cosmo2389

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myotaku.com
XP
Country
United States
Alright guys, so the summer anime season is in full swing and while some of the shows are hit or miss, I think that some are pretty interesting!

I want to hear what everyone thinks now that a few episodes of each series have been released! What are you watching? What aren't you watching? What do you think of the lineup as a whole? Let your opinions be heard!!

But first, here are my opinions (so far of course)!

First up is Kanamemo which currently I think is adorable. For some reason I find slice of life shows (and manga for that matter, just check out Yotsuba&! if you don't believe me) to be extremely entertaining (Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star are perfect examples of this). For those who don't know, Kanamemo is about a young girl whose parents and grandmother all past away and now she has taken up living and working with a cast of hilarious other girls, at three episodes in (with the swimsuit/summer episode coming up next) I can't help but to think that this show can't get any better!! Oh yeah, does anyone know if the person that did the background music for Azumanga Daioh did this one as well, because the way it is styled and sounds, seems to be pretty similar!

Next is Geijutsuka Art Design Class which I can currently (and unfortunately) only find the first episode for... While it was a little random, this, like Kanamemo, is another slice of life anime (Two in one season!? What a treat!! Lol!). The plot, for the first episode at least, was a little basic, but since I have an interest in graphic design, I found it entertaining nonetheless. Needless to say, I'll be watching this one for the duration as well for it seems to be humorous and cute to boot!

Element Hunter is one that is getting a lot of flack among anime fans, and I can't help but to say that I'm going to give it some too... While the element designs are interesting, the character designs are simply awful. Proportions are entirely disregarded and all of the female characters' eyebrows and lashes just bother me (I mean the look just plain weird... O.o). Add to that inaccurate attempts to "teach" the viewers a bit about chemistry (I mean urea, not ammonia, is what gives urine its characteristic odor) and further inaccurate physics (I mean the characters leap, fall and get "hurt" with ease and showing no signs of damage) makes this show a pain to watch (seriously, I couldn't get through the second episode)... Thus, I will not be watching this one any more...

I plan on continuing to watch Axis Powers Hetalia as finishing making my way through the first season. It really is hilariously funny and accurate at the same time. I truly dislike stuff about wars, but this for some reason, I really like this show!! (The depiction of America is perfect!! Lol!)

As for the others... Umi Monogatari really doesn't have anything going for it yet, I'm going to give it another episode before I officially drop it... But so far, while the character designs are nice, I think that more plot could be covered in the course of an episode. As for Needless, and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, I have yet to start watching them, but I plan to soon and I will add my opinions of those as soon as I watch them if this thread is read enough.

And finally, while Haruhi Season 2 began in the spring, I thought I would put my thoughts on it here as well... While I am pissed that the main storyline of a season that has been so faithfully waited on for three years now has been officially screwed by the seemingly infinite story arc of "Endless Eight", I am thankful that at least they finally gave us a second season. Luckily though, this sucky second hasn't affected my feelings for the first and I can still watch it without a problem to satisfy my Haruhi cravings. Let's just hope that if a third season is made, more progress will be accomplished by it!

Thanks for reading and let me know what you think of the anime you have watched! XD

UPDATE!

Bakemonogatari is proving to be really good!! So far I have seen the first two episodes and both the style and the story are really nice, just be sure that you get a good sub (gg seems to be the best from various fans' opinions). I find myself intrigued by both the driving plot and the seemingly unnecessary conversations that the characters have with each other. While they seem like nonsense at first glance, after finishing the episode the dialogue becomes very important. The things that are done in this series is very thought-provoking and, personally, I believe would be very hard to pull off in English. So far this series has made me go wow and actually think about what is happening on screen at the same time... I haven't seen an anime that could be this good in a long time and just hope that the production team can keep it up!

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cosmo2389 said:
First up is Kanamemo which currently I think is adorable. For some reason I find slice of life shows (and manga for that matter, just check out Yotsuba&! if you don't believe me) to be extremely entertaining (Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star are perfect examples of this). For those who don't know, Kanamemo is about a young girl whose parents and grandmother all past away and now she has taken up living and working with a cast of hilarious other girls, at three episodes in (with the swimsuit/summer episode coming up next) I can't help but to think that this show can't get any better!! Oh yeah, does anyone know if the person that did the background music for Azumanga Daioh did this one as well, because the way it is styled and sounds, seems to be pretty similar!

Cute girls, slice of life, and yuri, I must watch this, I'm checking this out immediately.

Yu-Gi-oh 5Ds third season is rocking as well and is much better than the last two seasons.

I also recommend Nanoha Sound Stage X if you have seen StrikerS since it continues the story from the recruits' point of view.

cosmo2389

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myotaku.com
XP
Country
United States
Haha!! Oh yes, I forgot to mention the many lol-worthy yuri (and loliconneriffic) moments there are in Kanamemo!! They are all so hilarious!!! I laughed almost entirely through episode two (female lolicons are hilarious)!!

I haven't watched any of the other 5Ds seasons... So I suppose I would have to start from the beginning... What do you think?

Oh yeah, I'm currently watching the first episode of Bakemonogatari and so far it is full of amazing win!!! The plot, the style, the music, the character designs, everything is so nice!!!! Lol!! I just hope it can keep it up!!

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Vidboy10 said:
I'm not going to even comment on what this thread is discussing about.
then kindly GTFO

@op: thanks for the effort you put in
smile.gif

i'm definitely checking out the first one
tongue.gif

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Umm... The only anime I actually keep up to date by watching is none. Been standing low for all animes. Thinking of watching Katekyo Hitman Reborn again. I was just too ahead, on the latest episode, and latest chapter of manga. Stopped reading and watching since school kept on eating me alive with all the projects xDD.

I am currently, downloading all episodes from 1 to 142. It is taking it's time since I am also converting the episodes to .avi (starts off as MP4) and then when I convert it to avi, I make it the highest quality for both video and sound. Some episodes have sound issues, so I fix that up by doubling the sound quality to 200%. So yea, and also gotta catch up on my bleach episodes xP

Vidboy10

Tsardom
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
cosmo2389 said:
Oh noes... Why not...?? The summer season isn't that bad is it??? O.o (Okay, even I admit it isn't the best, but at least there is some decently entertaining shows, right?)

No...
It's that i incredibly Hate anime in so many ways and almost everything from Japan. (Except there consoles of coarse)
And you notice that im going to Japan in 4 days, well it's because my cousin lives there and we want to have a little reunion...

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Vidboy10 said:
No...
It's that i incredibly Hate anime in so many ways and almost everything from Japan. (Except there consoles of coarse)
And you notice that im going to Japan in 4 day, well it's because my cousin lives there...

Just give at least one anime listed a chance. Most likely your hatred of anime stems from the mainstream (80% of people have this kind of hatred), stay away from the mainstream and you'll be fine. Trust me I'll give something a chance unless it's highly distasteful.

cosmo2389

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myotaku.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
No...
And you notice that im going to Japan in 4 days, well it's because my cousin lives there and we want to have a little reunion...

Seems like you may agree with this then...

But anyways, I was thinking of starting to watch Hitman Reborn because I started reading the manga and found it pretty interesting! It was really funny and I liked it a lot!!

Currently though I'm reading Evangelion Angelic Days and Gakuen Datenroku (I also just watched Rebuild 1.0 and the last 26 minutes of 2.0 (Which was epic!!)), I'm beginning to become reobsessed with Evangelion and may rewatch some of the original anime soon lol!! (I'm trying to get all of my anime and manga finished by the time school starts back lol!)

Forgot to say thanks to da_head for the appreciation!! I tried to make the post nice!!

xoinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
this made me want to get back into watching anime again! but recently i have become more of a dorama convert... but kanamemo sounds interesting... might wait for the season to near the end before it start so i won't get withdrawal halfway while waiting for new eps
biggrin.gif

thanks for the reviews cosmo2389!

edit: btw, any idea when Evangelion 2.0 will be released internationally? can't wait for it... though i thought the first was quite a disappointment
frown.gif
to me it didn't feel much like a remake, cos it was almost exactly like the anime... which made me think why was i actually waiting so long for the movie release when i could easily rewatch the anime... in a way i'm just waiting for the ending; that should be more interesting :drools:

Vidboy10

Tsardom
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hop2089 said:
Vidboy10 said:
No...
And you notice that im going to Japan in 4 day, well it's because my cousin lives there...

Just give at least one anime listed a chance. Most likely your hatred of anime stems from the mainstream (80% of people have this kind of hatred), stay away from the mainstream and you'll be fine. Trust me I'll give something a chance unless it's highly distasteful.

I never saw what the hell was so great about anime. And fuck, even if it wasn't from the mainstream i still wouldnt watch it.
Anime poisons Teens like a freaking virus. Well im no longer going to fight about this anymore...

EDIT:
cosmo2389 said:
No...

Seems like you may agree with this then...
That's Just racist...
I love all Races! Just i don't like the country.
And don't listen to 2ch. It's full of ignorant twats.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
honestly for this season, only ones that look decent are Bakemonogatori, canaan and Art Design Class. though apparently Princess lover is a decent harem (which is very suprising) i still have yet to check out it out though.

the rest, from their summaries seem like the standard fanfare. tough i really cant comment on the others as i'm still waiting on some of last season's to finish up.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
.Radiant said:
honestly for this season, only ones that look decent are Bakemonogatori, canaan and Art Design Class. though apparently Princess lover is a decent harem (which is very suprising) i still have yet to check out it out though.

the rest, from their summaries seem like the standard fanfare. tough i really cant comment on the others as i'm still waiting on some of last season's to finish up.

Not really seeing what Princess Lover is based off.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.Radiant said:

I don't know about you, but I'm enjoying Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei quite a bit...

As for haruhi:

1247897469154.jpg

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vergilite said:
about haruhi does anyone who were i can get my fix of season 2 it may not be as good as the last season buuuuuut I NEED HARUHI SUZUMIYA NOWWW iv only watched the first episode of season two and i want more
tongue.gif
You've already seen the rest of them...

iffy525

not famous
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
vergilite said:
about haruhi does anyone who were i can get my fix of season 2 it may not be as good as the last season buuuuuut I NEED HARUHI SUZUMIYA NOWWW iv only watched the first episode of season two and i want more
tongue.gif
The first episode is bamboo rhapsody, not endless eight.

Also for anyone who hasn't seen Bakemonogatari I suggest you watch it. The art style is nice and unique, and the dialogue is excellent as well. Just make sure you watch a quality fansub (superior's was horrible, gg's are much better).

cosmo2389

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myotaku.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
this made me want to get back into watching anime again! but recently i have become more of a dorama convert... but kanamemo sounds interesting... might wait for the season to near the end before it start so i won't get withdrawal halfway while waiting for new eps biggrin.gif

thanks for the reviews cosmo2389!

You're very welcome (And a thanks to da_head as well for the comment earlier!)!! XD Oh!! A good dorama to watch (though it is somewhat old at this point) if you haven't yet, is akihabara@DEEP, I just recently finished it and enjoyed it quite a bit!! The movie is pretty good as well!!

QUOTE said:
QUOTEabout haruhi does anyone who were i can get my fix of season 2 it may not be as good as the last season buuuuuut I NEED HARUHI SUZUMIYA NOWWW iv only watched the first episode of season two and i want more
tongue.gif

Not technically, as the "first" episode of the new season was "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody" and the second (through sixth for that matter) were "Endless Eight(s)"... Oh yeah, on Sankaku Complex there was a nice video that summarized all of the differences of the Endless Eight episodes into the length of one single episode (for those who don't want to watch them all), but for some reason I can no longer find the post... Just thought I would mention it for those who want to search for it...

Edit: Nevermind, I found the above video in a different place here! Also, I edited my original post to include my opinion of Bakemonogatari! Please check it out!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool