Suggestion

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by ivwshane, Oct 26, 2002.

Oct 26, 2002

Suggestion by ivwshane at 4:52 AM (2,227 Views / 0 Likes) 42 replies

1. ivwshane
    OP

ivwshane Newbie

I mentioned this in one of my rom request but I'll suggest it here. I think it would make it easier for people to help each other if we could attach files to posts and not just links to where you can get the files. That way if some one requested a rom I could upload it from my own collection and the person would be garunteed to get the rom.

Awesome site by the way and I like the new layout.

2. D2_

Former Staff D2_ Weee!

Featured Posts:
    United States
    yeah i agree. but of course there would have to be a limit to the attachment. wouldnt want some1 to attach a virus or something(even though they can be quite small)

3. ivwshane
    OP

ivwshane Newbie

Yes ther would have to be a limit but even that wouldn't stop someone from uping a virus. If some one were to do that they would have to be permanently banned.

4. zErO
    OP

zErO Newbie

that is a pretty bad idea. because of virus'. People could upload a virus, saying it's a rom, then the person dls it, gets a virus, and blames this forum and the people who run it, putting a lot of pressure on them.

5. D2_

Former Staff D2_ Weee!

Featured Posts:
    United States
    yeah i suppose ur right ivwshane. every1 would just have to take their own precautions with anti-virus programs.

6. zErO
    OP

zErO Newbie

people think up new virus' every day, so virus' scanners can save your ass a few times, but not all the time.

7. D2_

Former Staff D2_ Weee!

Featured Posts:
    United States
    thats y we have fire walls my friend [​IMG]

8. ivwshane
    OP

ivwshane Newbie

Then again if the upload is in zip format and people have their extensions turned on then it should be pretty easy to spot a virus.

It's a risk but other forums that allow this don't really have that as a problem.

And I'm sure you could put a disclaimer some where letting people know of the risk. But downloading any files off the internet can be a risk and it's one I'm sure everyone is aware of, a message board is no different.

9. D2_

Former Staff D2_ Weee!

Featured Posts:
    United States
    thats true but from wat ive seen so far from boards ive been in. ive never seen some1 go into the trouble of attaching it into a board.(they would rather take down the site altogether)

10. zErO
    OP

zErO Newbie

true, true. so, it wouldn't be a bad idea after all. and by the way, mcafee sucks! i have it, and my dad won't let me get a better one.

11. D2_

Former Staff D2_ Weee!

Featured Posts:
    United States
    wat the hell is mcafee?

12. zErO
    OP

zErO Newbie

virus scanner, i don't think it's very good. but some people do.

13. SMN

Member SMN GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    United States
    you don't know if the virus came from the rom or it was already on the machine of the person who downloaded the rom from someone

blaming 1 for giving a rom with virus is not reliable enough to ban the person who tried to help out and that will cut down the number of people willing to help

I would say if you agree to get the rom then you agree the risk of possibility having a virus attached to the file. To play safe, scan the file before play it.

I hope we could all be nice to each other like KiVan is to us. Don't attach any virus on the rom before handling it out to someone. Helping out others nicely & peacefully is our way of appreciation to the owner of this forum.

14. zErO
    OP

zErO Newbie

yes, play nice... without pointy objects.

15. ivwshane
    OP

ivwshane Newbie

I'm cool with that [​IMG]

16. SMN

Member SMN GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Agree! I wouldn't trust on any kind of antivirus for spotting every single virus available out there [​IMG]

17. zErO
    OP

zErO Newbie

is there a way you can have more than one virus scanner at the same time? sayyyy mcafee and norton?

18. D2_

Former Staff D2_ Weee!

Featured Posts:
    United States
    thats y we should backup our files regularly. besides usually viruses arent too bad. and most virus scanners like norton should do the trick

19. zErO
    OP

zErO Newbie

a virus screwed my comp, it shut down my virus scanner, and we couldn't install it again, so we figured the best was to reformat with no back up

20. D2_

Former Staff D2_ Weee!

Featured Posts:
    United States
    heh like u said. ur virus scanner could be a crappy one