OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The best thing about GBAtemp is its focus on portable gaming. However the PSP section is just taking up space. Lots of low hit counts on the topics and very few new topics. New topics are usually someone asking the same old questions. New PSP UMD releases are few and far between. It seems like the system is dying.

So here's my suggestion. Please change the Sony PSP section into a forum for "Other Handhelds." It would make better use of the web space. Of course the Sony PSP would still be included. Its the number one "non Nintendo portable."

Here are some of the "Other Portables" that could be featured:

Pandora:

pandora_big.jpg

Pandora's Emulation capabilities will be superior to the PSP.

GP2X:

gp2x.jpg

The GP2X=F200, complete with Touch Screen, is the 3rd iteration of GP portables. Many forum users own one of the Game Park Portables.

Gizmondo 2.0:

gizmondo-4.jpg

Believe it or not, Gizmondo is returning to the portable market.

Neo Pocket Color:

ngpc-1.jpg

Still very popular. Places like MASH MODS now offer Back Lit models.

Play Pal / Master System Portable:

play-pal.jpg

Mega Drive / Genesis Portable:

tectoy.jpg

Other Noteable Portables worthy of Discussion:

Ben Heck's Portable Consoles (Atari 2600 Portable to PS3 Laptop)

atari_2600_portable.jpg

WonderSwan (The Genius of Gunpei Yokoi)

swancrystalblue.jpg

Turbo Express (Console games on the go)

125748-10-1.jpg

Sega Nomad (Console games on the go)

seganomad.jpg

Sega Game Gear

Sega_gamegear.jpg

Even More Portables:

Atari Lynx (Popular Collectors Item)

N-Gage (also coming back to the market)

Mobile Phones (The future of portable gaming?)

VG Pocket, Kensington, OneStation (Many game in 1 machine, plug and play)

LCD, LED Handhelds

Game & Watch (still on the market)

Check out this site for a ton of Gaming Enabled Portable Devices you've probably never heard of.

http://www.pmptoday.com/?s=nes+game+emulator

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm afraid your opinion is in the minority, and should not be debated. If even a mod doesn't see the need to change the forum, why would you? If you want, make a forum of your own where you can change things freely as you wish. Now please, lets ignore this as, theres no need to change the PSP section on the forum.

feds4u

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Little said:
yes it does deserve its own section because its a great handheld. if your not concerned with its existence, why make a topic, troll it and argue long posts in favour of getting rid of it.

How is suggesting the PSP section include other handhelds considered trolling? That's certainly a unique angle. If you can't debate, simply call your opponent a troll.
smile.gif

I guess you didn't like that IGN.PSP.com report.

Face it, worthwhile PSP releases are growing thin. Homebrew is its best feature. The main topic of discussion on the PSP board is homebrew. That's why I suggested including other portables in that area. The GP2X already gives the PSP a run for its money in the area of homebrew and the Pandora has the potential to be completely superior.

Dont think I'm trying to piss on your PSP. I still think it should be included. I just think a forum dedicated to portable gaming should have more diversity.

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Most of those examples of other handhelds are dead already. there's probably forum for old consoles somewhere in the deeps of gbatemp.

ps. If you don't want psp forum, then you don't need all those ds forums either. hohoh

hamchan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
feds4u said:
Prophet said:
You might have had a point a couple of months back but now the psp seems to be on the rise.

Plus, the psp section currently has 768 topics and 7,404 replies alone compared to the other consoles section which has 1,034 topics and 11,782 replies. When you take into account the fact that the other consoles section encompasses two next gen systems (Xbox360 PS3) and a slew of older consoles, I'd say the the PSP section is doing quiet well by comparison.

PSP seems to be dying out. Retailers keep shrinking their PSP sections, new releases are growing fewer by the day.

Comparing the number of topics seem irrelevant to me. Especially considering most of them are "how can I downgrade my PSP" related questions. (Pandora Battery, I cant get ISOs running, etc..)

I see your points, I just don't agree. I just appreciate the forum hearing me out on this one. I love portables and think its wasteful to dedicate a entire section to the slowly fading PSP.

Are you kidding? PSP is selling like hotcakes in Japan. The first 3 months of the year saw the PSP having some of the best game releases of the quarter. Seeing as how the PSP is a homebrew monster i think the section should remain.

flamesmaster

Trophies
XP
Country
The psp homebrew scene is far more advanced than that of the DS. You suggest we scale it down just because it has fewer posts and topics? I disagree and i expect the majority of the forum agree with me.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
PSP just flat out wins.
The reason it doesn't get that many hits is probably because this is nintendo focused forum.

Besides, it doesn't get that many issues either. Just some headaches during downgrading and thats about it.

feds4u

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
flamesmaster said:
The psp homebrew scene is far more advanced than that of the DS.

You're right, the homebrew scene is far more diverse and advanced than whats available on the DS. Thats why the PSP section should be changed to "Other Handhelds" to include portables like the GP2X and the upcoming Pandora and Gizmondo 2.0.

GP2X already has native Divx support, a touch screen, better TV out, and a superior MAME emulator (when compared with the PSP's measly mame emulation.)

Pandora has higher specs than the PSP and will undoubtedly be superior when it comes to Homebrew and emulation.

Gizmondo 2.0, *chuckles* at least the new machine will be 100% open source and it will have some tweaked specs.

So in a way, I agree with your post. I just don't think a dying portable should take up an entire forum. Especially when the main topic of conversation on that forum is homebrew.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well the psp is dying, but very slowly. about the same rate that the games on the DS degrade =P. just leave it be, it saves people effort when they actually do get a psp and are looking for how to downgrade it to play homebrew.

Deleted member 110780

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ironic how you became the fanboy, feds4u. The staff have spoken. Drop it already. It's pointless to keep going on. If you really had a case this would have ended on the first page. Or you would have at least thought out your argument and contained it to a couple of posts.

Keep in mind that Nintendo has been dominating the handheld market for so many years. This is the reason why retailers don't even carry the Wonderswan. And the public isn't going to hear about any of the handhelds you listed. The homebrew and hardcore handheld fans will buy it, but that's it. Homebrew users are a very small percentage of the market. Right now all that really matters is the DS Lite and PSP, and competition is fierce. Even Microsoft doesn't plan on releasing a gaming handheld. These other handhelds you mentioned will not stand a chance in the current market, will be sold online only, and that means there will be very few users.

I think it would be better to just create a separate forum for other handhelds, but leave the PSP its own forum. I only see one G2PX thread in the Other Consoles & Oldies forum.

feds4u

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Homebrew users are a very small percentage of the market....

I'm sorry to say this but Homebrew is the PSP's only strength. That's another reason why I suggested combining the forum with other homebrew focused portables. GP2X already gives it a run for its money in certain areas, and Pandora's bound to be superior.

The GP2X has a strong and dedicated coding community. Probably better than the PSP scene. The PSP can still do a lot more, but it will be soon trumped by the Pandora. Joe Public isn't going to care, but serious homebrew focused portable gamers will. These are the same people who downgrade their psps. (Like me before I moved on.)

...The vintage stuff I mentioned was just for spice. Portable gaming is an art form. There's also a lot of collectible stuff and weird, foreign market portables like the OneStation, etc...

And yes, I know the mods have spoken, but I've made a decent argument and I'm happy they've heard me out. It's very democratic. Maybe they'll even consider my idea further down the road. Don't kid yourself about the current PSP's longevity. Don't forget the IGN incident. Giving game of the month to "Nothing." (runner up was "air") Its a sign of the times. That's not fanboyism. That's the true.

As for that fanboy shit....
rolleyes.gif

Well thanks for reading. I've made my case. Mods can lock my topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Now that I hear it fully it sounds slightly familiar