1. MLRX

MLRX GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If its not the TA88v3 mobo then yes, you can.

2. rad140

OP rad140 GBAtemp's "over quoter"

Canada
    I was able to run homebrew through the Patapon 2 Demo Exploit on OFW 5.51.

Which, looking at this: http://www.psp-hacks.com/psp-hacks-is-your-psp-hackable/ makes me think that I definitely do not have a TA-088v3 mobo if I was able to do such I thing if my OFW wasn't 6.00-6.20.

Still don't know for sure as when I run PSPident 0.6 through HalfByte Loader, I get "Error 0x80020001 loading/starting kpspident.prx."

I guess I just have to wait for my Pandora battery now.

3. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

United States
    Seems the half-byte loader runs in user mode, so pspident won't work unfortunately. There is a program or version that doesn't need a PRX so it'll run, but that one won't tell you your motherboard revisions since it needs kernel functions to do that.

The HBL also works on the PSP Go, so it's not an indicator if you can use CFW, unfortunately.

4. rad140

Canada
    So there's no other way of knowing for sure if it's CFW-able, correct? (Without a Pandora batt and downgrading, that is)

I should have bought a Pandora battery first before I bought it. Stupid. Now I'm tempted to return it and wait for the battery, and go buy it again. Or return it and get a 1000 and not have to worry about any of this.
    I guess I just have to hope my Pandora will arrive from DealExtreme in less than 30 days, before the return is up.

5. Jamstruth

Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

Quite possibly its just had a cheap faceplate replacement.

6. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

United States
    Yeah, the faceplate is trivial to remove/replace, it's the back half that's a pain in the ass.

7. overslept

overslept WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD

United States
    That means it's a replacement faceplate, which also means that it's probably not really an ice silver Daxter bundle PSP.

8. Jolan

Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Which means it probably can't be hacked with a Pandora. Or can it?

9. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

United States
    If the backplate doesn't match the frontplate (the ice silver isn't exactly one solid color, it's sort of speckled with grey) it could still be an ice silver.

10. rad140

Canada
    So, comparing it to all the ice silver psp picks on Google, it looks exactly the same, buttons, colours, front plate (minus the logos), backplate, everything.

I'm thinking that they might have replaced the front plate if it had heavy scratches/signs of use. I just can't see them replacing the whole unit or swapping pieces in and out.

There's signs of use on the rest of the device: the power switch is worn, there's scratches on the back and a place where the paint is chipped and the silver ring on the UMD drive is heavily scratched. There's some fingerprints and a a bit of dust under the screen protector thing on the front. I don't know if it was like that or if they did a hack job replacing the screen or a really bad cleaning job.

However, under the battery on the serial, there's one of those quality check sticker things (QA**) and the warranty sticker has been replaced with one of their one making, saying "If this sticker is removed no returns will be accepted for any reason". Either they just put a new sticker in, or they opened it up and either cleaned it or switched something inside (motherboard?) or both.

The serial # starts with HU4 and the sticker on the bottom with AT04, but I don't think those mean much.

Not much more to say until the Pandora arrives and can try it and see what happens.

11. MLRX

MLRX GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yea the serial and the sticker dont mean anything thing unless its a piano black psp 2001

12. Jolan

Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Huh what? Of course it does, it's the same for Black & Silver PSPs, the region matters shough.

13. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

United States
    Faceplate replacement is kinda' common since PSPs are scratch-magnets.

You need to take the sticker off in order to take the faceplate off (two of the screws are underneath it).

14. rad140

Canada
    Alright, so I got my Pandora the other day.

Tried it out, following the stickies, and it worked! +1 Hacked PSP.
    It's a TA-085 v2 mobo, if anyone's interested.

So, silver refurbished PSPs at EB Games/Game Stop seem to be hackable. Or at least mine was.

1- Me
    Guy at the store who said it couldn't be hacked- 0

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Suggestions, buying,