now see my way out, I cannot say more bad things about poor GDQ :,(
/s

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Never heard of this event. And why the banning people? Can anyone tell more about it?
Long story short, Games Done Quick started as something of a small semi-annual speedrunning marathon event where people gathered together to beat games fast, have a lot of fun and gain some money for charity. It clicked with the audience, and after some changes in staff and formatting, it gradually became a leading speedrunning showcase and reached mainstream status. With that, however, came the responsibility of appeasing the investors, keeping things family-friendly, etc., therefore many wacky shenanigants of early GDQ events were out of the question, and strict guidelines were enforced on participants, with some of the runners being banned for "acting too edgy and not following the rules", so to speak. The debate of whether such restrictions and bans are justified goes to this day - one side misses the old and more loose GDQ and questions the "no fun" attitude of the staff, while the other points out that it's not just a gathering of friends anymore but professional event, so some things have to be restricted. Both sides have a point.

Hope that helped =)

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I said toll, not damage, but sure it can be taken any way around if you want to.
Going through any kind of drama of this proportion is emotionally draining,I suggest you actually at least check out any of the banned runners videos from the user that posted them above to hear their side.
Naturally, it's emotionally draining - I just question how much of said drama lies on GDQ, and not on melodramatic speedrunning community acting, well, melodramatic. Even in videos above, the most affected runners can say about the event in question is, "I kinda don't like that it's too strict now" - which is pretty valid, but secondary to the dramas in question.

And I beg to differ, without GDQ they wouldn't have a fraction of what they have?
Boy have I ever heard anything laughable today, that just did it. Pull all the runners out of GDQ, let's see what they manage. The runners keep going on their for their audience and people that like them as individuals and their runs, not because they were in an event. You give GD credit than they actually did, if at all.

It's a fucking vudeogame event ffs, not a fucking Congress meeting.
Pull the GDQ out of charity organizations and see how they'll like earning several millions less for their cause. Same for the runners - a lot of them just wouldn't be as popular if not for their GDQ performances. Sure, it's a gaming event, but it's not "just" a gaming event - it's, again, a leading speedrunning showcase, and there's a lot of benifit in it for participants.

And no, people don't train for months for the event, people train for years to get good and potentially break records for a game they like, not to be a part of a partisan-politically correct biased organization, and when they do have record breaking runs, they get banned if anyone from GDQ or anyone holding a gripe on them deems them not worthy, when the sole record of the game should be enough for it, not anything else.
Then you don't know about speedrunning much. Having skills to finish the game at near-WR speed is one thing. Having skills to flawlessly finish the game in one take without resets in entertaining manner while speaking to the audience at the same time is a completely different level. There's a ton of preparation that goes into such marathon runs, and speedrunners do in fact rehearse their in-front-of-the-audience runs for months before the actual event.

Have you actually seen any of the recent events?
The runners look like fucking robots now, they can't express themselves freely not make jokes of any kind due to fear, and if they do one, you can see their anxiety pushing through out of all the pression put into them from everyone around, and I'm not seeing tweets of people accusing GDQ of harrasment of any kind to the runners, but oh my don't let the runners say any word in a sarcastic or jokingly way, or else they are the harassers.
Have you? There's still a ton of entertaining runs out there - from Kotti's wacky Hitman shenanigans, to all the crazy stunts oatsngoats does in his Super Metroid runs, to that Resident Evil 7 speedrun from Carginogen that became something of a meme in itself, to the whole Awful Games Done Quick block, etc. etc. Of course, pressure and anxiety do peek through, but less because runners are afraid of "getting banned for speaking up", and more because, as mentioned above, they're pushing their speedrunning abilities to the limits in a single take in front of live audience; if anything, early marathons were more relaxed to a large part because of much lower standards and stakes (participants quit their runs or missed estimates all the time with little to no repercussions, and that stuff won't cut it in a more professional environment).

I don't like to overgeneralize, but again, as someone who actually follows a lot of those marathons (not only GDQ, but in general), I claim people who say "GDQ is boring and restricted now" are mostly the people who don't actually watch the thing and just like to complain about it based on some stuff they heard on the internet. If anything, I put it up to question how "soulful and fun" early GDQ really was, considering that majority of the cringe fodder that folks are so eager to mock (chair sniffing, "I would really prefer if you'd be quiet") comes exactly from the early-to-mid-2010s pre-mainstream days.

Reactions: troa11

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...