Hacking suggestions to SD/USB Loader

NeoNight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If its not broken........

don't fix it!

wbfs works fine! just grab one of the many gui managers! Also, if you need or want to grab a copy (or yarr it, if you understand what I mean) of EASEUS Partition Master 3.5 Unlimited Edition.

JimmyZ

Sarcastic Troll
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
FenrirWolf said:
I read it. I just don't have much to say about it since most of it deals with SD Card loading and I haven't experimented with that at all since my largest card is 2GB in size. The most compelling argument is the drive letter business, since a fair number of people seem to have difficulty getting it set up correctly.

well, one
blink.gif

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
cwstjdenobs said:
Screemer said:
but native access to the harddrive sd-card on every computer would be great. for example i only have 1 portable hdd and i used to store a kind files on there to carry them around without any partitions. now i had to create partitions and it's impossible to use the complete filesize under my os. very sad. a solution would be a driver for wbfs for windows/linux/etc.. the downside of such a driver would be, that you had to install it on every system you are planing to use the portable drive. in my eyes that would be very 'portable'.

If you're happy with the command line you could just put wbfs_win.exe on the NTFS/FAT whatever you are using partition or one of the no install gui managers.
that would be like my ipod. i hate that i can't just plug it into any computer i want and it gets recognized as a portable volume drive and i can simply add stuff to it. i have a itunes alternative on there which i use but it doesn't work on mac or linux. what i did is having a software for each system on there and i realy don't like it.

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can't just slap any old 3rd party driver into the wii code, somebody would have to write it in by hand.

It's much easier to use WBFS, a (presumably) super simple filesystem designed to make writing ripped wii data qucik and easy without all the hassle that other filesystems would need.

If you think EXT2 or NTFS would be great YOU code it in.

Plus we would still need to use a PC app to scrub (and whatever else it does) the wii ISO's before putting them on, so no benefit there.

madhutter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im not going to stereotype but it seems that a lot of the people here who want FAT or NTFS are windows users. There are better ways of doing things than FAT/NTFS, its unfortunate that windows gives you a choice of two pretty bad file systems.

I think the important thing for people who are not enjoying the WBFS system is to make good GUI's which windows has so why change something that works fine. Possibly even better to make the tools more native to the OS so that the users can just drag and drop files in and they will be scrubbed as course of copying. Not sure how easy that is?? I know there is a WBFS FUSE module being made but i for sure wont be using it, since it keeps all games at full size.

In support of noise i love and appreciate that effort that goes on in the community. Some of it is like magic to me, I'd love to reverse engineer a wii instead of being the mere mortal i am.

One last thought if FAT/NTFS is implemented i hope that WBFS is kept on as an option becuase i would hate to have to reformat my drive, and i would hate to use it when WBFS works well. Also commercially speaking using a closed source heavily patented file system may not be looked well upon. "If it aint broke dont fix it".

WBFS FTW!!

Don Killah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Fat is awfull... even Microsoft ditch it, you should understand what that mean.
Come on, most of the people complain about the fat/ntfs stuff because they need to make their drive appear under Windows in order to copy their games.

I kind of like it since it's just a few steps that prevent noobs from doing stupid things, plus with WBFS bug beeing fixed, it's perfect as it is.

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i am not crying for fat but i want to use my drive for other stuff than wii isos. eg. store mp3, vid files, and so on on it and use it with mplayer or copy those to others pcs. most players don't even recognize a second partition formated in fat.

ohyeah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's incredible...

People are more concerned with small things like a filesystem than an increased compatibility with games and hard drives...

WBFS is designed and optimized for loading Wii games, and support for other filesystems would difficult for the development of the loader and could break the compatibility with games. For God sake, if you don't want to create a new partition in your HDD a 40GB hard drive is cheap nowadays, just buy one and focus in more important things. -_-

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
typical american consumer point of view. if something doesn't work the way i want, why improve it, if i can buy something else. purely spoiled. that's how your comment seems to me. sorry, i don't want to by an other harddrive my 640gb drive is absolutely enough for me. i would rather buy a new game than a new hdd.

i would be completely satisfied if i could get a cross platform tool to put other stuff on my drive. but even than it wouldn't be possible for other wii homebrew to access the drive. most of the hb devs allready said that they won't support wbfs, because of it's main purpose/usage. most of the devs see it as a fs dedicated to warez. i don't think so but i can't change their opinion.

ohyeah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screemer said:
typical american consumer point of view. if something doesn't work the way i want, why improve it, if i can buy something else. purely spoiled. that's how your comment seems to me. sorry, i don't want to by an other harddrive my 640gb drive is absolutely enough for me. i would rather buy a new game than a new hdd.

i would be completely satisfied if i could get a cross platform tool to put other stuff on my drive. but even than it wouldn't be possible for other wii homebrew to access the drive. most of the hb devs allready said that they won't support wbfs, because of it's main purpose/usage. most of the devs see it as a fs dedicated to warez. i don't think so but i can't change their opinion.
But it works, it works great why the hell we need the crappy NTFS?

Damn, why complicate things? Why don't you create a new partition in your hard drive like everyone else? Don't work? Buy a cheap HDD in e-Bay like i did.

And I am not even american...

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
buy, buy something, buy anything,.... thats why i wrote american point of view. i lived there for about a year and that's what my permanent impression is. you don't have to be american to act like one.

ohyeah said:
Damn, why complicate things? Why don't you create a new partition in your hard drive like everyone else? Don't work? Buy a cheap HDD in e-Bay like i did.
for me wbfs makes it more complicated. if wanin had released a usb loader with fat first and reworked it to use wbfs afterwards, everybody would cry and shout "give us fat back. it's so complicated to use my drive for something else". the best thing about wbfs is that it scrubbs and especially compress isos when copied to the hdd.

have you read my edited post? should i buy a portable drive for every application i'm going to use? every other damn homebrew app uses fat to access external drives and sd cards. every damn os can access/read/write a fat formated portable drive. nearly no homebrew can read/access other partitions besides the main partition. even if i create 2 partitions it's not going to work. usb loader needs the primary partition to be wbfs, every other hb needs it to be fat or it could not be accessed. that's why i am moaning for fat with splitted isos. i am not for ntfs, ext, reiser, or what ever. i want to use my hard drive as it was intended to be. and its purpose is to be a portable drive.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Personally i think the WBFS works fine with the exception of not being able to store the game cover images or text files on the drive as the only thing ill be using it for will be game iso's , covers and some config text files.
If it would store images and a text format then i dont think there would be any need to make any changes to it.

also - fat means the iso's have to be at 4.3 gigs which firstly takes up more space , and secondly wont work since fat doesnt support over 4 gigs .

cafevincent

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
I wonder if the SD/USB loader could eventually evolve into this: You put your ISOs to a fast SDHC card, stick it in the Wii's SD slot, go to the new SD card channel menu and see your games as channels there.

JimmyZ

Sarcastic Troll
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
NEARLY NO ONE IS READING THE F*CKING ORIGINAL POST, i insist that.

store WBFS DUMP on FAT do not waste space, i NEVER said iso on FAT.

to cafevincent: technically that's possible.

the multi partition on SD support was broke on SD/USB Loader 1.5, well not a big deal, simply roll back to 1.4 and it works, i just wanna say if we are FAT in the first place, we wonnt even met this bug.

since waninkoko do not agree with this (despite he didn't read the f*cking original post neither), and cIOS 249/250 is not open source, there is barely no chance for this idea will ever come true, i want this thread closed, again.

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
with wbfs containers on fat32 you would have the filesize issue again. i a game is bigger than 4gb even if it's in a wbfs container you had to split the file.

JimmyZ

Sarcastic Troll
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
wow, nice 3 hit combo, so Screemer you did not read the f*cking original post

simply speaking, we need a tool to convert 4.3Gig ISO to smaller "wbfs dump"/"scrubbed iso", simply make it convert and split in one time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.